1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Logitech launches G710+ mechanical gaming keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I'm very impressed by how understated this keyboard looks for a gaming keyboard. Nice colors and nothing that looks like it was forced through a wood-chipper with a few copies of the Tron Legacy thrown in with it. It looks very functional and the lack of a LCD display isn't a big deal for me. Comparing this keyboard to say a stock Das Keyboard with MX Browns, I guess the extra price Logitech is asking for is due to the additional macro keys and some of the gaming flavor they added like back lighting for the keys. Seems legit if full N-Key Rollover is not something you need. It doesn't look cheap or tacky like most gaming keyboards but I wonder what color the back lighting on the keys is or can it be changed to different colors?

2. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

$150 is a bit much for a keyboard. Oh well, I'll stick with my circa 1996 NMB mechanical keyboard. It may look ratty as heck, but still works perfectly. I just never could get used to a lot of the newer, lighter weight keyboards. They tend to bounce around a bit on a pull-out keyboard drawer.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Christ it's fugly! Really really fugly.

They could have quite easily made something that doesn't look like that, take a standard rectangle, it's been fine so far, maybe throw in some Aluminium and then hey presto, a decent looking board.

Macro keys are fine (don't use them personally), but I don't think they're worth £150..

4. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

I AM SO PISSED!!! I was so excited, Im addicted to the g series due to the LCD. Eyefinity means no extra monitor for TS or Ventrillo.. Ive been looking for a mechanical with a LCD for ever... and then I see this.... Id pay 200 or 300 usd even if it had even a mono chrome lcd hopefully a mono that is fairly large. 2 or 3x my g510's. Maybe next time Logitech you dirty temptress.

5. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

I dont get mechanical keyboards either really.
    I have been gaming for years, though my keyboard of choice is the first version of the Logitech G15.
    I love this keyboard and it has done me well for many years now, I think I bought it at Christmas is 2005.
    Logitech do make good keyboards, i can say that. and if this new one lasted the same time as the one I have, then that is just £20 a year

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I like the pre-installed dampening rings and dedicated media keys. Those are something you don't see every day. Fn + F for medi control is just annoying if you use it a lot, and I do NOT feel like installing the bloody O-rings myself!

price is a touch high, but after owning three different keyboards in the 130 € range, what's the fuzz all about...

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

lol, razer

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

1/4 of my rent just for a keyboard lol.

9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Their keyboards may be cack for the most part but I've certainly enjoyed their mice. Have had a naga epic for what, 2 years now? I just really like the shape, it's supremely comfortable and the simple grid of 12 buttons is surprisingly usable, I'd much rather have them all in one place than dotted around for each finger or something. Funnily enough I don't even use it for MMOs, I just like to macro tools in photoshop and maya etc to the buttons to improve my workflow.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Razer must do something right to have such a market share, although having owned several of their products over the past few years the only one I still use is a mousemat...

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'll stick with my Filco, thanks anyway Logitech. If I was in the market for a new keyboard, I might entertain it - I quite like the look of it - But as it stands? Not a cat in hells chance I'll be parting with money over it.

12. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

This +1.:p

13. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

Mh. Finally a keyboard, that is getting close to what I want. And then that Price. What a disappointment :(
    If nothing better turns up, I'll probably buy it anyways - I assume the price will drop a fair bit after a while.

I still don't get it. Why is there no keyboard that...
    - is ergonomic (i.e. has a handrest attached to it)
    - has media keys
    - has mechanical switches (cherry brown or clears preferrably)
    - has gaming features such as disabling the windows key
    - is not tkl or looks like it escaped from a museum
    - has a proper enter key (unlike almost all mechanical keyboards), that is to say a big one.

I use my 3rd Wave keyboard from Logitech. It lacks in many ways, but i still love it. I think the perfect keyboard would be a wave with above mentioned upgrades (and perhaps improved media buttons) and optional USB connectivity. Hope dies last.

14. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Because hardly anyone wants those things.

Why do you need to disable the super key?

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

You say proper enter key, but depending on where you are the smaller one is proper ;)

Although I actually haven't any issues with the smaller key, it's much easier to use tbh, also looks a lot better imo.

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I'm having trouble taking you seriously, mostly because an LCD readout on a keyboard is so far from required I don't even know how to voice it.

Even IF you look at your keyboard while typing you don't need a display on it. Surely a gaming pro like yourself has two or three screens??! Do you really need a puny little calculator LCD on your keyboard too? Looool

I usually ignore your comments but this made me laugh. I know you will respond, and I know you will troll. Go for it, I've had a **** week and I could use the laugh.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2012
  17. longweight

+ sideways 8

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It might be worth noting that the price on their site is 150USD. The UK price might be incorrect, or at least other markets may be more interested in this board if their pricing is similar since it's much closer to other mech boards at $150.

Wondered the same thing. Only difference is bragging rights or pointless elitism at that point. I have a hard enough time finding a need for more than 6KRO.

On the contrary, a large number of Logitech's customers want those things. Or more accurately, they think they want them. The whole rubber dome gaming keyboard market is based on those (gimmicky) features and somehow still thrives. Logitech are carving themselves a nice little niche with this board, they get to ride the mechanical bandwagon while making themselves unique by offering all those 'gam3rz' features.

I'm just surprised they didn't try to fit an LCD screen on it as they seem to love doing.

19. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i'm surprised it took them so long to release a mech keyboard, as far as features go it is the best gaming mech keyboard imo (unless of course you don't like cherry browns :D ) but the price and the typically ugly "gamer" design are massive let downs.

i like Logitech (legendery customer support) but i think i'll keep my Topre Realforce ;)

Last edited: 11 Oct 2012
  20. longweight