LGA push pins, removable?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Irvine, 6 Jan 2008.

1. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    I've been trying to hook up a Thermalright SI-128 to my mobo. I'm using a bolt-thru-kit to use screws (because I nearly killed myself in frustration over the push pins), but apparently I need to remove the push pin mechanisms from the bracket that the HS came with. If you're unfamiliar with the design, the HS sits on top of the CPU while a separate bracket lays on top of the HS to lock into the mobo. But wtf, am I supposed to cut off the push pins from the old bracket so the screws will slide through? That just seems weird, that I basically have to destroy the old bracket to use the screws.
    Here's a link to the directions that they give: http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/support/installation/lga775_bolt.htm (the other link that they give in there is useless also)

Thanks in advance!

2. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Ah, good old recursive instructions.

Basically, to remove the old push pins, you'll find that they have little plastic black tabs which align with little white plastic blocks, which, when the pin is rotated, and the sink is down, locks them into place. To remove Intel's push-pins, gently lift up the two black tabs (one if you have it rotated correcly), and slide the black piece away from the white. Then wiggle the white out the bottom. I can try to whip you up a pictoral guide, too.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

An easier (but slightly less elegant) way is to get a pair of wire-cutters, then just cut the plastic bottom off the pins.