1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Medal of Honor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2010.

1. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

Huh? Reading a review of Medal of Honor has further put you off buying Call of Duty Black Ops, how did you come to that conclusion?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

realised that the moment i played multiplayer Beta: it's a dumbed down BFBC2.

really really disappointed in this reboot :(

3. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Possibly, just maybe, some people might like this game? You can't expect the greatest game ever to be released every video game release.

For example minus ME2 and DA, Metro 2033 was by far one of the best games I've played this year, but if i looked at it from a reviewers prospective i wouldn't have given it more than 6.

4. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

There's no mention of props being brought from Battlefield Bad Company 2 (like the bradley apc's, no redesign whatsoever) and the fact that BFBC2's multiplayer is by far superior to MoH's and it's @ 30$ on Steam, compared to the 60$ MoH

5. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Yep and yet it still gets a 6. Im going to have to assume that the scale actually only goes from 6 to 10 because nothing ever gets less than 6. I suppose publishers would stop sending games if reviewers marked them down too much though /cynicism

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

Certain sites *cough* GMG *cough* seem to be giving off the impression that the negative reviews are not at all deserved, being one of the many that wasted my time downloading the beta client I can safely say that they are very much deserved, miserable awful trash. It's a shame really because I was quite looking forward to it some time ago, although having EA/DICE 'liked' on FB was a bad idea, the absolute CRAP they were trying to spin off about this title was worse than I had ever seen.

Joe has more or less said everything I wanted to say about it but in a more literate and family friendly way.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Bollocks to that. I gave a 4/10 just the other week. I've given 2/10s before. Problem is, because nobody cares about obviously rubbish games and because everyone can spot them a mile off, there's no reason for us to look at them. Would you really like us to review the utter dregs of the industry on a regular basis, bearing in mind you'd probably never buy it anyway? Wouldn't you rather we honestly assessed the games our readers might actually care about?

I gave Medal of Honor a 5/10 - ranked as 'has significant drawbacks', 'just meets expectations' and 'approach with caution' in the score guide - for the singleplayer, then threw another point on the pile for the multiplayer, because it's better than the SP.

I make a big effort to use the whole 1-10 scale and mark as fairly as possible. We're not bound up in PR crap and aren't pressured to give any game a particular score. If we were, we'd tell everyone about it.

Some of the 6 or lower reviews we've given this year, off the top of my head:
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior
    Crackdown 2
    Blade Kitten
    Silent Hunter 5
    Alien Breed: Impact
    Alpha Protocol
    Global Agenda
    Winter Voices: Avalance
    Lost Planet 2
    Necrovision: The Lost Company
    Ship Simulator Extremes
    Star Wolves 3: Civil War

TL,DR? Go play a real 3/10 or 2/10 game, then play Medal of Honor and tell me it's as bad as they are. It's bad, but it's not that bad.

/rant

Last edited: 12 Oct 2010
  8. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

I've been pretty tired of modern combat type FPS for quite a while now. It's what we've been seeing since BF2 released in 2005. Is that all devs can create anymore? It's past time for new FPS subject matter devs.

I also agree with javamans comment...

"I really hate FPS games atm. I full believe a game should stand up on merit of single player alone yet every FPS game of recent is an "online mulitplayer experience" with single player bolted on."

.... and adding not only is single player bolted on but PC FPS multiplayer is broken due to no "personal" dedicated servers and removal of LAN play.

9. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

This release does not bode well for Battlefield 3 either. I guess it will also run on the same "shitty/buggy/console" Frostbite engine.

Can anyone confirm if joysticks work on MOH?

They dont on BFBC2.

10. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

That's really interesting - I really liked the beta of MoH. Whilst it's not perfect, it seems to me like a much more balanced version of CoD - it's quite fun really in my opinion - each to his own, I guess - but deriding it as being more of the same seems somewhat silly when it actually does it pretty well (in my opinion anyway).

Just because a game is simple doesn't mean it's bad. Also, AAA games have always been samey - you need to look to indie games for variety (not kidding, just look at the top iPhone games. Doodlejump, Tap Tap, Cut the Rope, Plants vs Zombies - these are all original games that have b een well received).

11. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

If you don't buy MOH then buy minecraft instead! Sooooooooo addictive!!!

12. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I pre-ordered this. I reckon I'll still get some play out it as I rarely play the single player portion of games. I wish I'd pre-ordered from a shop though now, at least then I would have a got a coaster to show for me money if it really is that bad.

I'm a positive person though, I'm thinking a good server with admins could easily help with campers, or the devs could just stick a few strategically placed piles of crates in. The beta seemed alright to me, not great, but worth a punt

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

incorrect, we've been stuck since 2003

14. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

On the plus side, you will get access to Battlefield 3 beta, other than that its a linear single player and a reskin of BFBC2 multiplayer.

15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh god that thats another thing that can **** off! BUY OUR GAME TO GET BETA ACCESS!

gahhhh stop falling for this **** and it will go away!

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Completely agree. It's not a "plus" to buy a game. Like leading sheep to slaughter, it really is.

"Well, I don't think we're going to hit our review marks on this guys. How do we bump sales?"

"Erm, BF3 beta access?"

"Brilliant! Do it, and have a bonus for the suggestion!"

17. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

From a totally multiplayer standpoint I bought this today I played the open beta and loved it which was odd as before I had total faith it would be bloody atrocious. I bought and put about 60 hours or so into BC2 and after realising i spent 99% of my time as a sniper i tried assault... that lasted mere minutes I found it almost impossible to play and hit people it just felt floaty and awful. So I was expecting MoH to be similar but it's accurate fun and engaging.

Obviously it was going to be similar to BC2 but something in the beta just clicked with me well enough to seperate me from my cash anyway it may not be the be all and end all of shooters but no one could have honestly thought it would be and I'll settle for a multiplayer experience which is this frantic and yet fun to play. Maybe it will turn out to be utter crap and within a few days will be sniping little dirty campers all over the shop but I'm confident I will get my £30s worth out of the multiplayer and then get Black ops in a month and the same there.

As for access to the BF3 beta the level of my caring about this is about the same as my ability to care about pop idols and such no yeah nothing at all I hate that it's become a selling point of games these days hell even access to demos is turning that way (looks at Gearbox and Blizzard) but it was in no way something that I bought the game for.

18. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

I have to say, I enjoyed this review.

19. south side sammy

south side sammy What's a Dremel?

WOW, great reviews. Can't wait til my pre order gets here. I did like the MP side for a little while ( beta ) but became tired of the same 2 maps in short order. When the beta ended I did miss not being able to spend a free hour playing though.
    I didn't like not being able to pick a team and I didn't like the forced switch at the beginning of every map. I don't like the perk system but I don't like perks period. You should be enabled regardless of time played. hate getting slaughtered by somebody's forgotten 8 year old who does nothing but sit in front of his computer because his parents find it easier on them.
    Hopefully the SP campaign won't be as bad or as short as described. BBC2 was short and very disappointing to say the least. Don't think I could take 2 disappointments in a row.
    The best games in the past 3-4 or so years ( FPS..IMO ) were yes Crysis, FarCry2, the F.E.A.R. games and a couple I can't remember at the moment. The ones with all the hype were the worst.... the COD games ( stressing the online part ), and the battlefield games.... sure I could name a couple more if I sat here long enough..... but I'm nor 8 years old........................

20. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

You are not allowed to swear at the trolls Joe. You work here so that makes you "dad" and you have to set a good example.

Tags: Add Tags