Windows Looking for a new MMORPG to play.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dinh, 29 Jun 2006.

1. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

After playing countless hours of Lineage 2, I've just gotten sick of it and want to find a new game to play. What I'm looking for is a game similar to L2, but more fun to play. Please don't mention WoW, as it is a peace of crap to me.

2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Well I don't think City of Heroes/Villians is anything like Lineage, but it's worth a shot.

3. LogicalChaos

LogicalChaos What's a Dremel?

Well if you think WoW is crap and you play Lineage i think its safe to say your a hardcore MMO player I would say do your reseach well and wait to see whats comming out take a look at this game here Vanguard

4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

EVE Online.

5. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

I tried EVE... It takes too long to do anything :p

6. koola

koola Minimodder

GuildWars ;)

7. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Ive just jumped ship from WoW to EVE and i think its great, it does take a while to do stuff but the community is better and it is seriously open ended.

8. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Yep, been playing for over 2 years here and only got bored after about 18 months ... and was playing again a month later when some old forum mates started playing.

The grind in Eve is different from other MMOs though, XP accumulates all the time you have a skill training (even when you're offline) but you need to go out there and make money somehow, be it mining, mission running (questing), complexes (dungeons) or whatever else you can think of to get people to give you their money.

Most important thing i would say is to find a decent corp (guild) asap, as they can help you learn the ropes much faster than if you were on your own.

9. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

at the risk of getting flamed...

you thot about project entropia aka entropia universe?

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/

..yup I know alot of ppl think it sucks, but after 1.5 years of play and a few $$$$ I'm actually making a nice profit there now:)

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Stay the hell away from PE tbh. They have a business model based on each customer paying about $1.50 an hour. That's not the way it always works, I got exceptionally lucky and ended up taking about £300 out of the game, but just like gambling most people are losing. The vast majority in fact. The community is ok, there's a real sense of realism you get from real money being involved. But that same realism also tranlates to nothing ever being free, and no-one ever getting a break. The only good thing I got out of it is that I'll never consider an MMO to be tough after playing for 2 months and not putting any money in(and the £300 :p).

11. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

Eh, none of them seem to catch my eye. Oh well, I can just wait for Lineage 3 with Unreal Engine :)

12. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Seconded, EVE is amazing, they should make all MMOs like this one.

14. buchans

buchans What's a Dremel?

yes but like all games, there are underlying strategies that you need to put to work to profit. In the last 6 weeks I've made well over $2000. Its not easy and takes alot of time effort, analysis and a fair bit of cash BUT when you start to loot and item that can sell for $1500 looting some ultra rare item you can sell for monopoly money somewhat looses its apeal :)

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, from what I gauged the winnings basicly depended on the dev's. If they wanted more people to win they made it so, and vice versa. The only people who said they could break even when hunting were those who went on 8 hour hunting trips(realtime). Spening massive ammounts on ammo and weapon maintenence, they might just make what they spent that day. The majority of people who played lost money. The business model relies on people losing $1.50 per hour, and it seems like a very bad thing to get into the habit of doing imo.

My experiences weren't all bad, but I played Anarchy Online for 3 or 4 months after PE, and I found it to actually have a noob-friendly community. People helped you out, spent time with you, and you didn't have tonnes of sweat sellers screwing over the noobs ;D

16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

PLus AO is free :)

Whens that offer been extended to BTW?

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Officially last time I heard it was january 07, but it's been extended by a year about 3 times now, and it's basicly assumed by everyone playing that free accounts will exist for as long as the AO servers stay open for business. They have ingame advertising which has to make them some money from the free players(Froobs) so it's probably worth it.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

You don't get any of the expansion pack content for the game which is a pain but it's still a very good deal. SOE are doing a similar one for Planetside, although I think it's a permanent change.

19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Yeah, froobs are very much second class citizens. The weaponry you have available to you is really much less good then the payed citizen stuff. Most people either pay by level 100ish(about 8-12 realtime days of playtime to get to that level) or start a new char. I played on because I'm scottish and we're good at being tight(and poor) but for most people that's a limit. Still a good deal.

20. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Silvania Island will be having ingame advertisment as well.

Tags: