1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress La Fee Verte - NZXT Phantom - 6th March, 2013 Update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Scirocco, 3 Feb 2013.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

niiiii-iiiiice. Wish there were chicks like you round these parts. Gets a little boring when you've been everywhere at least twice ;) :worried:

2. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

Thanks, siliconfanatic! I'm lucky enough after moving here to Michigan to find there's monthly "Geek Girl Gatherings." I'd much rather talk about tech and media than Martha Stewart and keeping house!

3. XNine

XNine What's a Dremel?

All I can say is "wow." You've got some very artistic skill! Mind if I throw this up on our Facebook/Reddit pages? I'd like our viewers to see something very unique and original.

4. Scirocco

Go right ahead, XNine. Hoping to have some more in the next couple of days.

5. Scirocco

Well, it has been a few days. Time for an update with some photos.

I began by unpacking the ECS A85F2-A Deluxe Golden motherboard. It has been since socket 939 that I've used an AMD CPU! The ECS A85F2-A Deluxe is based on the A85X express chipset supporting AMD's FM2 (Trinity) processors. The AMD A10-5800K is the unlocked version of the processor running at 3800MHz with a Radeon HD7660D on chip. I may have to try my hand at overclocking once this is built!

Thought I'd test fit the motherboard in the Phantom case to get a feel for how it looks and where to begin:

[​IMG]

The motherboard is an ATX form factor and nearly looks lost in the NZXT Phantom chassis. Lots of room to play with and look at the grommets for routing the wiring!

Now that we had that fun, out come the case hardware including motherboard standoffs. Thank you NZXT for including black motherboard standoffs and other mounting hardware. Nice attention to detail. Even though the standoffs will be hidden beneath the motherboard, this modder's OCD is satisfied with matching black. All the bits were in their own labeled baggies.

[​IMG]

The folks at NZXT also saw fit to include a bit to tighten the standoffs. Lian Li has supplied specialty screwdrivers with a socket to fit their standoffs. NZXT's bit fits over the top of the standoffs and can be torqued with a phillips or slotted screwdriver. That should work just as well.

[​IMG]

Time for a lunch break! Leftover duckling roast in a Michigan cherry and cabernet glaze with mashed potatos and tomatos. Yum. Modders need to top up their energy so the creative juices keep flowing.

[​IMG]

Okay, back to work. Mounting the XSPC Raystorm CPU hardware requires removing the stock AMD mount clips from the motherboard. This isn't a difficult task at all -- just four screws to remove and plastic clips pop off. Be sure to keep track of the metal backplate. This reused for the waterblock installation.

[​IMG]

The AMD Raystorm mount looks great. It has a clear acrylic base with a thin black metal top to match. Four 3mm holes allow for led lighting of the block. Only two blue wired leds are included with the block, so I'll be replacing those with green for this twinkling little fairy.

[​IMG]

In the next photo, you will note the Intel mount to the right. It is manufacturered similar to the AMD mount. Obviously we won't be using that in this build. Central in this view are two of the four screw posts which will hold the CPU block to the motherboard by mating to the backplate. What I find interesting with the XSPC posts is that they have two screw functions: one to attach the block and the other allow precise tightening of the block to the chip for the best heat transfer. Since I am not really experienced with liquid cooling, this could be standard for all I know.

[​IMG]

Here we have the 5800K comfy in the FM2 socket. Remember installing processors before the ZIF socket was standard?

[​IMG]

Ooooh, shiny copper! Nicely milled surface on the XSPC Raystorm block! Lighting isn't the best, but that's me behind the camera in the reflection.

[​IMG]

I think Wicket the Ewok approves of this test mounting of the CPU block. Those are two of the Alphacool copper-finish barbs fitted into the Raystorm.

[​IMG]

If school and life lets me, there will be another update in a couple days. Thanks for following this project!

6. Balder

Balder Calmer than a monk on morphine

Came for the mod, stayed for the chicken!

Jokes aside, I love the theme and execution, big fan of the fee verte to, if you know what I mean!

7. Scirocco

I certainly catch your drift, Balder. ;) When this mod is complete, I'll have to purchase a bottle of the stuff to celebrate.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I know a guy if you have an ewok infestation. Gimmie a call.

9. Scirocco

Don't worry, Cheap. He goes back to his cage without too much complaint.