1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Lord of the Lathes

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by skyrip, 12 Sep 2014.

1. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

Hey everybody,

As some of you might know I have recently started a small business to make some high end rigid tube fittings named Illumitube. I currently make these using my 4 axis milling machine and that works good for now with small numbers. The parts however can be manufactured much more easily and faster on a lathe. Since this is not the first time that I have encountered this problem I have decided to build my own scratch build lathe.

I have started designing this machine in June this year and I'm currently in the phase of making and collecting the required parts.

The lathe will be a Turn-Mill machine meaning that it will be able to function as a lathe but also make squares using the mill. Furthermore the lathe part will be equipped with an automatic toolchanger to enable semi professional production.

First I would like to start by giving you an overview of the design:

[​IMG]

The green parts have already been made so they are marked so i don't change the designs anymore.

In the current design the lathe would have an effective range of about 1000mm with a maximum diameter of 100mm. The total dimentions will be: (lxhxb) 1400mm*600mm*750mm and according to solidworks it should weigh about 500-600kg. The frame will be made of steel.

Well next up I have a couple of parts that have arrived already:

The spindle:
    [​IMG]
    With a 100mm 4 claw:
    [​IMG]

The spindle with the bearings(1x80mm and 1x72mm)
    [​IMG]

The harmonic drive(for the toolchanger)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the last parts are the green marked parts which will be the spindle housing with the servo motor mount:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The last one also has one of the alu blocks that i will use to make the bearing housings.

I have a lot of work to do on the Steel plates which I will probably do sometime this month or later :p
    This project will probably be finished somewhere next year because I still have to get some money to pay for the rest of the parts :lol:

2. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

I do hope so :p it is also the reason that i started with the steel of the spindle housing. It is the smallest part and also the the hardest to make/ has the lowest tolerances.

btw sorry for the large pictures, was a wrong setting by accident.

3. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Oh my! This is going to be good!