1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Looking for a mobile telecoms expert's input

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ModSquid, 29 Sep 2022.

1. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Evenin' all! Hope you're making the most of the last few of the lighter ones.

Quick one this time - have just (after much faffing) moved my mobile over to talkmobile and they've sent me a couple of settings messages. Last time I was with Vodafone (of which talkmobile is some sort of subsidiary) they did a similar thing but their settings message then installed a bunch of bloatware that I was never able to remove from my phone, not with an uninstaller app nor even after switching carriers. Understandably therefore, I'm reluctant to do the same again this time as it's a different phone.

The first of the two messages cryptically says:

Vodafone VoWiFi
    If you click install, Vodafone VoWiFi will be deactivated after rebooting​

Why on earth would it ask me to install something that it will then deactivate after rebooting? I know this is for calls over wi-fi, but do I really, really need this? Haven't so far.

The second appears to contain (looking at the message preview only - I did try and open it without installing, but it wouldn't have it) the APN/MMS settings, although they're blank apart from the first line:

URL: Talkmobile Combined
    PROXY:
    PORT:
    APN / MMS​

I've therefore looked online for the settings to key them in manually and I found these ones and these ones, with the talkmobile site itself being spectacularly shiite. Neither of those other options for Android APN or MMS have the same URL mentioned as in the settings message. Worth noting that I've tried accessing the mobile internet and there don't seem to be any problems doing so (wi-fi is turned off, of course). Which course of action makes most sense here, given my reluctance? Will I be missing any quality/features (it's not a 5G phone)?

As always, grateful for whatever assistance the more enlightened here can charitably provide!
    :thumb:

2. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

In the absence of a more educated response than I can muster myself, worth noting that I've changed nothing and have noticed no detrimental effect as a result.

3. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Android has a database of all APN settings that gets updated regularly via 'carrier services', so you don't need to worry about that. The message about VoWifi, might be asking you to uninstall that if you previously were on vodaphone, so you can ignore that if it was never installed.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Ah, that's interesting - cheers bud. Like I say, I haven't noticed anything markedly amiss so that's probably why. I wasn't with Vodafone before (on this phone at least), so I'll just do as you suggest and ignore that other message for now then.

Nice one!