1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Looking for a mouse to replace an old Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by razerz, 25 Jan 2012.

1. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

One of the side buttons on my old and trusty Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse recently stopped working, and I've been trying to find an replacement for it. (I've replaced the cable twice and the scroll-wheel is coming loose as well so I guess it's time for it to finally move on...)

The problem is that I've grown so very accustomed to having the side buttons above/under each other, instead of in front/back of each other as on most other mice. In fact the only mice I've seen with that specific orientation is the Sidewinder series, but I'm not that fond of neither the X3, X5 or X8 for different reasons.

So I wanted to ask if someone knows of another mouse with a similar button layout as the original Sidewinder Mouse, or if I should just trawl eBay for a used one?

2. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

I've been recommended that the G400 and 500 are good mice, they have alot of buttons to. 3 thumb buttons if i remember correctly. It is a pricey one though, what is your budget?

3. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

Look up the Gigabyte GM-M6800, I got the wired version for £8 (which is sweet). It's a really comfortable shape and looks good too, however it feels a bit light...

I've heard there's a wireless version but I haven't looked it up.

4. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

When you say old Sidewinder mouse are you referring to this?

[​IMG]

Surely the Sidewinder X5 is the next closest thing? If I'm not mistaken the above/below button design seems to be pretty unique to Sidewinder, other mice I've seen are either the usual forward/back design or an orgy of buttons on the side meant for MMO use.

5. razerz

razerz What's a Dremel?

I can't stretch the budget over £30, and would prefer it to be around £20. Though I have no problem with buying secondhand from eBay or similar.

Both the G400 and G500 looks nice, but both are a bit pricey as you said. But they might be good contenders if I don't find any other mouse with the specific button-layout I'm looking for.

I like the size and weight of it. The only thing that I'm not that fond of is the layout of the side buttons. But I might get it due to it being so cheap.

Yup, that's the one.
    The X5 is very close, but misses one feature I really like; the customizable weight. And being that I can find the original Sidewinder for about the same price as the X5 I wanted to see if there were any other mice with the same button layout.