1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Mini Watercooled HTPC - Mosquito - Updated 7th, Nov 2014 - Final Pictures in the Sun

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mosquito, 6 Aug 2014.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Right, so now with the mesh all glued in place, I guess it’s time to move on to some of the “fun” stuff… At this point, I’m still without acrylic for the window, so while I wait for that, I might as well get the install stuff out of the way.

[​IMG]

Since I’m going to have all the wires hidden under the cover plate, I picked up a Silverstone short/flat cable set.

[​IMG]

I removed the connector from Silverstone…

[​IMG]

I cut off all the pins…

[​IMG]

I think you can see where this is going.

[​IMG]

I made a flat cable extension out of the 24-pin cable from the Silverstone kit. I also did the same with the 4-ping CPU power cable too.

[​IMG]

First things first, I got the front USB/Audio port assembly installed in the base.

[​IMG]

I started laying the wires out, and taping them down with some electrical tape, to help hold them in place so I could install the cover plate.

[​IMG]

The Res-Pump combo is attached to the cover plate before it gets installed. Here you can see everything with the cover plate hiding the wires.

[​IMG]

This was before installing the power supply and SSD. I had also made and installed an LED strop at the top. It’s powered by the fan header, so I can control it through BIOS/SpeedFan. I have limited space for power supply wires, so I was trying to minimize the cables that I needed.

[​IMG]

I got the fans and radiator installed, along with the water loop. It was at this point that I realized I hadn’t taken the motherboard out since doing some test fitting. Which means I just installed everything and forgot the I/O plate. Dang it. Oh well, it turned out the SSD wasn’t going to fit where I had intended it to, so I guess it just forces me to not be lazy.

[​IMG]

I threw the cover on so I could test the LED strip out. Another reason to redo things. The single strip at the top just isn’t enough. The GPU blocks most of the light from getting to any of the components, so I’ll have to redo things a bit there as well…

Ah well, if it was perfect the first time every time, things would be boring, right? Or something like that!

So now… I guess I’ll be redoing some stuff, and doing another install of everything later. Hopefully find a new place to stash the SSD…

Until then, thanks for checking it out (even if it ended up being a massive teaser lol)

2. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

pretty!

And if you ever tire of it (or fancy trying something else), it looks like you could create a new cover and slip it into place to suit your mood.

3. Mosquito

Thanks! I could if I wanted to, though the back side is all veneered already, so I'd probably have to use the same veneer, but could make a new cover for it if I wanted to

4. Mosquito

Alright, so I’ve got some acrylic in for the window, and cut it to size (using the scroll saw). Let’s have a redo of the install, and see if we can get everything to fit this time lol

[​IMG]

First thing was to find a new home for the SSD. Turned out that the blocks I had glued in the bottom to hold the bottom of the base in place only required very minor chisel work to be wide enough for the SSD. This helps in that I can then tuck it and its wires away in the base instead.

[​IMG]

Then, after installing the I/O shield this time, I re-ran all the wires, and did a little neater job of it this time. More diligently taping down the wires before installing the cover plate.

[​IMG]

I reinstalled the cover plate, and got the power supply and cable shroud installed.

[​IMG]

I’m really liking how clean this looks with that cover plate.

[​IMG]

Once again plumbed up the water loop.

[​IMG]

Using more of the Go2Glue (Beginning to quite like that stuff), I installed the smoked acrylic window. I could have used 4010 tape, but wanted the window to sit flush on the inside.

[​IMG]

Speaking of the inside… On the inside of the cover, I also installed some white LED strips. These are still powered off the fan header, as it was before. This time, however, I made an extension to get the power to the front of the case, so I could disconnect it and still remove the cover.

-----

And then because I was excited, here’s a few assembled pictures. I’m hoping for a sunny day to take some outside pictures of this in the sun. It’s difficult to light the grain well, to get the effect of it.

[​IMG]

Just a standard shot, no flash, lights on.

[​IMG]

Lights mostly off, no flash.

[​IMG]

With flash, to help show off the grain in the veneer.

-----

Well, that’s that. Now just have to get some good final pictures of this thing.

Thanks for checking it out!

5. Mosquito

Well, this is it *sniff* I think we’re done here…

I was thinking about taking some pictures in the light booth I usually use for reviews, but after these… not sure it matters lol. I might still, though, to get some interior shots and the like.

Anyway, I took it outside this past weekend while it was nice, to get some pictures in the sun. It really shows off the grain a lot more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have the interior lights on for these two, I swear! Lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I may take and post some more pictures in the light tent when I have it set up for the next review (which will be shortly). Hopefully that will show more of the interior features, and the lighting effect.

Until then, thanks for checking it out! This has been a fun project. I may have one more thing in store for it as well, so don’t think that this worklog is complete just yet ;)

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

There's just to much awesomeness going on here. That is a seriously top build. Just looks amazing inside and on the outside especially.
    I really do like this one.

I was thinking about doing a little media build but after seeing this , don't think I'll bother

P.S... I hate you lol :D:D

7. Mosquito

Thanks Jeff! :thumb: I've watched all your logs in the past, so I'd certainly watch that one if you do, but... having watched your logs, do you actually do small? :D Thinkin' Saturday Night Special in that Thermal take sky scraper :lol:

8. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Ive still got the TT mozart, my son wants to give it a rebuild, would you actually believe I got to the point where I ran out of space in that thing.

So can you imagine the problems I'll have with a small case.lol

That said I do have a couple of small(ish) cases laying about that would be ideal.

But first I'll be taking a few ideas from some of your build so I might have half a chance of making alll the kit fir inside, or under as on on one build lol

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice. :clap:

I'm a dude of few words these days but this is NICE. :D

10. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Wow, such a sweet build!! Great job sir!