1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Microsoft Is Screwing Me

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Infection, 12 Apr 2009.

1. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

This is my situation, (Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

I originally purchased a Microsoft Habu, I heard some great things, DPI settings had a decent range (800 - 2000) and 1MS response time, shortly after buying it I realized why the mouse had been slashed from its original $79.99 price point.

Through the months I had been using the Microsoft Habu the mouse had failed 13 different times, and had been replaced 13 different times while under there 3 year warranty, the problem was basically that the cording coming out of the front of the mouse kept coming either A) Looose and causing a Short or B) The mouse Cable inside of the unit had become semi-detached, causing the mouse to basically disconnect / reconnect randomly or not work at all, this was somewhat annoying but each time this happened Microsoft Immediately sent me a brand new Microsoft Habu (Ranging from 2007 to 2008 factory dates) and every time the mouse experienced the same problem.

So after the 13th time the mouse had Failed I started an email request, this time I asked if I could be given either A) my money back or B) another product, I was offered B and was given a Microsoft Sidewinder which at the time was roughly $10.00 more then the Habu, I was happy and continued using the Sidewinder for a few months. After those few months (February 2009 - April 2009) the SideWinder started presenting some problems, it frequently disconnected, sometimes the mouse cursor wouldn't move properly to one side (wouldn't move left, etc) so I decided to once again open a support request as this mouse was still on warranty (Originally Manufactured in September 2008, with a 1 year warranty) so I was still under there warranty and free replacement for defective products.

I quickly tried to replace the mouse while using my Basic Microsoft Mouse (pushing 8 years old now) but as I was filling out my ticket and trying to press Submit I was told that the "Microsoft Servers Where Acting Incorrectly and to Try Again in 5 Minutes" which I did, for nearly 2 days, each time ending with the same problem server working incorrectly, try again in 5 minutes.

So today is now Day 3 and this is what has happened, I recently (2 hours ago, 1 hour ago, 30 minutes ago) tried to fill out numerous support tickets, but instead of being told the Microsoft Servers where to busy I was now told that my "Product Identification Number was either Invalid or Entered Incorrectly". I quickly re-checked my numbers, typed it out with - without - with spaces and without spaces only to be given the same invalid PID / entered incorrectly message.

Which brings me to this question why is my Product Identification Number not working correctly, when I am in fact typing it correctly, what I have come to realize is that Microsoft has intentionally screwed me by DISABLING MY PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER, This item is still under warranty and should be treated as such.

additionally I re-purchased another sidewinder, same manufacturer date, model, etc and copied the Product Identification Number, logged onto the support site, tried to submit a ticket and it worked, so now I imagine Microsoft is indeed screwing with me.

This post is essentially trying to warn people, any perhaps if the boys at Microsoft see this (Unlikely) they will realize that I am one customer that will not sit down and take this sort of treatment.

I have emailed a Microsoft Employee who handled the process of one of my recent replacements in hopes he can explain what is going on, I will also most likely be posting this on every website (mostly Microsoft Communities) I feel is important to warn future customers.

So now I'm stuck with a mouse that doesn't work, not under warranty and an exact copy of the mouse I will be returning shortly, perhaps I'll get my hands on a Razer Mamba or Deathadder in the meantime.

To Microsoft: I Want my money back for either this SideWinder or the Original Microsoft Habu purchase so I may buy a different mouse that is not made, manufactured, partnered with Microsoft.

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

That sucks dude, sorry to hear you're having such troubles with Microsoft's products.

I've only owned a Microsoft keyboard, I mostly buy Logitech peripherals.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

They can't code an OS worth a damn, what made you buy their hardware?:naughty:

Random quote: It's a good thing Microsoft isn't in the condom business!

:hehe:

I'm really sorry for your (multiple) bad pieces but isn't there a point where you just write it off as a bad purchase and get a good night's rest?

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

13 times?! That is getting silly. Here in the UK we have the TSA (Trading Standard Authority/Agency or something A) which can deal with companies taking the piss like this.
    There's probably some sort of similar agency in Canada, not to mention laws!

