1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Machined Billet Alumium Cased Power PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_R1_Kid, 26 Dec 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The rulez say:

Do his posts contain pics of the work in progress? --check.

Is it a work log? --check.

Does it show not only the finished project but also a log of the work done? --check.

It's a project log. Perhaps not as participatory as we'd like, but it is within the rules.

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Its a log, nuf said.

Just because cheaps can't bump it, doesn't mean its not a log!

3. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid What's a Dremel?

I sort of agree with you John, but this was designed, built, and assembled in a week. That time frame doesn't lend it's self to a traditional, drawn out, build log.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Fastest log ever? :D.

5. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Where the bloody hell are ya'?

lol Attack of the hating nerds!! :lol:

poor guy...

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

No hate implied. Inspiring mod. Billet case had to come sooner or later. The discussion is about the presentation and how it fits in with the traditional Project Log.

I have 3 MOTM nominations and one winner.

Just reflecting on the way things have been done here.

john

/edit

Oh, and I have been a nerd since before keyboards were invented. Thanks for the complement.

7. NavidsonRecord

no need to take it personally mate. I know what you meant in the first place. just having a laugh

8. jhanlon303

I had to take 10 months off to do some secret stuff for 2 squadron, RAAF and it just seems a bit different coming back.

Only thing I ever take personally is my Guinness. SMINE!

9. NavidsonRecord

oh cool! So I'm guessing you work in the aerospace industry... Maybe something to do with the old F111?? Civilian or military?

10. jhanlon303

737 Wedgetail. Google it.

11. NavidsonRecord

yea they aren't that exciting lol

12. jhanlon303

If you have to work, it's one hellish nice office.

13. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I'm with John. Not that some amount of it for me at least is haterism in that I don't have easy access to such kick-ass facilities, but these sorts of logs are never very satisfying. This was just 3 minutes of flicking my mouse wheel. Had I not felt the need to throw my .02 in, I'd have likely moved on to a different log and forgotten about this entirely by now.

I will also throw in the 'don't get me wrong, it's a good project, etc, etc'. It is, but it's those long, drawn-out logs that keep me coming here. The projects by Phinix, Cheaps, Craigbru, AnG3L and a dozen others I'm leaving out are why I come here. Watching them come up with an idea and start building it, overcoming unforeseen challenges, having the community come together when the builder gets stuck...OK, now I sound like an after-school special, but I think y'all dig where I'm coming from.

All that said, top-notch work and lawd, what I wouldn't give to have those kinda skills :thumb:

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If people feel deprived because they haven't been able to be part of the creative process, ask questions and make comments, then how come they are not doing it now? Less commenting on how the log was posted, more commenting on the mod itself please. For instance:

- given that it is meant to be portable, how much does this billet case weigh?

- What's the structural integrity like? Would it survive a drop?

- what is planned for the CD ROM cover?

- how's the temps? Noise?

- why not use heatpipes to transfer some of the system heat to the case? Missed an opportunity there.

- anodising? What colour? Why not leave it shiny chrome? How about decorative etching?

- Any plans for expansion modules?

See, aint so hard. :)

15. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

I'm glad he contributed to the forum; I like the design--straight forward and simple. I would like to see it chem filmed or anodized though; it will not stay looking that nice for long if he doesn't. I like the custom power switch...might borrow the idea:)

16. GCOFIELDD

GCOFIELDD Minimodder

I would like to see what you would design for yourself outside of work, given more time, that would be a good log :)

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Very true & all good questions, I'm mostly amazed by the record breaking time to make a case :clap: & the included handle is a very nice touch & the upside down motherboard mount & like GCOFIELDD said imagine what this guy could do given a few months of designing & finishing :jawdrop:, personally I think it would be mad not to anodise this.

18. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Thats it's exactly what I'm on about

19. Carl97

Carl97 Sorry, for my bad english.

Nice build!

20. The_R1_Kid

The_R1_Kid What's a Dremel?

- given that it is meant to be portable, how much does this billet case weigh?
    The case by it's self weighs 11.04 pounds. A Bit heavier than I would of liked. If had to do it over again i would have made the plates 1/4inch thick. That alone without other design changes would drop the weight to 6.75 pounds.

- What's the structural integrity like? Would it survive a drop?
    It is very strong and over built. I could probably use it as a jack stand for my car. It would for sure with stand a drop. I bet the PC components would as well.

- what is planned for the CD ROM cover?
    At the moment I plan on painting it a gray color. I have too many other projects on my to do list, to really dedicate much more time to my work PC. If there is enough interest, and if people would be willing to buy a few of them. I could make a billet aluminum face plate and disk tray face plate sooner rather than later.

- how's the temps? Noise?
    It's running nice and cool, and It's nearly silent I haven't heard the fans go to 100% yet. later this week I will be doing some CFD work that will really push the processor. We will see then how it does.

- why not use heatpipes to transfer some of the system heat to the case? Missed an opportunity there.
    That's a good Idea. I considered it if I wasn't able to get adequate air flow, But the case moves air in and out really well.

- anodising? What colour? Why not leave it shiny chrome? How about decorative etching?
    Anodizing Is a plating process that leaves an aluminum oxide coating on the surface of a part a few mils thick. aluminum oxide is much harder than aluminum and doesn't corrode.

I was thinking of polishing the housing (except the pockets) to an almost chrome like finish then anodizing it a translucent black or gray. That would look like a black chrome or tinted chrome look. Similar to a few cell phone cases i have seen.

- Any plans for expansion modules?
    There is room for one more full sized hard drive if needed. and all the motherboard expansion slots are available if needed.

If I had more time To build a case...
    It would be a machined aluminum and carbon fiber case. I have been doing alot of work in composites lately. Focusing on light weight, and portability. While still being able to upgrade hardware if needed. I'm almost be describing a laptop... but that wouldn't be any fun.

Unfortunately I am in the process of starting my own business, 40% in another start up, and working full time at yet another start up. So side projects unless there is money involved are not really possible.