1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Just got an NEX 5N - what next?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by dazedandconfused, 8 Sep 2012.

1. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

So after a very long time deciding and a very well timed price drop in bought a 5n with the 18-55 lense, but what next?

I've only ever used true compacts, like my previous Sony h55. I experimented with the manual exposure etc of that camera which is why I bought (after a lot of research) the 5n.

I've been trying to take star shots, but they blur. So I was thinking of a good tripod. But would I really get the value out of it? As I don't take studio shots or anything. If I did get a tripod which one? Or would another lense be better?

I love the manual focus and taking macro shots (as long as I can focus quick enough) so would this be a better option? I've read up on lenses and really don't understand them in the slightest.

The 5n is and e-mount but could buy an a mount converter if needed.

I really have no budget, just looking for ideas for the future so I can look at future purchases (sorry if that's a bit vague)

Many thanks for answers.
    Andrew.

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I'm going to go out on a whim here and just say to use it, then after a while you'll start thinking hmmmm I could do with a bit more reach, or I would really like to get closer to things, then come back and ask a less vague question.

Look for a mid range manfrotto or Velborn tirpod for around £100 that will do for such a small and light camera, you'll get more use the you think out of it & a quick heads up I've never used a tripod in the studio.

I always said if I was to get a 5n or 7 I would get the 50mm 1.4 & the adapter mount for it as that would be an awesome combo :D.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

as said, just get out there and shoot.

i asked a very similar question when i first got my entry level camera, after a few months i ended up with so much gear it is impossible to carry it all, and not enjoying my outings, was constantly fiddling with camera gears.

get out there and shoot! learn your needs, learn your style and only then decide whether the new gear would be worth the price and weight. there's no point spending hundreds on a 1kg lens/tripod when it'd end up at home most of the time, and only get used twice.

4. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused generic babble ->

Cheers for the advice, I intend to do just that :thumb: