1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loramentum - Fan Upgrade! - Update 27th January 2017

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 15 Jan 2014.

1. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I can't seem to find my eyes, they apparently flew into the screen of their own accord. :eeek:

Sorry to hear about the hungry drillbit, other than that it's looking great!

2. OrangeClockwerk

OrangeClockwerk Clockwerk Industries

Dude this makes me want to finish my CNC really really bad haha, such a cool design and coming along great! Awesome work man I can't wait to see this one finished!!

3. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Thanks man, it was an annoying setback, but at least it wasn't something major.

Thanks! Loving your current project too, that Stacker is stacked!

Teaser

Well it's been quite a while since I posted an update here actually, seems the time really has flown by. I've just been so busy lately that I haven't been able to devote the necessary time to get things underway. I did a few minor bits (like adding the fill/drain ports) but didn't take pictures as frankly they're not exactly exciting (we've all seen somebody drill and tap a single hole before).

So I decided to get underway with the cables. Working on the 24 pin right now, turning out to be quite a challenge. I'm not used to working with 16 AWG wire, so managing the connections PSU side has been tough. Also the wire layout isn't so great for such a short run, so I've had to be a little creative in how I go about doing it.

So here are two teaser pics, hopefully I'll be able to get the 24 pin sorted today, but no promises on that front. In any case I hope to get some actual progress made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. DeMoB

DeMoB All of my Dremel wheels are broke!

Aww, I got all excited when I saw the update to find out it's just a teaser post! >_<

I proper can't complain though, the progress my builds make must kill anyone who is legitimately following my progress. >:p

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Another: pronographic.

6. jimbaw

jimbaw What's a Dremel?

awesome!! I love the idea

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Great work Maki matey ... and awesome choice of board games on the back ground :thumb:

8. Aurie

Aurie What's a Dremel?

Blooming heck.. loved the rendering and it just got better the more I clicked!! Very smart indeed.

9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Instead of remaking the 24 pin you can also make a short extension. They are always 100% straight. If you could make the PSU cable dissappear that is.

10. Maki role

[​IMG]

Cheers man!

Thanks! Succumbed to the board game bug a few months back, working around the corner from Orc's Nest in London didn't help either rofl. Need to get a shelf or something for them, becoming unwieldy.

Just need to find the time to finish the darn thing now haha.

Yeah that was my first thought. In practice the distance is just too short even for that though. Rather frustratingly I got about 75% through the 24 pin, only to realise that I'd forgotten to flip the connections 180° on one side, meaning they'll just fall out. Hence why there wasn't an update after that teaser.

I will get on with this and give you guys some content as soon as I can. Things have been really hectic of late (what with uni finals etc.), but now that the summer's looming, there aren't really any excuses not to get a move on.

11. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

when is the next update i facking love this

12. Maki role

HELLO EVERYBODY!

I see it's been quite a while since I posted an update. In fact it's been a bloody long time. I've just been so busy over the last couple of months that finding the time to work on this and Azure Redux has been basically impossible.

I had meant to have the wiring all done by now, but I ran into some interesting complications. Trying to make a direct cable from the PSU to the motherboard simply looked rubbish. It's not long enough to twist, and since the pinout isn't 1:1, it became a messy fan. So to counteract this, I'm changing a part of the design to allow for a very short cable that corrects the pin layout, and making a 1:1 extension instead. This should keep things very neat and similar to the original design. I haven't made it yet, but I'll hopefully make some progress there over the weekend, shouldn't be a huge job really.

So as not to leave you hanging, I took some more pictures! I managed to get round to making the fill and drain ports, I also received the fans and coolant dye the other day. I've decided to go for the black Phobya NB e-loops, which I must say look stunning in person, they should fit in with the build very nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that I have the time, expect more regular updates!

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Hooray more updates on this!

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*Grunt* more bigger update!

15. Maki role

Well let's try to keep this a more regular occurrence eh?

Ask and ye shall receive... eventually :p

Update time!

Well with a little more time on my hands, I decided to crack on with some of the important bits of the project. It's not exactly a big update, but each element is pretty important in it's own right.

Finally managed to get this bugger out of the way. This teeny extension should allow the cables to pass 1:1 from the motherboard to the flipped PSU, it will also be completely hidden so don't worry.
    [​IMG]

Also picked up this rather long extender, certainly looks the business.
    [​IMG]

Seen this used to great effect before, should provide a nice golden glow rather than harsh white.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

They seem to have come out pretty well
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

Great to see some progress on this!

I'd seen the sharpie trick before, never thought it was legit until now, though.

17. Maki role

I must admit I was surprised to see just how well it did seem to work. Whilst I haven't had the chance to try the RAM out yet since doing that to see if it works the way I intended, it certainly looks like it should do the trick. Handy thing is that if it looks bad, I can just pick up a lightbar upgrade kit and redo it differently, Corsair did a good job with that accessory idea.

18. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

MORE NEED MORE

Verstuurd van mijn GT-S7500 met Tapatalk

19. Maki role

Well here's a little more then :D

Well I've finally managed to find both the time, drive and location to get the gold plating underway. I've decided to go with the GPU plate, the plugs, EK logos and of course the RAM heatspreaders. The reason it took a while to get to this stage is that quite frankly I didn't trust most of the plating people I checked out. There are 3 metals to be plated here, 2 of which (steel and aluminium) aren't usually accepted, so I wanted to find a place that would be able to manage fine whilst still working with individual pieces (many skip straight to trade customers only).

Whilst this isn't exactly a big update, I figured you guys might want to be kept in the loop. Here are the pics I sent to the plating people, sadly I only had my phone with me so they look a bit anaemic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 50p was just for scale since I doubted they'd be able to tell much about the size without something consistent. Sadly I didn't have a ruler to hand, would have been easier.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, gold plating is tricky. I'm looking into it for the copper parts of my waterblock. Pricey too.