1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Linx 7/8/10 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Dec 2014.

1. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I dropped in, you were right, the staples guy was clueless!

Anyway, very happy! Got the last one :D

2. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Have to say im well chuffed with my 10 so far. Apparently theres a speed issue with baytrail chipsets and reading from SD cards. I cant say ive noticed any issues. Also, in case anyone is wondering the keyboard you can get for the 10 is passable. Im using it now and nearly able to touch type on it.

Also dont forget to run the system updates which seem to be turned off by default. just done a big chunk of them.

Next job, get rainmeter working on it and a battery tile once I figure out how to get a tile for it working.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2014
  3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I think they f'ed the promotion tbh, the front page has said tablets from £59.99 after cashback the entire time, and while the 8 would still be under that, I suspect the original intention was that they were supposed to be that price only after the cash back and someone made a mistake when entering in the price.

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Review of the Linx 7 here which is also the review published in the February 2015 edition of 'Computer Shopper'

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Linx Tablets product website - clicky

Good to see they stuck a reasonable battery in the Linx 10.

Something else I noticed yesterday - the 7 was marginally quicker at copying the same 3GB folder from a USB 3.0 thumb drive via OTG. The Linx 10 was averaging 38MB/s and Linx 7 was showing 40-41MB/s.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Yeah, I mean £20 for a tablet after Cashback on the 7 is a ridiculously cheap price, :D

Let us know when you do, that's something I want to get on mums 7. Seems stupid that you've got to go to desktop to find out what percentage the battery is at (or is there an easier way than that which I've not noticed?).
    I even had a brief look at maybe writing my own Metro apps to get a simple Time+date+battery status app, but it looks pretty complex, so maybe another time, :D

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

There are a couple of battery apps in the store you could try. Does it not show the percentage when you bring up the right charm? They did the same one WP, you had to install a 3rd party app to show % remaining, or go into the setting and look up your battery info. Fortunately they listened to feedback and added it.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Will do, I pulled a tile app thingy from the app store that needs some faffing in command prompt and a bat file. I dont understand why theres no API for it as default but ill see what i can do. Also a time and date tile is useful something else to make I think.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but when charging my 10 theres a tiny blue light next to the power button.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The 7 has a big blue light next to the camera for the same purpose.

10. David

Installed Firefox (the missus was out and the 10 hasn't been wrapped yet), but I noticed that if you install the firefox "app" from the MS store it costs you £1.49? Yeah... no.

I also had a fleeting woohoo moment when I installed FTL and I could fiddle with the options and launch a game etc.. However, only then did I realise I couldn't command the crew. Unless there's a cool and hitherto unknown "right click" touch gesture? :lol:

11. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Got two Linx 8's for myself and loftie and then a spare that I will either give to the mother or flog on.

However I'm tempted to get myself a 10 tomorrow :/

12. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Used a different charger today, a 2A one that came with the Prestigio tablet, and it charged up in no time, much much quicker than the standard charger.

So I would assume that even though the standard one says 1.5A, it's probably not chucking that much out, or at least not all the time.

13. Big Elf

You're likely to get more charge cycles out of it if you charge it up at a lower current. Also it also helps if you don't fully charge it to 100% every time.

Supposedly the best way to charge a Li-ion Battery is to charge it when it drops to around 40% then recharge to around 90%. Once a month let the battery almost drain then recharge fully to help calibrate it. I had a link but have temporarily lost it, I'll add it when I find it again.

Edit: Found it in Battery University

14. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Anybody know of some cheap tablets we can trade in ? :p

15. Big Elf

I was thinking that.

The Qualifying details are:

For your existing tablet to qualify for the Trade-up Reward it must be complete and undamaged (reasonable wear and tear excepted) and have a diagonal screen size of 7” or more. For the avoidance of doubt each of the following is considered beyond reasonable wear and tear; cracked/split/damaged or open chassis structure, cracked or non-working display, does not power on.
    In order to qualify for this promotion, your qualifying Linx Tablet must be purchased from one of the following retailers:

• Amazon
    • Argos
    • CCL
    • Dabs/BT Direct
    • DSG
    • Ebuyer
    • Hughes Electrical
    • Insight
    • Laptops Direct
    • Linx EPP
    • Misco
    • SDG
    • Staples
    Taken from here

16. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah bought ours for staples, ebay for used tablets with a none cracked screen?

17. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Haven't tested it in a game, but you right-click by pressing and holding; when you see a translucent square grow under your finger and disappear, let go and it'll act as a right-click.

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

This one http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/aed37c4f-ed4f-4305-a0eb-26a5803063a9 ? If it is, that's not by Mozilla. Mozilla pulled Firefox touch afaik. You could give chrome a go, as that has a Modern mode which ends up looking like Chrome OS according to a mate. But i'd probably stick with I.E. in Modern.

19. David

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. I meant a right click gesture in-game - the press and hold doesn't work in FTL, so I'm assuming it won't work in others.

Nah I just downloaded the standard FF browser - I was just a bit surprised to see one for sale.

20. Big Elf

I've just been reading the manual and have realised the Linx doesn't charge via the Micro B USB Port (although confusingly it says it does but the image shows a small port) but uses a power adapter instead. Does it use something like this?