1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft's Surface hits trouble

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Nov 2012.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

2. impar

impar Minimodder

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, yeah, yeah. When the RT did not sell well, its lousy distribution and availability weren't considered a factor. Now the Pro sells out, it suddenly is. Much bias going on? :rolleyes:

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Lousy distribution and availability werent considered a factor?!
    That was posted more than two months ago. Bias?
    But it is improving, the Surface RT will finally start its sales over here tomorrow, February 14th 2013. :rolleyes:

5. Nexxo

They weren't by many tech reviewers; they just concluded that the RT must be a bad (or at least undesirable) device. But now the Surface Pro sold out, it's the first explanation they resort to.

Anyway, I installed today's firmware update and it dos what it says on the tin. Sound is now much louder without having to invoke sound enhancements; app switching is snappier and Office now loads within three seconds rather than the six or more it used to take.

Cannot comment on the rest as I never experienced problems with WiFi or updates.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

To be honest I'm more interested the fact the RT didn't sell out as I still maintain that "Sold Out" is an obligatory orchestration when releasing a popular tech product.

7. Nexxo

Bad marketing, and really good competition from the iPad. When you aim at muggles, you have to reassure them a lot to take the leap into a new ecosystem. Fact is, almost everybody who bought a Surface RT loves it. The few who returned it are the same people who returned their Android tablets because they thought they had bought an iPad.

Either way, I can hardly fault it, and (or maybe because) I'm a power-user. I considered carefully my needs vs. what the device could do and found the best match of all devices out there right now.

Browser now is snappier too. Jailbreak still works. Good update.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Its only been launched in 1 country which is USA so its very difficult to suggest how well or not well its doing.( surface pro that is)

Personally waiting on a haswell surface pro as are many.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

13. Nexxo

Well, that's twice as many as the doomsayers asserted. :)

The apps are slowly getting better. Meanwhile the latest Windows RT firmware update allows Flash on all websites. It works very well (without battery drain).

Jailbreak still works fine.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

For a product with limited availability and relatively high price (compared to big selling hits like Nexus 7), that is a pretty good number.

*Note: iPad is not relevant in this comparison, it is a single product versus many various tablet and other form factor units from various manufacturers, to be fair you would have to compare all Windows 8 tablet/hybrid/convertible/touch laptops versus iPad.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

So 22mil vs about 3-5mil as that's about the total unit sales for the products you listed faug.

Most major laptop manufactures have not released windows 8 touch products.

People are saying only as they were expected to hit 5mil by now, instead of a 5% share its 1% share and 5mil is now total for the year instead of for the quarter some pretty big markdowns.

Surface pro has done well I'd of brought one but I can't well done Microsoft.

16. Nexxo

I'm definitely seeing some touch screen laptops emerging. Keep in mind that it easily takes about six months to develop a new laptop, a year if it concerns a totally new product.

I am also seeing some interesting all-in-one touch screen PCs emerging, the most interesting of which is the Asus ET2300 and the Lenovo IdeaCentre A720. Still a bit rough around the edges, which tells me that they were brought out in a rush, but I expect the next generation to be a lot better.

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Thats what I would of thought. Its all relative. The article doesn't compare sales of equivalent competing units though and I couldn't be arsed trying to find out or otherwise verify the above just to see if the author used the term "only" correctly.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Isnt mentioned? Same article, just have to open the link and read before commenting on it:
    Bias, indeed.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Nvm...

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!