1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress MBF: Plank --12 20 08--Finished w/ final pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 30 Oct 2008.

1. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I like the ideas in the sketches Cheapskate, this'll look good. So what color is the wood gonna be stained or painted? Are you gonna make it girly and do a pink stain?

Jhanlon, I have an old western digital caviar hdd just like that in the closet, but with 1gb capacity :D It probably still works.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks guys.:D
    @bradders2125 - I've pulled a few sets of platters out of drives for similar plans. I have a disc from a 5 1/4" 20 gig drive. I would like to find a few more....
    @barry99705 - :lol: -Obviously requires a full Brazilian. Does it come with a pair of pasta strainers for a bra?
    @Mvagusta - Stain depends on what I find works well. I have dozens of choices in the garage. I even found a can of Danish oil.
    On that note... Winter is coming. It's the only time of the year that the garage is liveable, (and cleanable.) It's time to start shaking cans, and toss out the ones that go 'clunk.':hehe: I may be a packrat, but there's no point in keeping a can of paint that dried sometime during the early '80s.

4. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

Wuts MBF by the way? Mom's Best Friend?

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Winter is coming to Houston? Must be brutal! I hope the mail can get through. Winter is coming to Colorado too - winter storm watches and warnings for the high country - only 10" snow.
    Going to be cold and damp down here - maybe I can wear my new Royal Mail coat.

Meantime Between Failures?
    Mom Better Feed me?
    Mom's Baked Foods?
    My Board Fun?

This could be an interesting question.

John

6. Cheapskate

My best friend, Plank. I figured I'd do another cartoon network reference. Acey's version is kinda gross.:eyebrow:
    Winter here means 70 degrees.

7. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

another mod? geeze man! keep them coming though, and as far as the chainmaille goes, i make those as a side job. not very profitable. but the fitting sessions are great. lolz.

8. jhanlon303

So! Where's this wood you talk about? In the fireplace to keep warm at 70 degrees? Come on with an update.

John

9. Cheapskate

@jodah - It seems to me like they would rust...and sound like hell in the dryer.
    @John - here...
    [​IMG]
    -I'm up to something... and it's not making clown faces with odd objects.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm going to see if I can cast some tin ornaments. This cast was a bust. I didn't get the knob in deep enough. I also should switch back to a mix of mortar and grout.
    [​IMG]
    -I decided the power supply should go under the hard drive. To keep the slaughter of Bic pens to a minimum, I made a bracket. Here you can see I somehow forgot to cut out one spot. HOW I didn't notice the red I'll never know.
    [​IMG]
    -Whup! I fogot the access to the screw holes. Test fit often, boys and girls.
    [​IMG]
    -Now that everything is mounted up I can get to the outsides.
    [​IMG]
    -The table saw is almost new because I'm still wary of it. -Something about an absent-minded person pushing stuff into an exposed blade gives me the willies. I took this chance to see if I could clean up some scraps from a door I had to replace. It was an old door, and filled with rough bits of real wood!:jawdrop: Most 'solid' doors you buy nowadays are stuffed with something that resembles dryer lint.
    [​IMG]
    -Not bad. :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    -I put the table saw away too soon. It seems that the fine tooth blade on the miter saw is dull.
    [​IMG]
    -I milled out a groove for the baseplate to rest in. Mounting points are going to be tricky.
    [​IMG]
    -I have outer walls now. I bought another board like the first to do the top. That cleaned out their stock.:blah:
    [​IMG]
    -A large amount of my time is wasted looking for stuff. I know exactly where my fan template is...It's in this box somewhere...and why are the 80mm grills not in the same box?
    [​IMG]
    -I found it...
    [​IMG]
    -I cut the slot for the floppy with an 1/8" mill bit.
    [​IMG]
    -Then did a finger groove with a countersink bit. I tried to keep the bit from tearing the wood when the rotation was against the grain. I wonder if stuffing a bit of pine in the slot would help stop the tearing. I'll get to try again soon anyway. I forgot the floppy was upside-down, and the floppy faceplate I traced was the one that didn't match the others during the Bloo project. I gotta make that side over.

Hypnotoad is getting sanded heavily right now. There's not enough to see to merit an update...

10. jhanlon303

This is coming along nicely. The only thought or concerns I might have would be to turn the power supply board around 180 degrees to put the 20 pin header towards the back of the case. The Jetway board, (if you are using it) has the 20/24 pin on the motherboard very close to the I/O back. It might make cable management easier.

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:hehe:

Nice, Cheaps. Looking forward to watching this one, like all your logs. And making stuff for mom has its rewards too. Plus, you'd be giving her something actually nice compared to those bad macaroni-n-glue construction paper projects we all used to give our moms in kindergarten!

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Use an exacto knife to cut the cut lines first. It will still tear out the wood, but not at the top of the cut.

13. Cheapskate

Thanks guys.:D
    @John - I should do a test fit with the Jetway. There's no room behind the hardrive for cables. I'll just lengthen the lines. -I said the inside would look like cr*p.:hehe:
    -And I got the other cable today. Thanks!:D
    @EEL - Macaroni?!?! D*mn! That would have been brilliant! Too late now...
    @Barry - Great idea, but I'm splintered inside the groove. The top is fine. Grinding up wood shims next time should work.

14. jhanlon303

Glad you got the wiring harness. I'm assembling the blocks to my Jetway (Wetway) tonight in between nodding in the chair. I might PM you but the tutorial is excellent. I plan to run all 4 barbs in parallel straight across the board. Only reason is I'm using a res/pump combo.

Make Mom proud.

John

15. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Oh, I think I see what you're saying now. What if you cut the finger groove then the slot? (An actual wood router bit might help too;))

16. Cheapskate

Wetway:lol:
    Yeah, I've dulled the poor countersink down too. -Another good idea, but point on the bit can't cut through anything, and I'm way over budget. The current trend of charging $30+ for a single router bit nixes any upgrades to my kit right now.

17. acey

acey What's a Dremel?

EH? I thought its gonna be full plexi no? Btw nice toy you got. On the 6th pic, is that a design or just some random sawdust pattern? It looks good actually.

18. Cheapskate

Thanks acey. It's going to be wood with a black plexi strip running down the middle.
    The pattern is the angle gauge filled with sawdust. There's a guide you can mount there so you can cut the ends off boards.

19. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -I resumed the casting experiment with some S&M play...:eyebrow: I figured the best way to get bubbles out of the cast was to put the knob in the bottom of the grout. This way I let gravity work for me. I had to seal up a lot of stuff I didn't want to chip grout out of.
    [​IMG]
    -I put the knob shaft:)naughty::duh:) through the bottom of the mold, and sealed it with wax. I smeared vaseline on the knob in the hopes that it would come free easier, (Gawd, can I make this stuff sound any kinkier?:duh:) And filled the mold with grout.
    [​IMG]
    -I've cut the plexi, and I'm working on fitting it. I did something stupid and marked out the future cuts on a spot I planned to shave down.
    [​IMG]
    -The milling came out rough. I fear it really is time to overhaul my drill press. I had it in my head that the plexi would be mounted with little screws. That can't happen. The available wood is too thin, and the grooves I plan to cut in the opposite side will get in the way. I need to test contact cement on plexiglas.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut out the holes in the I/O area a little high. It's still pretty good for a wild guess. I need to mill this area down paper thin so the plugs will fit. -Yeah, it sounds crazy to me too.:sigh:
    [​IMG]
    -I'm cutting out a bit on the inside so the plugs can seat.
    [​IMG]
    -On the outside I started the first exaust hole. This one should help get air over the motherboard.

Wish me luck. It's starting to look like junk to me. One month to build, one month to clean up?

20. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

A piece of veneer would be a ~paper thin wooden i/o plate.
    Earlier on you mentioned that wood was tearing out when routing, i'm guessing going at it at half depth first then all the way would be enough, if not maybe routing in three stages would stop tearing.