1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Italy bans the 'Microsoft Tax'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 27 Oct 2014.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

From a support perspective, there is good reason to pre install Windows - it's a baseliner.
    Many moons ago I would build and sell PC's locally, I wouldn't consider selling a barebones package or installing anything but Windows. Doing so would cause no end of issues to deal with (it was bad enough with Windows).
    If a company wishes to offer barebones, or Linux then that's great, but it should be their choice.

Consumers wishing to buy a PC without an OS, or alternative OS, have lots of choice (maybe not from the big high street chains) but the option is there, especially online (from barebones to component level).

I would only agree with the ruling, however, if it were found that MS were pressuring these companies to preinstall Windows.

2. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

Yes but Dell etc buy the cheapest knock-off crap they can lay their hands on. They don't care whether the 1GB HDD is any good as long as they can say it's 1GB. Same with all the components they use. They don't care whether they actually work well together either.

I can build a PC the same spec as an off-the-shelf Dell and it will be cheaper AND faster.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Neither did I: I chose the cheapest possible parts on Ebuyer.
    Go on, then. Price me a small form factor PC with Celeron J1800 (or faster alternative), 4GB of RAM, 500GB hard drive, slimline DVD-RW, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, keyboard, mouse, Windows 8.1 licence for less than £199. If you can do that, I'll donate £5 to the charity of your choice.

RULES: All parts must be brand-new, include at least a one-year UK warranty and be priced to include VAT and delivery to the mainland UK. Windows licence must be legal; no dodgy key sites or volume licence copies need apply. Parts must be at least as good as those likely used by Dell, if not better as per your 'cheaper AND faster' claims. Must include desktop-style small form factor case, and if - like Dell's - it includes a built-in many-in-one card reader I'll double my donation to £10. I'll also assume here that your time is worthless: i.e. an hour spent building the thing and installing Windows once the bits have arrived adds nothing to the cost of the computer.

Have at it!

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

If someone wants to buy a computer from me without an os, that's fine, I will offer support for hardware, but not software, unless they are willing to pay for software support

5. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

That's true, for desktops. However, for laptops is the exact opposite.

Why not giving the customers choice? A company could always sell desktops and laptops with Windows as default, but if, and only if, a costumer asks to ship with no OS, they should discount the license.

6. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

@ Gareth...

He might love building small form factor budget pc's. Does he get money off build cost if willing to pay to build such a machine?

liked your comprehensive rules!

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even if you don't cost for building it you still couldn't get close, the OS takes up around 40% of the build cost.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Exactly.

Gareth did the math on the previous page and he came in at £3 below Dells price, now the cheapest any Windows ever was legally was £20 when they had some promo around Windows 8 launch, so even with that promo price you would still end up £17 in the red.

Then add in the cost of disposing of packaging material the components came in, cost of assembly, cost of packaging the finished pc, cost of storing the finished pc until it sells, cost of advertising it to potential buyers, the fees for accepting card payments and so on...

You'd easily end up £100+ in the red.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes, and he can send the balance to my PayPal address... ;)
    Hey, I'm not daft: anyone could beat Dell's price if they were able to use second-hand gear and a hooky copy of Windows, but that's hardly a fair comparison. You might as well say that 'cos you could get a PC for free by ram-raiding your local Rumbelows* the Dell is massively overpriced...

* Dating myself there a little bit. Anyone else miss Rumbelows/Fred Dawes?

10. Xir

Xir Modder

I'd buy one for that....
    Heck I'd buy two.

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What even Windows 8 :confused:
    Quick someone get Xir a stretcher, i think he maybe coming down with something. :hehe:

12. Xir

Xir Modder

The latest version seems to be able to work like Win7 for desktop people (what it should have done in the first place), so yeah.