Other Making a page compatible with IE

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 1 Oct 2009.

1. TheMusician

TheMusician Audio/Tech Enthusiast/Historian

So the rough draft of my site's home page works great on Firefox, and works great on Safari, as told by a friend of mine. However, on IE, the translucent DIV boxes come out as completely transparent. (solved) the position of DIVs on the page does not work. I'm using absolute positioning, often with negative margin values to place boxes in exact locations.

Is there some sort of IE implement I could put in my code to make it work?

Code:
    #box{
    background-color: rgba(51,51,51,0.6);
    width:200px;
    height:624px;
    voice-family: "\"}\"";
    voice-family: inherit;
    margin-right:12px;
    margin-top:-624px;
    float:right;

}
    ^ Here's an example. I have a DIV aligned to the right, but leaning to the left by 12 pixels, and vertically aligned with other DIVs on the page, 624 pixels up from where it would naturally be.

*sigh*
    I wonder how MS can live with itself knowing that out of all the browsers in the town, Internet Explorer is the village idiot.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2009
  2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm not great with web coding, so I can't really help in that regard. I can, however, answer your rhetorical question:

As long as web designers come up with work-arounds because the vast waste of humanity still uses IE because that's what their computers shipped with, then Microsoft will have no trouble sleeping at night.

-monkey

3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

link to the site?

Sort of with supermonkey on this one - i'm pretty much of the stance that the longer web designers go on catering for an awful, insecure, fundamentally poorly constructed browser - the longer the browser will live on. In short, I just don't bother anymore.