It may be that with your Habu failing, they gave you an old model/test model of a Sidewinder or similar, so the product identification wouldn't register, which also reasons why they gave you supposedly a product worth $10 more.

Posting about it on Microsoft forums is a good idea though, they should take notice then :)

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Microsoft is generally make good peripherals, specially the latest one, doing direct competition with Logitech. This is a strange problem. Well check if you have an anti-lemon law set. In Quebec is if the problem does not go away after 3 times, you can request the company to return the money you paid (with proof of purchase faxed to them). See if you have something like this.

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I've been using Microsoft peripherals (mouse+keyboard) for almost 15 years now, never failed on me once. Anyone remember the first Microsoft Natural Keyboard from 1994? Still working, although the lettering is gone on the keys as they have been put in the washing machine once a year. :)

Not that it is helping you, but it is driving me almost as nuts when people say the peripherals are bad just because they are from Microsoft as when people say the OSs are bad because they are from Microsoft. It's just bad luck mate. :)

Don't want to nitpick here, but how are you treating your stuff? Some of my friends have to buy a new keyboard once a month, but they don't make the company responsible for that, but buy the cheapest possible...

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Microsoft are said to have great mice (intelimouse lineup) but I've been a loyal logitech / razer fanboy for far too long to switch... g15 and deathadder goodness...

Sorry to hear about your mouse, I suggest giving them a ring and argueing, if you argue for long enough they'll actually do something and give a damn... I had an issue when I purchased a 64 bit dvd for vista, and my retail cd key wouldn't work with it, so after argueing for about 30 minutes with someone who could not speak proper english, I was able to get a new cd key, and they "dissabled" my old one, though I haven't tried it, I technically got a new cd key for free since my original wouldn't work...

8. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

The Microsoft Habu has a great ergonomic design and was powered by Razer, from what I understood I was buying what I thought was a good product. I tread all my products with care, the fact that the issue happened with not only my Microsoft Habu (13 times) and other peoples Habu's numerous times generally leads to the conclusion that there is something being manufactured incorrectly. You can actually fix a Habu by opening the mouse (voiding it's warranty) and installing a new USB2.0 core from another mouse.

The problem with returning it is that in order to open a support ticket you need a Valid Identification Number, which is what I was trying to do at the time they disabled mine.

Last night I went out and purchased the Deathadder, so I'll be using that now, I expect better things from this product then my previous mouse.

PS: after forwarding this issue to Microsoft Technical Support Managers (that little email at the bottom of the support tickets) my product identification number magically started working again.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2009
  9. mansueto

Razer is love hate, I have never had an problems with my 2 razer products, had a copperhead which fell to its death after 2 years of abuse, and now a deathadder which I love, other people say theirs died after a few months of "gaming abuse" which could include smashing the mouse, but that's just stupidity on their behalf... Best of luck, but def. suggest ringing the support line to get to the bottom of it...

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I've got a M$ mouse and a M$ keyboard and a M$ gamepad (x360pad) and never had any problems with any. Weird...

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That's nice, but the topic was about a Microsoft mouse, not M$ products.
    It is important to read a post carefully before replying.

12. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

^^ :lol: :D

Why not return it to the shop you bought it from, rather than microsoft?

13. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm still using an original V1 (home) and a V3 (work) Intellimouse explorer never had a days problem with either.

14. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

MS have a telephone number for support. call it! they won't read this forum!

(also, people who call Microsoft M$ are bloody retarded)

15. mansueto

Just picked up a microsoft ergonomic home keyboard and mouse for my parents to replace their pile of crap benQ wireless set they have... kept eating batteries, disconnecting though right beside the receiver, and they weren't the comfiest, and they keyboard often stuck on certain keys or stopped responding... For 26 bucks, the keyboard is quiet, and comfortable, though it has a curve so will take adjustments, but the mouse is much comfier, and i think it was a solid purchase... Microsoft can make decent mice, their intellimouse series is supposed to be great, but personally stay away from microsofts "gaming" equipment and stick to other brands...

16. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I've never had a problem with my MS keyboard and mouse set

sorry to hear you got a lemon