1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lian Li pc90 - Pre rebuild stages

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by huren, 13 Oct 2005.

1. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

So it helps with wiring?... hrmm... cool... Might do it myself..

2. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

yeah i find it aot better.

but no updates today sorry guys, had a mission of a day trying to stay awake and did a spot of gardening with the family >.<.

cheers, whore

3. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

why hello again bit-tech readers, time for a small update.

i paid a little visit to my acrylic supplier today and picked up a few cuts.
    [​IMG]
    and i also managed to get my dot-matrix display wired up, and running on my htpc.
    Me being the idiot that i am, forgot that the ultra-d has no p-ports so im waiting on a p-port > usb cable which should turn up in the next few days.
    [​IMG]
    but untill then its onto the the mounting placement for the display.
    which will be mounted in the cross section of the 5" > psu bay thing, so out came the drill for some rivet removing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    were itll chill for the rest of its life ~
    [​IMG]

But what do we have here.........
    [​IMG]
    while i was attending to the display one of my great mates decided to give me a hand with the case.
    So while he did this :rock:
    [​IMG]
    and i did this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    he produced this....
    [​IMG]
    a nice floor for the top segment of the case which youll be seeing more of later on in the mod =D

comment thread =D

4. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

and this is were its heading atm, but not for long ;)
    [​IMG]
    as we take some more acrylic, and some really hard to see with the naked eye measurements, and some cutting...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    we get the area near ready to house the display....
    [​IMG]
    but thats all i had time for this afternoon folks...
    tomorrow we'll be mounting the display, and working on the front of the chasis.
    [​IMG]
    and the top.
    [​IMG]

so untill then please feel free to comment :naughty:
    comment thread

5. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

well i really didnt get anything done today as i had an extremly uneventful day.
    reformatting, issues with the dot matrix not working on the new LPT card i brought today.

A really empty day of nothing, but i did manage to get the matrix fitting allright in its new home, just havnt made the support brackts for it.
    tomorrow morning is going to be full on though, which im looking forward too =D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the temp positioning shot
    [​IMG]
    it sticks out a tad to far atm, but thatll be resolved tomorrow with the help of some 1mm acrylic
    [​IMG]
    now im also waiting for my new case fans too arrive, but for the time being using the current ones that came with the waterchill kit i obtained.
    [​IMG]
    i decided to remove 90% of the front for a 120mm fan for induction, and also the ps1 screen hardware too fit with ease.

the fan will stick out approx 17mm to the front which will leave it flush for a new inner front cover of the case.
    [​IMG]
    the floor will have a little slot cut into it, as i think it would look better then having it resting onto of it.
    [​IMG]
    and i also pciked up the acrylic and cut for my sidepanels, which are a large work in progress.
    [​IMG]
    190 code acrylic, and in lamens terms dark tint :p
    [​IMG]

but thats all i have for today, tomorrow should involve some auctal modding of some sorts.

so untill then, head on over too the discussion thread
    :thumb:

6. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

minor updates
    creative critiscm, likes dislikes, imputs.
    hit me with what you've got :)

I would like some input form fellow modders, and readers alike in regards to the side panels.
    atm im just thinking of fitting it with hexbolts, or putting an alloy trim around it which will be painted to the same colour as the chasis.
    The lower sectionof the case where the rad is situated will house either decals of system imformation, or etching of them same

ie:

dfi ultra-d
    3500+
    etc.etc.

thoughts..

cheers huren / whore ~

Last edited: 19 Oct 2005
  7. Ryszvaldo

Ryszvaldo Banned

I really like this - what are your side panels going to be like?

8. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Hi there,
    the side panels are 3mm dark tint acrylic, i was origanlly going to use the lian li side panels as i had modded the case to fit them ( upside down / back to front ) which ill show tomorrow.
    The tint is fully see through with a ccfl light source behind, and dark without.
    so the plan is to see only what is needed to be seen, and then with the flick of switch a few ccfl lights set the tune ~

all shal be revealed in the up comming updates =D

cheers for the reply Ryszvaldo, and im glad u like it =D

9. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

What color are you going to be doing?

10. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

Not to sure to tell u the truth.
    Ive got around 30 different colours sitting in my paint supply cupboard which im going to have a play around with.
    I want something thats going to make it stand out more then it all ready will ( being neally 1m tall ), but yet a cool calm and collective style to it.

