1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows LastPass Query... what if they go bust!?

Discussion in 'Software' started by vaderag, 15 Dec 2010.

1. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

I've been reading about LastPass a lot over on some other forums since all the Gawker media sites got hacked, and am slowly starting to implement it as it seems like a really good piece of software.

My biggest concern however, is what to do if the company goes bust, or (less drastic) their servers go down?

It seems that all my passwords are stored and encrypted with them, and I don't know what they are anymore... if they're not there to retrieve them, am I screwed!? Or is there a solution?!

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

3. vaderag

Okay, so if they do get screwed, then is there any way of moving my passwords to something else (or at least getting them all off) without the server?

4. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Why not use Keepass and back its database up on a USB pen or something?

5. vaderag

I like the ease of LastPass - it integrates very easily and just seems to work... wanted the simplest option really...

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you cant remember your passwords ?

also if it did go down and you dont remember the password just reset it like everyone else does.

i use lastpass as its convient not because every single account i have with everything has random password that ill never remember.

i generally use 2 or 3 passwords 1 of which is very secure as its numbers letters caps in a random order.

7. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

There are two options that you can use. One is that lastpass allows you to export all of your passwords to a text file for personal storage/use. The other is that you can use LastPass Pocket from a USB drive if you would rather do that.

8. vaderag

Oh, brilliant! I totally missed LastPass pocket - that's awesome!

Now to get a new USB key - i lost my other one the other day!! (maybe this isnt such a good idea.... ;p)