1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice ITX Build Advice (1st build in years!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hiren, 9 Jul 2014.

1. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Hey folks,

Massively fallen out of the hardware loop in the last 5 years or so since switching to the Apple side. Looking to get my hands dirty and get caught up with the hardware again.

Problem is I have no idea where to start. I'd like to put together a small machine (thinking ITX?) for the occasional spot of gaming (Steam only) and general web / office work.

Would anyone be able to spec me a decent-ish system for around the £500/600 mark. No need for monitor / keyboards etc.

Thanks

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is what I'd get. Total is £642

[​IMG]

Presumably you have access to a 3.5" hard drive.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I just started speccing up my rig to give you some ideas, and stopped as it surpassed a grand - much to my surprise.

I think Tom's done a fair job above me, the key thing with ITX cases is research prior to purchase. You can cram just baout anything into ATX and even mATX cases, but you will have to make some clever decisions with a smaller case to ensure that a) everything fits, and b) hot air doesn't build up.

4. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

@ Parge - Thanks for the build advice looks good. Should have mentioned I already had hods.

I see you've recommended a AMD CPU / GPU. What's going on with the Intel / AMD / Nvidia side of things these days?

5. Parge

The FM2 760K is the only reasonably priced overclockable quad core on the market right now. The only Intel alternative is the dual core G3258 Pentium Anniversary edition, but I still feel like I'd rather have the extra two logical cores over better IPC. The 760ks overclock like a dream too. I have a basic board and one running happily at 4.4Ghz.

GPU wise, the 280x's (basically a 7970) competition is the GTX 770 (basically a 680), but with performance pretty much on par, its hard to recommend the 770 for £30 more unless you are super keen on some Nvidia specific features.

6. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Just thought I'd throw this into the mix as I noticed it today but I've seen the EVGA Hadron Air listed for around £100 and it includes a 500w PSU. Nice little case if you fancy something a bit smaller and will probably shave £15 off of your total spend.

I am so tempted.

7. Parge

Yeah that was 150 when I was looking for an ITX case about 6 months ago. £100 is a decent price and I hear the PSU is a pretty good one. Definitely an option.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The Hadron Air PSU is lovely. It's quiet and really does help with the build. The case is tight, but most ITX are, and you'll need to consider your CPU cooler carefully.