Graphics Monitor Flickering on a ATi 5770

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nicho133, 5 Aug 2011.

1. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

My Monitor will flick for about half a second sometimes, but only with my ATi 5770. I have 2 monitors set to the same res in extended mode.
    I previously had a ATi 4650 and I never had this problem.

When the screen flickers, (usually the first monitor) most of the time I can see a bit of the second monitor display.
    This flickering usually occurs when I load a YouTube video or any other video on the internet, I’ve never noticed it happening when playing a game. It only happens when I'm in Windows as well.

I have the latest version of flash, Video card drivers (Catalyst 11.7) and Windows updates, this problem has always happened since I’ve got the 5770. I've looked for BIOS updates for my card but there is none available.
    The 5770 is set to stock speeds (850MHz GPU Clock and 1200MHz Memory Clock) Once when using the Catalyst Control Centre I was using the sliders to Overclock and Underclock the card, the screen would always flick as I was moving the slider, but that only happened once and I can’t make it do that anymore.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
    Does anyone else get this problem?

Thanks for anyone’s help. :)

EDIT: I have a feeling it's got something to do with the Idle GPU Clock, (if overclocking sometimes the idle clock will be lower then the stock idle at 157MHz instead of 400MHz stock idle. Does anyone know how I could just make the card always run at 850MHz instead of idling at 400MHz?

Last edited: 5 Aug 2011
  2. BaronStoke

BaronStoke What's a Dremel?

I heard about this problem before from some xfx 5770 Users. Some said the problem got fixed with catalyst 10.2, others said they had to send it back.
    But as i remember this Problem was never solved completely.

Did you try the card on single screen?

3. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

I think this has more to do with the memory clock changing for different situations than the GPU clock speed.
    You should be able to run at default clocks all the time by disabling powerplay... but I'm not 100% if that will deal with the clocks changing for flash video. The trade-off is higher power usage, of course.

4. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

I had this exact issue and solved it fully. The problem is indeed caused by the idle clock speeds when you are watching video content-specifically the moment they change from idle to full.

If I recall correctly, it's actually the memory clock as opposed to the GPU clock changing that causes this, and like you say, I occasionally get the 157MHz clock, and this is not enough to power 2 screens simultaneously so the flicker is pretty much constant.

I helped another user to fix this problem with their 5770 and this thread can be found here.

I experienced the same problem with my 5670, and it seems to affect most HD5xxx cards on multiple monitors.

As PhoenixTank said, disabling PowerPlay (the service that clocks the GPU up and down automatically based on usage) may fix this, however I coupled this with an overclock as well. As mentioned, this will obviously consume slightly more power as your GPU will be running at higher clocks all the time. It's not something I've noticed having a negative impact however.

I would suggest downloading and installing MSI Afterburner. Once done, open it's folder in Program Files and open MSIAfterburner.cfg in Notepad or similar. Scroll down to the bottom to the section titled [ATIADLHAL]. Change the values to the following:

Code:
    UnofficialOverclockingEULA	= I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    UnofficialOverclockingMode	= 2
    AccessibilityCheckingPeriod	= 0
    UnofficialOverclockingEULA is basically a mini licence agreement that they're not responsible if you try and overlcock your GPU to 4GHz and it explodes.

UnofficialOverclockingMode = 2 disables PowerPlay

Save and close.

Now, open MSI Afterburner and overclock: even just a 5MHz increase will do and won't impact on heat production or anything. Check "Apply Overclocking At System Startup", Save the profile and then click apply. Using a tool such as GPU-Z or a desktop gadget such as GPU Observer, you can see if the OC has been applied successfully. There is an inbuilt tool on the right hand side of Afterburner to do this for you as well.

This should solve your issue, hope it helps :)

thehippoz likes this.
  5. Nicho133

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

TheManicGibbon, I've done the MSI afterburner overclock and edited that file as you said, I've also tried the MSI afterburner using another persons advice on another forum which was a little different to yours but didn't work. So far your way has been working, but I'll give it a couple of days and post again to let everyone know if this fixed it for good. :)

6. TheManicGibbon

Hopefully that will work. Worked for me for a long time. Not working anymore because my second monitor literally just blew up. Ah well, excuse for a new one :hehe:

7. Nicho133

I haven't had the monitors flicker since my last post so this is now fixed. :D

Thanks for your help :D

8. TheManicGibbon

Brilliant! Glad I could help :)