1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod Of The Year 2013 - The Winners

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Jan 2014.

1. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Guess I originally posted it in the wrong one to where I meant to...

Are the results from facebook voting going to be revealed? I'm curious now, since GwassGween didn't make it to the final judging, but had 2nd most votes here...

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

You know what they were all awesome cases. Well done guys

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Let's see... 3x Cosmos II in the top 5 and two other full-blown watercooled oversized rigs...

Just what you'd expect I guess, especiially when you use fakebook to draw attention. I wonder how many people advertised for this contest and made the people vote there.

Hopefully there'll be some changes to the MOTM and MOTY contests in 2014.

Last but not least, congratulations to the winners.

4. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Probably not - although if any nominees want to approach me to find out where they came I'd be happy to tell them. To a large extent there wasn't a massive difference between Facebook and forum vote percentages with the exception of a few projects. I think the 50/50 split worked well, though, as it gives the community here a much bigger say than it's had for a while.

5. Combatus

This isn't just directed at you jrs77 but I don't think it's what you'd expect at all based on how and where we allowed people to vote alone. It's been an exciting year for water cooling with all kinds of new innovations so I'd have predicted a similar result based on that fact too and you only have to look at Ronnie's project log to see just how many people loved his project. I'm not saying any one the other projects didn't get equal praise but at least one person thought he'd win MOTY back then too.... Besides, we've had several air-cooled projects win in recent years, and that was with 100% public voting and no direct forum input.

Even the forum votes have big water-cooled systems as the top three but I was also a bit disappointed with the number of voters, as others have been - just 208 in the forum - we've had more than that in MOTM before now and it's not like we didn't advertise it. It's also important to realise that everyone has different tastes. Not everyone that voted was a modder, some may not have even heard of modding before, but everyone should be allowed to vote all the same. We can of course look at changing things but unless we know how people want it changed other than 'I think X should have won, this needs changing' we can't do a lot can we ;-)

I think we can all learn a lot from people that have won, but perhaps one guy in particular. Attila. He won twice, and came second last year. Were they all sponsored? No. Did he spend vast amounts of money making his projects? No. Were they all massive water-cooled PCs? No. Did he send parts out to be machine cut? No. Did he nominate himself for any of his MOTY or MOTM entries? No. I think that puts an end to any argument about price, water cooling, sponsorship or machining or whatever - you don't need them to win or even get noticed. Clearly he has some skills but if you don't, learn them. Get a Dremel, some files and a sheet of acrylic and shut yourself in a shed for a day. It won't happen overnight but then Rome wasn't built in a day...

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I allready raised my concerns in the thread for the MOTY-votings and there were alot of people having troubles with this so called "contest" for various reasons, not just me.

My biggest concern is that there's absolutely no rules whatsoever, and nobody enters on their own, but you need to get suggested by others. That doesn't qualify as a contest, but as an award.

And then, most of the builds in the top there are sponsored to begin with and I don't see a reason, why these builds should get awarded with additional prices to the sponsorings.

bit-tech should totally revamp the MOTM/MOTY and get rid of all the prices to start with and only make it an award people can be proud of.
    Instead of giving out prices for MOTM/MOTY bit-tech should have more real contests with design, size or hardware-rules, etc.

Last but not least, I absolutely hate the inclusion of fakebook, as alot of nominees advertise for their builds in alot of forums and try to get people to vote on fakebook for their builds. And as it's easy enough to create a dozen fakebook-accounts, it's not a fair voting-process imho and heavily skewed.
    I'd say that only bit-tech-members should be able to vote, who have been members for atleast a month and have a post-count of atleast 50. MOTM or MOTY are bit-tech community-awards afterall.

Everyone knows, that I personally dislike big watercooled rigs, but that has nothing to do with my above stated concerns about MOTM/MOTY.
    However, the results show, especially the Dark Shining Star Cosmos II-mod, that big watercooled rigs with tons of money thrown at it attract alot of people, the wrong people if you ask me, especially if you include fakebook.
    Dark Shining Star is a fully sponsored mod with only some 4 sheets of laser-cut aluminum and some pipebending. There's not even a real worklog, but only some 2 pages of final results shown. How this mod was even considered as a nominee is nowhere to understand, given that the amount of work gone in to this mod, including assembly is somewhere around as little as 20 hours. And ontop of the fully sponsored hardware the guy was using to build his mod he now get's additional prices for free with these few hours of work. BTW... he only got 10 votes in these forums, which would've put him in 5th place.... from the back that is!

Seeing that only some 200 people voted within these forums should be proof enough, that there's something seriously wrong with MOTM and MOTY these days.
    So get rid of it and start doing more real contests, which would be a better platform for sponsors anyways.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2014
  7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Congratulations to the winners, and a special nod to Nate/Editor22, who cut parts for two of these rigs.;)

8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

And designed the one that made second place :clap:

Happy to be in the top five. As always there is some amazing competition which makes mod of the year what it is.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I agree with a lot of what jrs77 had to say there, not everything but a lot. To put it quite simply I am a long time member and follower of Bit-Tech and CPC and I have totally lost interest in the modding articles and features. I have tried to explain the reasons for this and usually face stiff opposition which tries to justify the choices made in putting these articles together. But I repeat, I have lost interest... and I am not alone. It has been made quite clear in various ways that the modding community and interaction is getting smaller and more insular, that should be seen as an issue and not a reason to perpetuate the current direction.
    The fact that the issue of highly financed and sponsored builds becoming the norm and ever present isn't being seen as a future problem is shocking to me as there is only one result from this, the elite few who can, will and everyone else won't stand a chance. Take that as you will and you are welcome to disagree but readers and potential future modders are being lost, there is no doubt about that.

10. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

(first of all, this post is not personally aimed at you)

You all seem to focus on one thing, without actually having anything to back it up with.

What i read in this thread, and many of the other competition threads is:

"sponsorships and hardcore modding is the reason you are loosing viewers and voters"

Have you even once considered that forums might just be loosing general popularity to social media? That younger generations just do not look at forums as much as other things?

What is easiest? To go trough a project log on bit-tech/overclock/extremesystems or to watch a video on youtube, or browse trough an album on your newsfeed on facebook or browsing reddit? Why should they when they can get the most awesome things in the world served to them on a silver platter in a manner of minutes just by scrolling?

Lets have a look at search tendense for bit-tech:

[​IMG]

Now for casemodding:

[​IMG]

And for fun, here is extremesystems:

[​IMG]

Could it be that casemodding is just falling in popularity? If you look at the same trends for laptops versus desktops you will also see that desktops is loosing the battle against laptops for the average consumer. If you have thought to just look a tiny bit on what else is happening in the world, and how the general perception of what people want to do themselves, and what they want to buy, then you should be able to see a connection.

Is there any forums/communities that have found a good way to counter this with?

Well, give linustechtips a search, and you will see what a successful integration with social media can do:
    http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=linustechtips

Now, I love bit-tech and the people behind, but I hate that people in the community try to put the reason that there is less voters and viewers onto the people who just follows current trends instead of getting stuck in the pasts glorious times.

The fact that people think that removing sponsors and CNC machines will bring back the glory days with thousands of replies to a worklog just shows the blindness and denial that is going on.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I think that you try to stretch too far there p0Pe.

Sure, interests do shift over time, but there's no denial that MOTM and MOTY are heavily flawed. Especially as there's prices tied to it and contestants are advertising for their mods in social media and forums all over the web to draw in votes over fakeboook, while MOTM and MOTY should be community-awards, awarded by the bit-tech community and noone else.

All I wan't is seeing the prices get cut out, so that people don't get freebies ontop of their fully sponsored rigs and voting has to be done by the bit-tech community only.

With that being adressed, get more real contests started, like the NUC-contest, the PI-contest, etc. Contests should've rules and MOTM and MOTY don't have them.
    Turn MOTM/MOTY into what it should be, a community-award, and maybe get some trophies made out of acrylic etc, maybe with some illumination to make it something shiny or whatever...

12. BD Hopkins

BD Hopkins What's a Dremel?

Obviously, bit-tech is attempting to expand its brand on social media by offering extra prizes for voting via facebook, let alone by offering voting on facebook in the first place. You can't fault a business for that, especially if their revenue is declining for whatever the reason.

You can, however, find serious fault in the legitimacy of an award that allows facebook voting. There were always people who got their friends to register on the bit-tech forums just to vote for them in a given contest. But this occurrence increases exponentially via facebook, where only a few clicks are required to do so, as opposed to having to trudge through the lengthy forum registration process.

This integration of voting into social media, while financially desirable and perhaps even necessary for bit-tech, comes at the cost of award integrity. Personally, I do not--indeed, I can not-- consider the award to mean what it once did.

13. Boorach

Boorach Minimodder

Congratulations to all the winners. Cracking builds that you can and should be extremely proud of. Have enjoyed following all your logs this year and look forward to seeing your future projects.

14. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Congratulations to the winners. :clap: I'm surprised by the result and only voted for Keirs build out of the winners, but that's nothing new, I get surprised every year. :hehe: This year I expected cheaps to have a good shot at winning. :dremel:

@ jrs77 In regards to the prizes offered for the winners of MOTY. The prize list has been declining in quantity and value over the years, and this is unfortunate. Here's why......................

I'll give you an example of just how useful these prizes are for a dedicated modder/builder.
    When I won the MOTY 2009 with CX1, the prize list was fairly large and came out to a value exceeding A$3000. More importantly though, among the prizes were high (ish) end processor, a high end motherboard, high end RAM, GFX card, PSU, SSD etc. All these went into my next build. In fact, without these prizes my next project would have taken a lot longer to get together. Also, some of the prizes were sold. Examples: The Corsair case was sold for over three hundred dollars, this money was immediately spent on buying a new, large drill press that has proved to be a very valuable and often used tool. The water cooler and keyboard were also sold and the funds used to buy alu and acrylic. The graphics card was replaced by bit-tech with a GTX 480 and this also was sold for over five hundred dollars. It was replaced by a much cheaper (but good) card and the balance spent on screws and fittings.
    The next year I also won the comp and although the prize list was smaller, It still had all the parts to build a good PC. Most of the parts went into my next project.

The prizes were a very welcome and useful resource for me. Without the prizes it would have been much more difficult to get projects started and some projects may not have even eventuated. As someone who has never had any sponsorship, I'm very fortunate to have been given the prizes and rather than getting rid of them I think bit-tech should try and go back to the old days and increase the number of components in the first prize at least.

Good quality parts to build a complete system should always be a part of the first place prize at the very least. If it is getting too difficult to get these parts together, then bit-tech should consider scrapping 2nd and 3rd places and concentrating on the first place prize. After all, the comp is Mod of the year.;)

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yes, this was the case back than. Nowadays however, with the fakebook-voting and all that it's just not the same anymore.
    Sure, by getting rid of the prices for MOTM/MOTY people like you unfortunately get shafted, but we need to draw a bigger picture here, and there'll allways be some good guys like you who suffer because of the masses.

16. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Thanks for the honest answer, though it seems a bit dubious that the voting is public here but you won't disclose the facebook part of it...

17. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

On the voting side, I'm also against the inclusion of Facebook for the final tally. My reasoning is that too many people on facebook won't be following the relevant logs and whatnot. For me, MotY is about more than just making a brilliant mod, it should also be about community recognition. This is handled in the Bit-Tech forum as people know the contestants, they know the logs and may have been following them for ages, after all, we're the ones who suggest the mods to enter the contest.

On Facebook, people don't have that same community interaction, it's more for the passerby who decided to pop in for a look. I feel like that presence is important, as it helps gather new users and talent, but it shouldn't be involved in the actual competition voting.

I still don't get the whole anti-sponsorship thing though. Sponsorship is open to everybody, if you want it, you have to go and grab it. Users like Attila prove how it's not needed, but he doesn't then parade on a high horse about not using it. If you choose not to try for sponsorship, that's fine, but you can't be angry with those who do, it was your choice and therefore you must live with the consequences. If you haven't achieved a sponsorship but want to, the simple matter is to keep trying until you do, even the best don't always get what they want.

Even if your rig is paid for by somebody else, you've still got to spend all the time and effort making something that's truly exceptional anyway. Money is just a point of attrition, it accelerates the process, it doesn't create it. If you can't afford to have a part milled, either go down a different route, or wait and save up. If you wait, you may miss the chance of having it done for this year, but hell, why not finish it next year? Cheaps showed this excellently, Glassgween was in progress since 2009, that's a bloody long time.

18. Combatus

Interesting point of view, although we do have several stages to the voting this time - a forum vote (worth 50%) a FB poll (also worth 50%) and this gives us a top five that go through to the judges like last year. So even if a project that's for the most part not a top 10 project for example, gets spammed out on Facebook or what have you, there's very little chance it will actually win, or even come in the top three. It's a similar method to what Cooler Master has used as well so we're not the big bad monster here - other people are using it for very good reasons and to good affect.

There are three other methods of voting. The forum poll - which sadly doesn't seem that popular, our integrated poll, which has also been subject to abuse in recent years (if we force you to register with an email address we get lots of complaints, but if we don't it's basically as open to abuse as Facebook) but is currently out of action, or, as I used last year, an external poll. Even this turned out to be not a great option because everyone was just share-linking to the poll page and not even looking at the article and just voting for their friends. In addition, this year actually had the biggest input from the bit-tech community with a 50% direct forum input which I don't think we've had since 2008 or earlier.

There's actually no shortage of people willing to offer up prizes but organising this takes a huge amount of time and since we've been freelance for the last two MOTY's and with big changes at bit-tech occurring in 2011 while I was writing that one, I simply haven't had time (or been paid enough :D) to spend weeks sorting out the prizes (the article already took me the best part of two weeks) and I'm pretty sure Cooler Master for example probably has a dedicated marketing bod to do it.

That's pretty much why they've been declining, as well as Intel UK being nearly impossible to get hold of at the moment, but for the most part, manufacturers are keen to grab exclusive top spots with no one else listed, plus I've found the easiest way to do things is to chop the random prizes and focus on core hardware instead. Personally, if I was building a project this year that I thought might be in with a chance of being nominated, I'd be more excited about my chances of bagging some hardware if there were prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place than if there were just a bunch of things for that ever elusive 1st spot. Maybe that's just me...

Okay well it's an award then! That's exactly what MOTY is and always has been. The whole point is that there are no rules - we're simply getting the community to nominate their favourite projects and for the wider community to vote for them. It's as simple as that. It's a general look at EVERYTHING that has been completed throughout the year, so by design, you can't start excluding people either based on sponsorship etc etc. What we can do is have certain categories next year, but again, short of me going into the forum and selecting them which is clearly wrong, I need more input from the community here.

We've been running MOTM and MOTY for years now so I can't see any reason for anything changing here, especially prizes. Every modding competition on big sites out there has prizes and manufacturers want to get involved too plus it can only help to draw more people into modding. Sure we'll have rules, but projects do sometimes need to be nominated rather than being built to a set of rules. Rules can work with comps like the Raspberry Pi and NUC - which were great, but they can stifle creativity elsewhere.

As for community voting only, well, we have it for MOTM already but again I can't see this happening in MOTY unless more people get involved. I had less than a handful of people nominate their favourite projects for MOTY, so to anyone complaining about the line up this year, we did give you more than one chance to voice your opinions. As for voting, well, barely 200 voters means that we have to look outside the forum generate more interest. But as I've said above, it's nearly impossible for anyone to spam vote Facebook and end up in the top three anyway.

We can however look at doing more rule-focused competitions, but these are pretty much impossible to do on the scale of MOTY as drawing up the rules and selecting projects based on them is something we simply don't have time to do. Cooler Master manages it because they draw people in with a massive prize bundle and have several people working on the competition. Also with MOTM, there simply aren't enough new projects most months to focus on a specific area - some times I struggle to find six projects in similar stages of construction! I think the best thing to do is have a range of competitions and this suits everyone but I'm open to suggestions via PM about different ways to do the voting in MOTY next year such has having different price categories, separate mods and scratch builds that kind of thing... [/QUOTE]

Last edited: 28 Jan 2014
  19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Ho hum storm in a tea cup. :lol:

Congratulations Ronnie, Kier, Sassanou, Corsaronero333, p0Pe, all runner uppers & all modders who completed nice projects through 2013. :clap::rock:

My mind has finally caught up with the world, :eeek::lol: soooo muuuch LAG & midlag to a midlag midlag back to a midlag back to the LAG. :D

That's a whole lotta LAG so forgive my whining while lagging, wow & it still isn't completed. :jawdrop::D

20. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

@Sassanou, shipped your Prize Package out Thursday, after finishing the handles... Congrats and Thanks again to bit-tech for allowing Mnpctech to sponser

and heres the list again, of what was included

Mnpctech Machined Aluminum PC Case Handles, http://mnpctech.com/pc-case-lan-par...ver-tower-handles/billet-grooved-handles.html

Mnpctech Machined Aluminum Overkill "Arc Reactor" 120mm Fan Grill, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-coo...fan-flames-sniper-pc-gaming-honeycomb-grills/

Mnpctech Machined Aluminum PC Case Thumb Screws, http://mnpctech.com/screws-anodized...ed-red-blue-gold-green/pc-thumbscrews-en.html

Mnpctech Machined MINI ITX PC Case Feet, http://mnpctech.com/pc-computer-stereo-desktop-case-feet/mini-itx-pc-case-feet.html

Tags: Add Tags