LCD for Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M1CUZ, 17 Jan 2005.

1. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

I am toying with the idea of getting myself an LCD. I can often be found going to Lans and lugging the old 19" Iiyama CRT around is a pain. The LCD would probably replace my main monitor freeing that up to move to my 2nd machine. As such it would need to be up to scratch for gaming purposes, not only do i play lots of games i watch lots of movies too.

With the above in mind i have been looking at 19" LCD's (These seem to be the sweet spot as far as cost goes at the moment). The following Spec is what i have been looking at:

16ms responce time or better
    1280 x 1024 or better native res
    ~ £300 - £350 (open to slight adjustment)
    DVI Input

The ones i have come up with so far are:

Sharp LL-191AB:
    Only thing it doesn't have is DVI input. I have DVI out on my machine and dont really want to trade picture quality for the sake of finding an LCD with DVI on it. I also dont want to get an LCD now and shoot myself in a year or so for not having DVI (should i really be worried about this).

Viewsonic VX912B:
    Looks like a possible winner, 12ms responce time and DVI

Anyone have any thoughts on the above 2? do you own one? or have you seen a review about for either of them?

Will an LCD with 16ms or 12ms responce time give me the performance i have been used to with my 19" CRT or should i hold onto my cash?

Also open to other suggestions.

Cheers

2. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

As for suggestions, the Iiyama range of monitors are very good, aswell as the new Sharp ones to come out.

3. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Just got myself a Dell 2005FPW. It Pwns. 12MS, 1680x1050.

-- Native Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz

-- Response Time (typical): 12ms grey-to-grey, 16ms black-to-white

-- Contrast Ratio: 600:1

-- Brightness (typical): 300cd/m2

-- Number of Colors: 16.7 million

-- Horizontal/Vertical Viewing Angle (typical): +/-90 degrees

-- Inputs: Analog/Digital/S-Video/Composite

-- Dimensions (HxWxD): 15.3" x 18.6" x 9"

-- Weight: 17.64 lb.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LG1702B.

From 18 months first hand experience of their 1701B unit. Best computer purchase ive made to date.

5. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

6. Babidi

Babidi What's a Dremel?

How much would this be in america dollars...

£173.25 ??

7. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

I've been thinking of a 19" but can't see the point in terms of resolution-size ratio. Having had a play on the 17" Dell panels at college today, with them running 1280x1024, it looks perfect. On a 19" it would look a bit too bloated at that res I feel.

I think im going for the Viewsonic VP171B - from their Pro series of 17"ers. Thats what you're looking at - a budget 19" or a range topping 17".

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

$323

9. olv

olv he's so bright

although tfts are getting much better, imo they are still not close enough, in terms of performance to crts, for them to be viable serious gaming alternatives to crts. depends on the games you play really. if you mainly play first person shooters then imo tft performance just isn't up to it.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You get used to it quite easily, like a new mouse or keyboard. CRTs give me headaches now :(

11. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I can attest to LCDs being up to par for gaming. I've had the Samsung 172X for about 6 months now, and I play games like Wolfenstein: Enemy Terriotry, Half-Life 2, and Doom 3. I've never noticed any issues playing those games that can be attributed to the monitor, even when Wolf:ET hits 100+ FPS (if I could only get Doom 3 or HL2 to run that fast on my rig :(). Besides being fast, the display is bright, quite sharp, contrast is fairly good (some blacks seem kind of grey, to me at least), and it is thin. The monitor bezel is less than 3cm thick. Folded up, less than 7cm.

Another nice thing are the dual inputs. I can switch between DVI and VGA with the touch of a button. For a time, I was running a single-screen dual-monitor setup, but Litestep got kind of screwy when I did that. However, I did see the stark contrast between DVI and VGA. VGA had blurriness, washed out colors, and was quite soft across the board. DVI is the exact opposite. I'll never put this baby through VGA again without a good reason.

12. daymonkey

daymonkey What's a Dremel?

Right the best option for that price option would to go down to pc world at get the 17" ilyama they sell it has 10ms responce etc i think its around £200-230

13. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

samsung 710t, 12ms however, i still see ghosting

14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Holy crap, I don't notice ghosting on either my laptop or my Dell probably both 30+ms response. That or I put it down to motion blur subconsiously (that wave your hand really quickly and see it in more than once place thing).
    The Samsung 172x or something looks nice from what I've seen. If/when I go dual flat panels that would probably be my choice, but it'll be a while before that happens so of course they'll have some new wonder-LCD by then.