1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress | LUMO |-Completed and on In Wins stand at I series...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B NEGATIVE, 15 Sep 2014.

1. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

[​IMG]

Keeping the updates thick and fast,the EK PE rads have arrived!
    This is great as the trays should be in my hands this week and I need to start betting the rad/fan assemblies ready for on tray placement. I dont have a massive amount of room so thickness could be an issue...we will soon see how well i judged it.

Or not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thin but high FPI,just what I need!

[​IMG]

The reason I went with these rads specifically is size and the ability to remove the sides for painting,black marbling will look very tidy with the graphics going over the top of it.​

2. Hasle

Hasle nohasslemods›

Lovely rads. Just bought one myself. :)

3. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

What fittings are those? The ones in the radiator first. I thought I needed those nickel extensions of EKWB to be able to fit a regular fitting on it.

4. Hasle

Hasle nohasslemods›

I'm pretty sure those come with the rad. Although I'm sure the ones on the one I ordered are just plain nickel - maybe B NEG swapped them for black ones?

5. B NEGATIVE

They are the stock fittings now,there must of been a design change.

6. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I have the same rads and they have the 1/4 holes in the rad and then the casing around it so get to the rad with a regular fitting they came with the nikkel extenders. If these are the newer ones then they did a good job :)

7. B NEGATIVE

The flouro plugs arrived!,the whole PSU is being decked out in Teleios Dark grey and those lumo plugs,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should look good plugged into the exposed backside of the Aquaero...which has the heatsink arriving tomorrow also.

In Win provide a very tidy 240 rad holder that shrouds the fans completely...I like this very much so I called In Win and they sent a second shroud for the second rad,great success!

There will be an E22 FG03 going on to the face to tidy it up....

[​IMG]

THE STAINLESS STEEL TRAYS ARRIVE TOMORROW!!!!​

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Are you going to gunmetal those rads?

9. B NEGATIVE

They are being marbled,only the side plates tho.

[​IMG]

The trays arrived yesterday and I got the marbling done today,this is still raw with no clearcoat so its a bit bumpy. I still have to smooth it a little with some wet and dry and then lots of clear,sanding in between to flat of the high points but fill the low. It will get depth and the clear will soften the edges of the marble.

The standoffs are bolt thru M3 from Wurth Electronik,11mm. This is so I can use the banchetto PCI clamps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the FG03 from E22 to go one the front facing rad/fan assembly.

[​IMG]

10. Akira749

Akira749 What's a Dremel?

Nice job on the marble!!!!

11. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

That paint finish is glorious! Can't wait to see what it's like with all the sanding and clear coat.

Also, any recommendations on backing vinyls? I picked up a load of studio photography equipment a couple weeks back too, been experimenting a lot, still have a long way to go to reach your results though. ATM I have paper roll backings, but they don't diffuse light as well as vinyl, nor can they get a faint gloss on dark backings, they can't be cleaned either which I imagine will end up a pain.

12. B NEGATIVE

:thumb:

Its really easy to do tbh,its not out of reach for a DIY'r

I really like the vinyl,very easy to work with. Paper creases easily which what put me off.

[​IMG]

So...The trays are painted and fitted with some 25mm spacers until the acrylic arrives.
    Also,first time out for the grey backdrop with all that yellow!

Nate@e22 turned these around very quickly for me,I thought the renders looked cool but to see it in the case has made up my mind that I am on the right track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I marbled the rad sides and made a graphic for them,jury is out as to whether I use it or not...thats a job for after fitment and a little look-see.

Due to the incredibly tight space in the frame,I reckon that if I use 20" of tube I will be amazed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Nov 2014
  13. Akira749

Quick idea if you're still unsure about the design on the rad...you could do the reverse pattern of your design. It would be a little less yellow and could look good. Another idea would be to only have a pin stripe of yellow that would run the edge from the shaterred pattern and surround the EK logo.

But don't get me wrong the current idea is cool too :)

14. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

OOOOOOOOOOOh my gaaaaaaawd

How do you come up with a colourscheme like this? And the marble and the combination. I love it!

I also really like the gfx on the side of the radiator. I can understand you want to see it attached first. One could add too much yellow detail and overdo it.

But so far it is guuuuuuuuwd

15. B NEGATIVE

That graphic was purposely done on the backside of the rad next to the tray so It wont be seen.
    I dont like it if im honest as it doesnt tie into anything.

So,im shrinking it to half height,ditching the breakup section and going for a full length stripe instead

Exactly.
    I dont want to have to peel stuff off later thats for sure.

I follow a simple guide for pallette,3 colours or 2 colours and a texture/material change.
    And dont paint bloody everything!

16. Akira749

Cool :thumb:

17. B NEGATIVE

So a quick change of graphic and the assembly of the rad and fans can begin.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may go a step further and do the intake edges as well as the surround of the fan grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sticky tape, fan intakes... don't. You will regret that when the Magoo hair hits it.

Um... No one has ever done yellow ultrabright LEDs. -Just a thought. (Well maybe Phinix. I forget.)

@Hukkel - MAXIMUM contrast.:hehe: Contrast so strong the camera flips its sh*t.

19. B NEGATIVE

I did think about this for the back of the fan hub...but I didnt want to illuminate the dust that will gather.....

20. Akira749

I really love the new strip design you did on the rad! :thumb: