1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod of the Year 2011 Winners

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 4 Jan 2012.

1. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

2. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

YAY!!!! me very much like please kind sir! :D and GONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Jeff or Kenny can have it then :D, really I don't use fan controllers so would go to waste on me, whoever quote replies to this out of you 2 first I pass over to you, just hope that's ok with the prize giver :D should be I hope :).

The random random prize :D:rock:.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Can get this :hehe: not that I've been a judge though but can imagine :D.

I kinda like the 10 votes thing it makes the comp much more random for the winners, as far as I'm concerned all nominee's deserve the win really else they wouldn't be in MOTY, nothing to be disappointed about IMO & you bet I'm keen to start another project ASAP :D love to build but an occasional win would be very nice :D not bothered about the prizes just the title would be sweet :D, probably the prizes mostly which makes things odd, take them out & you'll have modders who just love to mod but maybe fewer of them :rock:.

I remember Nexo saying a while ago about not getting too precious about modding & I don't anymore, prevents you getting highly irritated about little things but that isn't to say I won't give it all my effort though when creating :D.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

LOl replied do have have to send a pm as well...lol

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I have no idea what happens now Jeff not been contacted yet :D but this is the official thread so they should see this & pass it over to you I hope :D guess no one has ever done this before so lets see if they let you have it, hope they do :D.

I nominate the random prize fan controller over to Jeff please allow this cheers :).

Not that I'm ungrateful, just I don't use fan controllers :D.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  7. jj_sky5000

jj_sky5000 Minimodder

law of average applied this year. Every body that voted would have gave 1 vote to l3p d3sk out of the there 10 choices. He was definalty worthy of a top 10 vote, all teh mods where If we only had 3 votes it would have a been a totally diffenret results. Congrats to all

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Precisely what I thought but negative comments coming in straight away rather than congrats made things a little bit scewy :( comps aren't the be all & end all all of modding, if people are taking note of your progression & commenting & showing interest along the way & even liking your efforts then surely that's some good winning & even more so if it's inspiring others to have a go :D:rock:.

My first instinct even after the negative comments was just be a good sport, do my ramble thing :hehe: & congratulate the winners & all the nominees for making it to MOTY :rock:.

But since things appeared a bit messy it was difficult to tackle right & would take some good thought to make a good post so any who can't make much sense of it hopefully can :D:duh:.

Alex you are a winning modder so try not to be so bothered about it :) same with any who made it to MOTY :rock:.

We can't realistically expect people voting to understand what goes into these projects & for them to understand if it was done to great success neither but also just doesn't equal a right to be in a good spot so many votes will be going off face value, if they like it they like it, same for if they don't this will happen when people who aren't modders vote :) nothing to be bothered about Alex or anyone else, I was starting to tell myself I mustn't be all that good at this & was starting to get quite negative myself but me being me & thinking & reading a lot not boozing but plenty of caffeine & sugar :lol: total nonsense dude to think anyone in modding don’t appreciate your kickass efforts so you'll have the people who are a part of modding community voting for the ones they enjoyed following & which managed to do it well & you'll have tech readers who possibly never used a power tool or any kind of hand tool but like a simple good clean looking/performing rig which I do also like, I like all modding from raw creations pulled out of someone's mind which are my favorite really right through to basic good clean modding & those will sometimes catch more votes from those willing to sign up so they can vote, doesn't signify much to me at least but 150 100% bit-tech votes means a ton to me, imagine if I went to seek support from elsewhere same for any who made it to MOTY could have been different ;) but even still I won't do that, I find it a super lame thing to do :D.

Also like JJ said law of averages :D so true :thumb: voting system still needs work, just internet votes alone are an iffy way to do a comp like this I think & needs some good judging by unbiased judges also or even just judging but that would probably make it a much less popular comp, I did genuinely like the ease of being able to pick 10 instead of 1 which was incredibly difficult to pick if your a fan of all types of modding, & it's good to have a public voting system but yeah a bit more than just that for it to be better :).

However I can't see a good possibility of different styles of the comp ie case mod, scratch build, cnc case mod, cnc scratch build but rather than a different catagory for all 4 but would be good to seperate the 2 without a doubt, for the rest of it just add the approaches adding up points for skill involved also & also manual lathes & manual mills are just as skilled as any other power tool to operate nicely so that can’t be confused with CNC which I sure as heck won’t deny is a skill like I did when I was new to seeing advanced machining :D which needs a lot of training if it’s the modder who operates it, but less so if it isn’t :D there are so many approaches to modding & most aren't simply 1 or the other, most are hybrids of manual & semi auto so sheeeeesh how many different categories would there need to be for a true world class mod comp :hehe: I have read somewhere about Combatus being able to tend to bit-tech modding better from now which does sound very hopeful for bit-tech modding but even so bit-tech modding community is heaving with awesome modders with soooo many amazing skills & ideas so this is why I love it here :D.

Suppose they could do different categories but I really really doubt they could be anywhere near as good prize packages but maybe they could forget about a full or near full system for a prize & just do a single nice component in place if they need prizes, for me it would be more about rising to the pinnacle of modding fare & square, not to be a big head but just would be a nice achievement in modding & recognition for doing well on top of the awesome support we get from interested viewers :) maybe being classed as number 1 wouldn't even mean much to me I have no idea until it happens if ever but I'm quite happy to not be the champ really, I'd be concerned my head would float away somewhere from it inflating too much :D.

9. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

I always thought mod of the year was based on the persons that won mod of the month??? 12 participants going for the mod of the year title!!!!....25 people???.
    Its hard enough coming up with something original these days, and on top of that some people are going up against people with access to CNC machines or a sponsored by pc companys, makes it nearly impossible for the average jo to compete.
    Those that that havnt won a MotM, the highly recommended ones, should be put aside in a different comp, not thrown into MotY.
    The voting should be limited to 1 vote within the MotY contestants, and the highly recommended should be a full access bit-tech community vote.

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Think I agree with this to some degree.

I know I should leave this thread for the winners alone & get drunk so I can't ramble, I seem to have a typing ramble disease.

It surprises me that no one in the know ever puts things straight when there has been a bit of an upset so I'll have a go & this is all going off my observation of it all as well as taking part in modding for a few years now.

Upsets can happen in everything so it's definitely healthier to be prepared for them but still give it your best :).

Nominees get there through doing a good project & 1 or more of the following, custom pc mag article, motm winner with completed project, front page article, or simply having a really nice rig which is hard to ignore so gets put in, some fantastic projects get missed while some appear in MOTY which were a bit unexpected but awesome projects all the same.

Also average average joes sometimes feel a bit stung when their case mods are up against scratch builds, I've seen this quite a bit but scratch builders are very often average jo who enjoy the learning process & me I'm a severely below average jo but with good hands & mind & am awesome at budgeting with minimal money to save up for what I want.

MOTY is for good to amazing completed projects, MOTM is for the one you find most promising while it's a work in progress or is to my knowledge projects get put in there too soon sometimes & sometimes when they virtually complete which can make it harder to know if a project is good or not & those who place poorly should not doubt themselves at all & keep on steaming forward :).

Many say they don't have the time to do projects but that's a bit of a cop out some of the time unless you work a horrible amount of hours every single day never getting time off work, but I'd think if that was the case you wouldn't be interested in much yet alone modding, I'm pretty sure most if they looked at their schedule could find at least a few hours a week to put into it if they wanted, there are many modders who have a family & full time jobs & still manage everything else it takes to keep above water & happy but some are just a bit lazy in there thinking & actions & would rather get a lardy bum watching TV or playing excessive amount of games or spend more time simply enjoying life, nothing at all wrong with that though life is short so make sure you enjoy it :rock:, I was like a homer simpson a while ago also & will probably revert to being that again at some point :D.

CNC vs manual I got over it a while ago I'm glad to say :D, fist fight with a terminator anyone, no thanks :D trying to out think the best CPU I'll pass on that also but some in the world still can on a chess game & must have insanely high IQ's :D I like it all but know I can't or won't bother trying to do some of what CNC can do but this is why they were invented to do what man can't or at least can't in such a quick time with perfect accuracy, it's a time saver for mass production & prototypes or kickass mods :D, believe I can match it on some things at a much slower pace & even do some things which it can't, but for many things it's really peeing in the wind :D once you realise all this it's all fair game really, now, 3d printing wowzers I can easily say I can’t match that in any way :D but I still like it all.

Sponsorships & prizes I've always looked at as a really really nice perk of being a good modder, some strike gold on their first project & gains them a lot of on-going support, some take a while longer & some just never bother asking for help, I've still not asked any brands or shops for support, I'm more used to the facts of life where everything you get you work hard for it so even though I see many others not having a problem with asking them I still feel it would be cheeky to ask not to mention feel weird accepting valuable goods just to feature them in a project while most others struggle with a budget featuring it anyway :lol::duh:.

I have been sponsored though with the case feet & it saved me a ton of struggling when I was trying to make them myself without a lathe but Bill is an awesome modder who takes part in modding a lot so was much easier communicating with him since he's been through it all with going from unknown to world renowned & still being a keen & active modder :).

So the truth is CNC & sponsorships do shave a lot of stress of a project off & allows you to get more extravagant with your creations with the saved money but it is what it is, you just accept it or not, if you do then you carry on doing your thing, if you don't you quit & do something else with your time, energy & thought :) I personally accept it either because I'm a stupid head or just love doing it :hehe: so think it's both really :).

The thing which is very wrong to judge on though when voting is how awesome the tech components are, that has nothing at all to do with being a good modder & is just system building.

11. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I'm with sethnmalice here - MOTY contenders should be the MOTM winners.
    I also always found it quite strange that Champions League in various sports (football (that's soccer for your guys on the other side of the pond), handball and probably more sports) was not only for the actual champions, but also for some runners-ups - in some countries even third position and fourth postions would be able to qualify for Champions League. It makes no sense to me.

Same with modding - MOTM should be the big shootout between the 12 MOTM winners. And make 2 categories - 1 for case mods and 1 for scratch builds.

12. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

There's a small flaw in your plan lads...12 MOTM winners, some builds are going to be very slow (nutman...lol) and some will start off flying and never be completed through one reason or another. So where does that leave the MOTY, it could leave it stranded with 6 or 7 finished builds. Also some builds go together so quick that even if they were to make the MOTM, by the time it comes out they're finished, so the selection process then really comes down to what Bit-Tech considers to be either the best of the best or what they think is worthy based on merit, popularity and what went into the build. This is why the MOTY is the way it is, which to me makes perfectly good sense and as far as I'm concerned, the way it should be.

13. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Which is why MOTM should be changed to include mods that were actually finished the month before - would also keep people going at it and not abandoning their project sometime after getting a MOTM award. I never understood how a work in progress could become MOTM. It's the finished work I want to see - how it all fits together. We all got nice ideas and can all be off to a flying start, but I'd really like to see Bit-tech reward modders that actually finish what they started. Just my 5 cents... ;)

Tags: Add Tags