Displays Large Dual Monitor Setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by juniortft, 29 Apr 2010.

1. juniortft

juniortft What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to upgrade my monitor setup and after browsing my local computer stores looking some monitors I feel lost.

Current Monitor setup:
    2 x Samsung 226BW 22" monitors

Looking at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001379

I use my computer for Graphic Design, Photo Manipulation, Web Design, Programming and Gaming (MW2, L4D2, Bad Company 2) .

Budget: About $400 or less for each monitor

Anyone got some good suggestions? Or Experience with this monitor (SAMSUNG P2770H)?

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

For graphic design?

The Dell2209WA x2? That seems to be a better option due to it's E-IPS panel.

I'd say the NEC EA231WMi also takes the cake for being 1920x1080 + E-IPS.

3. juniortft

juniortft What's a Dremel?

I was trying to with a larger screen. Both monitors are 22" & 23" sizes. Also that NEC has a 16ms Response Time, bit sluggish for gaming or do I not really understand the response time :confused:.

It would be nice to go with an IPS but maybe in a few years when they come down in price. I deal with more website stuff than actual print work so I think I'm cool with a TN panel.

I have a Radeon 5870 and know it supports the 3 screen display. So I also thought about doing 3 x 24" Screens.

Dell ST2410 - $180 http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-1070

People seem to like this monitor quite a bit. Only worry I have is the 5ms response time...Still good for gaming?

4. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

+1 for the 2209wa. Picked one up at christmas there and I love it. £200 back then, now theyre up to £250 =O

5. Widget

Widget What's a Dremel?

javaman saw you got the same monitor, have you pumped up the screen refresh rate to 75Hz? Easy and makes a noticeable difference to an already great monitor.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

That 16ms response time isn't reallyt too big of an issue, 5, 10, 2ms it doesn't matter since most if not all humans can even see the difference between a 6ms and a 16ms, for me, I can't even tell if it had 20ms.

For gaming it's fine. But if you want 3 monitors, that Dell will work okay, but your HD5870 might struggle in trying to run those 3.

Go with the NEC if you want the best of all worlds in terms of usability.

7. javaman

No I haven't. Haven't had any problems with it tbh @ its current rate (60Hz is it?)

8. hyper_somniac

hyper_somniac What's a Dremel?

I'd vote for Dell over Samsung (or LG and other 2nd tier manufacturers), I have a Dell next to an LG and the colour reproduction is so much better, which I didn't notice when I was just running the LG on its own. Running Photoshop on the Dell is much better.

9. javaman

Same here, I could take a pict of my dell beside my LG. LG is a fair age but itll give you an idea of the difference.

10. hyper_somniac

hyper_somniac What's a Dremel?

Got my SP2309W for £175 on offer before Xmas

11. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

You mentioned gaming - my (brief) experience gaming on dual monitors was awful! Screen bezels block the critical centre of vision (where cross-hairs are) where *most* of the action takes place.

3 monitors is amazing however! Get 3 if you can afford it. And I'm pretty sure the 5870 can indeed handle most games with 3 screens, though I forget the actual framerates from the reviews I have read.

12. dani190

dani190 What's a Dremel?

what games will even support the 3 monitors? Not many i dont think...

Btw i vote for dell i literally just ordered another 24" u2410. I have the older series the 240WFP i think it was...

13. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

14. dani190

dani190 What's a Dremel?

lol lately no, i was very very good a few years back. But then i got into mac. Now im getting back into having a pc and a mac. Pc purely because i need some more horsepower when editing images and the mac pro's price just wont cut it...

Thats pretty cool btw...

15. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Anything a Mac can do a PC can do better! It kills me that they overcharge for outdated hardware in the Mac's. If only they would allow the OS to be installed on any PC... Of course you could build a Hackintosh, but that's not technically legal.

Anyway, back on topic, I say go for three if you plan on gaming, or two if you only really do graphic and editing work. For the primary monitor, where you will be doing most of the actual editing, don't go cheap... For the second monitor, which usually only houses the tool panes and possibly a web client, you don't need anything extravagant.