Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

B1GBUD and IanW like this.
  3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Preach. I'd keep some of the mod cons like excellent cable management and airflow, but I do kinda miss beige PC cases.

There are still some of the beige Checkmate 1500 MiniITX/MicroATX desktop cases in stock, but they are pricey at £215: https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/Products.aspx?searchkey=8

4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

congratulations, the hole you just fell in is bottomless and eternal

Gareth Halfacree likes this.
  5. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I finally put my hands on this fine-quality tea I've heard so much about.

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec likes this.
  6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Fresh vegetables from a local farm. Good produce is worth the extra penny (or pound), compared to the crappy quality they deem acceptable in German super markets.

Vault-Tec, IanW and Spanky like this.
  7. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Amen to that , same here in the UK supermarket Vegetables go bad even after a day or two in the fridge. Something that gets right on my tits as i do all the cooking in my household.

perplekks45 likes this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

£30 cheaper than the non-Zavvi-exclusive version with black discs, for some reason. Though a big eff-off to Zavvi for using the same dark pattern bullhockey as Parcel2Go: "Your order is complete. £20.87 cash back! [...] By clicking above, you can join our partner programme for 15 pounds/month and claim your reward." Writing it as "15 pounds/month" so someone skim-reading the fine print doesn't trigger on the pound symbol is especially scummy.

Also:

[​IMG]

Third pressing, autumn leaves colour. I think the second-pressing harvest festival one looks nicer, but people are asking, like, £150 for a copy - this was $25 plus shipping from the US...

I'm done now. Probably. For now.

Yaka likes this.
  9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Eaglemoss' model of the Rocinante. I've heard of Eaglemoss before and I know they've gone under, so these are apparently pretty hard to get hold of now. Still showing as in stock on Master Replicas as of the time of writing.

[​IMG]

Don't care if it's the best quality model or not, I had to have it :grin:

11. Gareth Halfacree

[​IMG]

I CAN STOP WHENEVER I WANT, DAMMIT.

One of my eldest's favourite games, and a crackin' soundtrack. Slightly worried it's another one of these "why bother to cut the master properly, it's all for show anyway" ones though - there's a note saying "playing this record is recommended on a high quality player with anti-skate features," which ain't happening. It's getting a 30-some-year-old plastic-fantastic Aiwa and it'll have to like it.

IanW, perplekks45, Yaka and 1 other person like this.
  12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've had plastic fantastic and unfortunately most my records did not like it.They do like my Pro-ject Debut Pro though. A Pro-ject Debut Carbon wouldn't be (too) bank breaking.

perplekks45 likes this.
  13. Gareth Halfacree

My good ol' Aiwa seems to be doing OK. It had a few skips with an MC Frontalot album I got from Kickstarter, but that might have just been crud in the grooves - now it's had a couple of plays it's going through fine. There's some older stuff it won't play, but they're visibly scratched - I don't think any other player'd have a better shot at it.
    Five hunnert quid? Yeah, no. If my Aiwa dies, I've got my eye on a £110 Audio-Technica - or £135 if I want to splash out and get the version with the built-in USB soundcard...

Yaka likes this.
  14. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ive been doing ok with a diy plexi one i built, like games and tech stiuff cant resist when it comes to tools.

[​IMG]

also purcashed 3d printing designs of the same bloke

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

guy has YT chan with some great designs

IanW likes this.
  15. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

A Debut Carbon DC should be around 220 to 250. Those audio-tecnica are great bang for buck too, I'd forgotten about those. There's a Riva something or another which should be in the low 200s.

16. Gareth Halfacree

I was going by the first hit on a DuckDuckGo - which was apparently the Debut Carbon Evo. Same site, Richer Sounds, will only sell me the Debut Carbon DC as a special VIP offer of £99... when purchased with £500 of other gear (hah, no) or as a £999 bundle with stuff I neither need nor want.

Looks like Amazon has it on its own... but it's £300. Even at £220, that's two Audio-Technicas...

17. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

[​IMG]

My new (to me) spare NAS, which will become a 2nd tier backup or media box when (if) my new NAS arrives.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2023
    meandmymouth and Yaka like this.
  18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This would be a decent option, at a reasonable price: https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/pro-ject-t1-phono-sb-turntable Includes a phono stage and, no more buggering about with pot tweaking to change speed, as it has push button speed control.

19. Gareth Halfacree

£379 is far more than I'd want to spend. And, yes, I had to faff with partially-hidden pots to get my Aiwa spinning at the right speed - but that was the first time I'd done it in over thirty years, and hopefully it'll be another thirty before I need to do it again!

Like I say, if it dies I'll get the £110 AT; if it doesnt, I'm more than happy sticking with the Aiwa.

There's no way I'd drop real money on a record player, though. If I cared about maximising audio quality, I'd be buying CDs!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I'm not a vinyl head that keeps telling people how much digital sucks because it's cold and lifeless. But, and that might be solely/largely because of the experience of putting vinyl on the table and lowering the arm and all the nostalgia linked to it, vinyl does sound different from CDs or digital files.

But maybe don't listen to me, I spent too much money on hifi equipment to be considered "the sane voice" in this conversation.

Gareth Halfacree likes this.