Modding Modding old case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by northernosprey02, 1 May 2013.

1. northernosprey02

northernosprey02 What's a Dremel?

I have old ALR Optima MT mid-tower ATX case which bulky and heavy. I had mod them, currently unfinished.

Here's the picture and description:
    [​IMG]
    The front panel bezel, originally it has cover which it was broken and still in primer paint. I will to paint them to black, but which is best paint for front panel? Black metalic or matte black?

[​IMG]
    A case cover which it sanded, it was hard to sanding them because it shape. I will to paint with black, metalic or matte?

[​IMG]
    The part of case that looks rusty, the 5.25 tray, 3.5 tray, PSU tray, I/O shield, and mobo tray removed by hardest way by using carving tools and hammer to removing rivets (some part using screws instead rivets). But my carving tools broken when I removing back panel :lol:. The back panel are looks interesting for modding because it was wider, so I will cut them and plating with aluminum with 120mm fan hole so I can mounting big fan and radiator. I will also to flipping the back panel position, but without flipping the mobo.

I will to replacing the 5.25 tray with new one because the old one needs drive rail which it hard to find, also I have to install 120mm fan on front or 140mm fan if possible.

And I will to installing top panel with aluminum for installing fan on top, but mounting radiator is not possible.

Do you think is E-ATX mobo can be mounted on this case? Here's the another picture which it was same case and unmodified, the side view:
    [​IMG]

So what do you think about my unfinished mod?

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I think you might be able to fit E-ATX in there. The bottom optical bay will need to be cut out, though.

3. northernosprey02

After I do mount testing virtually in Photoshop, yes but I don't need remove the 5.25 bay because it position far from mobo tray (5.5 cm from mobo tray to side 5.25 bay). It would hiding some button in Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7. But I am doubt if X79 mobo can be mounted well in here because it will hidding some memory module behind 5.25 bay.

4. northernosprey02

Any suggestion other than E-ATX?