White is too boring, black is over done, maybe something to tye in with the mobo colours. Orange, yellow etc.

but we shall see =D

11. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

hello once again bit-tech readers, time for a little update.

i didnt wake up as early as i had planned today, so i havnt managed to get everything done that i wanted to, but i have managed to get a few things on the way.
    Last night i planned to get the front induction underway, and that has now begun with the following pictures.

Now as in the last update i didnt want the fan sitting ontop of the floor so i got to work on this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and in doing this ive had to make a little slot to house the fan in the floor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now i dont want gaps on the sides of the fans, so to counter this ive slotted the edges witht he corners for a snug fit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now the fan fits mint, but its missing one thing.
    how the heck is the fan going to hold its position in the front of the case with no support :eyebrow:
    And on to the next process ~
    This involved doing a little pruning if u will...

the inner edge
    [​IMG]
    and with it removed
    [​IMG]
    next was to make some beta version mounts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the final versions mounted in place
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    im probly going to have too make 2 more for the top of the fan, which will only take a matter of minutes, so ill get onto shortly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i used larger rivets to mount the brackets which just stick out to fan for the next part, but will be ground back in time.
    [​IMG]

The next thing on the books was to start fabricating a new inner front panel for the case...
    [​IMG]

now i have a hole in my work bench which looks as though its played home to a vice or something along the lines with the past owners, which when i first moved in proved to be a pain with dropping screws and the lieks down it.
    [​IMG]
    but has now prooved too be a blessing, as i had some very delicate filling to do, and being right handed couldnt do over the edge of the bench without the risk of breaking the panel.
    [​IMG]
    :clap: nice support.
    and the panel in all its glory
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

still a wee bit of filling to do to get that the floor and the drive cover fitting all snug.
    but thats what im off to do now.

So once again, see you next update, and cheers for reading =D

discussion thread

12. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

pc90 updates

yet again more pictures, words and dramma unfolding. enjoy =D

Last edited: 20 Oct 2005
  13. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

well ive been messing around with the dotmatrix display i have for most of the afternoon to no success. it works in my htpc which has an onboard p-port, so its proved that a LPT card just wont cut the mustard.
    So ill be doing a little xtra saving this week and grab a crystelfontz display :naughty:

this ones tickled my fancy
    [​IMG]
    and not as expensive as i had first thought to be.

And id also like too thank the guys at Computerlounge for jumping on board with me, on this mod and supplying me with sponsership, i couldnt have asked for anyone better.

Well see ya next time.

** edit ** whoop whooop 2 pages =D

Last edited: 21 Oct 2005
  14. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

[​IMG]
    omg evil girl from FEAR is in your window

Anyways, very cool project. I've never thought bondo and LL cases should mix because I'm madly in love with the brushed finish, but you seem to be doing a good job of it.

15. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

hahahhahahaha, yeah that doll has since been removed.
    There was a whole heap of them sitting around that started creaping me out X_X.

But yeah in retrospect, im not normally a fan of bog on lian li case either.
    Im a car painter / panel beater by trade, its all we know too do :p.
    I was going to tig weld the front panel together but that would have been too easy.
    I will be however most probly making a new front for the case out of alloy in the near future with only the required slots ( 1 optical drive, the res, and the lcd ).

cheers for the comments =D

16. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

well i hit the workshop this morning for a little while, im still trying to recover from 2 hours sleep >.<.
    But i thought id better continue with the front.
    [​IMG]
    my 120mm template
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    now with this acrylic only being 1.5mm ive left a nice gap between my cut and the guide line which is as easy to sand as melting butter with a flame thrower .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then chucked it into the case for a little test fitting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    next up was to do some more work to the front.

now i dont have any of my car painting gear, sanding equipment at home atm.
    so i wasnt able to get it into the prime stages.
    but its about 5 minutes off ~
    [​IMG]
    with the 5" lcd temp mounted in place
    [​IMG]
    and with a temp fan in place untill my white led fans turn up from my sponser that ive aquired for this case.
    And also the res in quickly ~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well thats it for now folks.
    Im seriously thinking about hitting the hay as im pooked .

more updates tomrrow, feel free to comment

teaser ;)

[​IMG]

whore, outties ~

Last edited: 21 Oct 2005
  17. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

18. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

doing something wrong D:?

19. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Not at all, it's all good mate :thumb: Just a question, what colour are you painting the front bezel? :)

20. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

thats somthing im yet to settle on.
    but something smooth, bling, and yet one of a kind.
    i have around 600lts of paint sitting in 700ml containers which im going to have a little play around with.
    So it shall be fun :]