Len's "Chipping" I think...

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by PilchY, 23 Feb 2008.

1. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

I have a Tonika AT-X 400mm lens that i brought off a friend for my D50 who was a pro photographer.

When i brought it he did say that i might experience which at first for the use it had was a minor annoyance and today became more than that in the lens gives me an error on the camera after being left doing nothing for too long. Now if i remove the lens and put it back on it is fine. Now my friend did say i could get it re-chipped or something along those lines.

I just wondered if anyone has any information about it!

2. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hey PilchY,

Yes, you can get the lens 'rechipped' so to speak - though if there is no warranty that may be a fairly expensive procedure. It involves shipping it to the company's service centers where they replace the small automating chip that handles autofocus, lens/camera identification, etc. However, I'd highly recommend you find out how much the process costs - in fact, please post your decision/results with us so we can find out!

Calibration is usually not much of an issue, but when it comes to replacing the actual autofocus functions, I'm not sure if it's a more intensive/expensive procedure. Either way you'll be without that lens for quite some time, and you'll need to contact Tokina to start the process.

Hope it all works out for you. Vers or Jumiera Johnny (both professional photogs) may have more information on the process per se.

3. PilchY

PilchY Minimodder

See i don't know the warranty on the lens because it came from my friend. He did say that it would be about £60ish but he didnt say where from!

Anyone got any idea's?

4. Vers

Vers ...

Yea...call Tokina (UK?). I am sure they will know what to do ;) I can, OTOH, recommend trying to clean the contacts if they seem dirty or corroded...if that doesn't work then you will need to send her in for re-chipping.
    Da Dego...be careful with the 'P' word, I wouldn't necessarily call myself a "professional", at least not as of yet...:)

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I actually have no experience with chipping or re-chipping. I know that some of the older Nikkors can be chipped to allow the camera to know what lens it is, but it's has nothing to do with AF since they are manual lenses. It's mainly for metering.

I do know that Tokina doesn't produce a 400mm lens right now, so either it's pretty old, or you aren't describing it right. They have an 80-400mm on the website. I think the best bet is to take into Tokina and have them go over it. 60 quid isn't to bad for chipping and calibration. Especially if this is a great lens.