1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Mod a case with no parts? Skinning a Dragon

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jhanlon303, 22 Dec 2008.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Got both - let me run downstairs -:D:D:D

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That's no good! You can't store those together. :(
    A small child will gladly climb into the case for a laugh, but a big snake won't do anything YOU want it to do. Worse yet; if you get them mad enough, they will try to eat you.

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Definitely a pickup line to avoid: "...... small child, really big snake......"

:D

4. jhanlon303

I emptied the case last night to make some measurements. When I came back to it today:

[​IMG]

I think the 'lady' Trolls are trying to start a business in my case.:jawdrop:

I don't think I'm zoned for that.

john

5. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Ok, I'm ready for a snake terrarium case... Plus the heat will keep em nice and warm!

6. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

That's always bothered me too. It's never really caused a problem.. but still bothered me. That and when CPU heatsinks started getting heavy I started worrying that my motherboard would crack or bend.

7. jhanlon303

Some of the large Lian-Li towers have still have the braces for the I/O cards. A well thought out vertical bracket with adjustable braces for card holding.

I have spent the two days wandering this forum and several others in between copious quantities of food and I believe the Rocketfish/Lian-Li A71 have has been done enough. There are some fine examples both here on this forum and elsewhere to lead me choose another case. I wish to find something that hasn't been shown on BT. I choose not to diminish these fine mods or the Lian-Li case by my poor skills. The case goes back to the tackroom!

How about a CoolerMaster ATCS 620C HTPC case with mATX again?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Youse guys are really tough around here - you seem to have modded everything except a Hoover Vacuum sweeper.

Mini-ITX in a Roomba?

john

/edit - I have edited this about 6 times trying to work on the phraseology in my 2nd paragraph

Last edited: 26 Dec 2008
  8. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Maybe a watercooled PC in a Rainbow Vacuum?

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

DFI do a sweet mATX motherboard, that supports crossfire, clocks well and has the amazing P45 chipset. Ideal for this really! Black PCB!!!

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Don't. I have 2 of those. I can guarantee it would be ugly. As a vac they are awesome. As a case they would...suck.:duh:

That troll wearing a teddy is the most disturbing thing I have seen all year.

As for the htpc case - Extend the back into a sled case, and do a full mini atx rig that can run your new card.

11. jhanlon303

The little Troll in the red suit is the only anatomically female Troll in my collection. :jawdrop: 100s of Trolls and only one female. Babys crawling, yuppie/geeks, skateboarding, all kinds. Been snagging them since the 1960s.:clap:

john

12. Inf3ction

Inf3ction What's a Dremel?

Believe it or not I like the idea of building a case mod without knowing the hardware, its sort of makes your mind build the case as a general case instead of designated for certain hardware. If that made any sense. But building a case with no actual hardware intended is what I'm doing with my new project... lol... titled "Unkn0wn"...

13. jhanlon303

OK. I have had enough PMs and threats to my modding abilities. The RocketFish/Lian-Li it will be!

Current list:
    Asus Striker II Extreme Motherboard
    Intel 775 CPU 6600 - on hand
    H2O cooled
    One video card to begin with - MB is SLI ready
    Lite-On Lightscribe DVD+- RW on hand.
    One 250Gb SATA drive for OS and paging space. 14 on hand.
    One 1Tb drive for recipes and family photos - Biggest currently avail.

The parts are all STD. size so no changes to the case will be needed if technology changes while case is being modded.

Needs a theme, a name would be nice( something to relate to the Fishy case).

Next update tonight I will show you what I have found for radiator placement in this case as done by others.:
    120.1, 120.2, 120.3, and 120.4.

Remember this is a FULL tower case. In American the side panels are 24" x 24".
    I have been using it as an end table next to my chair for my Iced coffee. It's that tall.

It will become my daily driver machine, some video de/encoding, and a gateway to my external RAID 5 arrays with my CVS Linux tool chains and my Eclipse project respositories.

As many of you have figured out, I mock up mods with my camera and not sketchup or other software. I have almost as much invested in camera batteries as my H2O-C7 project.

Back in a couple hours with some pics and questions.

john

14. jhanlon303

15. Inf3ction

Inf3ction What's a Dremel?

Hurry up dude, I want to see what you've got planned. lol.

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. I take it my PM worked then, eh? :lol:

17. jhanlon303

Scared me into doing the right thing.

UPDATE TIME:

I am plotting radiator size and placement. We know it's a big enough case to use 120s -

1.) A single 120 rad where the original intake fan lives

[​IMG]

2.) 120.2 in front. I'll lose the 3.5 in bays behind the front but they were already on the dust bin list

[​IMG]

3.) 120.3 mounted on the top. I still would have the top I/O to use.

[​IMG]

4.) I found this idea on another forum. Use the available Lian-Li PSU plate to turn the PSU on it's side and stuff it in the back corner. Divide the case nicely above the original fan (keep it for circulation) and do the bad thing with a 120.4 across the whole side.

[​IMG]

5.) Get stupid and put the 120.4 in the WHOLE top. Lose a 5 1/4 bay, not a problem with 6 but then I also lose a place for my coffee cup on top. Such sacrifices we face.

[​IMG]

I am kind of leaning to Number 4 at the moment.

Who likes what?

john

18. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

In my opinion thats absolutely fine, thats what im doing right now, the case, power supply, and cooling + modding stuff in one lot then the hardware when i have the money later. It works well so you get to focus your budget on one section then the next, not split it.

Also, i like what your planning, im doing somthing very similer in terms of cooling and case and stuff with a lian li pc-v2010 but i dont have the money for the incredible hardware. Also, there is no way that you need a psu higher than 1kw, nearly every build will be fine with the corsair 750w psu, even if using duel 4870X2 as long as you dont have TONNES of other hardware.

EDIT: just saw the post above, wow, i never ever thaught a p120.4 rad was neccecery, ive seen crazy temps with a 120.3 rad with a hugly overclocked cpu + a 4870X2 in the loop. I would reccomend a 120.3 for the graphics cards at the top and a 120.2 at the front for the cpu and NB

EDIT2: dont wother such an expensive motherboard that will soon come out of date, drop it down to somthing cheaper or bump it up to i7, just seems a waste

EDIT3: what case is that?

Last edited: 27 Dec 2008
  19. E.E.L. Ambiense

John, like I had said in my original PM regarding this project, it really depends on what you intend to cool. One triple rad will cool plenty, as well as one quad, but it all comes down to what kind of fans you want on the heat exchanger. Personally, I tend to go traditional and put the rads up top of the case, but down at the bottom sideways would work fine as well. That's the nice thing about full-towers; you have plenty of room. I think if you stick the rad down at the bottom, it would be a bit more work involved, but it's up to you.

20. Thatguy119

Thatguy119 Minimodder

In my new build in a full tower im planning to have a tripple rad down the bottom and use a 4 in3 converter to hold the hard drives in the spare external bays. Makes use of all the room that way, plus a double rad up top if/when i crossfire and/or can be bothered to make the cuts