1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

My rat Kawasaki Eliminator EL250:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Currently off the road as I am stripping, painting and overhaulling the front brake calliper.

Now has a beercan exhaust, as the old one was falling to bits. Sounds like a Harley :D

Also has a small black touring screen on the front, pics soon.

2. RTT

RTT #parp

Ah, fair enough. I'll be commuting mostly which is half of the reason the Supermotos appeal to me. I really like Aprillia's supermotos, and the Dukes, but the Dukes are just way too expensive for a daily hack bike.

Nuff said. I went to the NEC bike show and was shocked at the difference between the Bandit and similar bikes from other manufacturers. It really needs some attention, it just looks and feels a decade older than everything else :duh:

3. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I picked up the bike yesterday and had a fantastic time sipping around the countryside :D. The bike was filthy when I picked it up so I didn't want to take pics of it, Ive given it a quick wash now so I'll take some pictures today and post them.

Moriquendi

4. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or is the direct access a little insane? How do you practise for that?

5. Moriquendi

You have to pay an instructor for training, you're allowed on the road on a 500cc bike with L-plates as long as you're accompanied by a certified instructor, that's why it's so expensive.

Moriquendi

6. RTT

RTT #parp

^ what Moriquendi said. If you do an intensive DAS course, as I understand it, you spend usually the first day on a 125, the next three on a 500, then test the final day :thumb:

7. Moriquendi

Ok, today I rode from Bristol to Gloucester, the across to Ross-on-Wye then down the Wye valley to Chepstow and finally back to Bristol, if you ever get the chance to ride the A466, do it, it's fantastic!.

I took the camera along so here's a pic of my bike.
    [​IMG]

Still needs a propper wash but its much better than it was, I'll do a better job when I'm home and have access to a hose.

Moriquendi

8. RTT

RTT #parp

That looks lovely and very comfy Moriquendi :D

A few pics I took at the London Bike Show at Excel:

Charley Boorman's custom chopper (I'm not actually sure who manufacturered it)
    [​IMG]

Charley's bikes: (Left to right: Long Way Round (1200GS), his Dakar bike (F650) and his Long Way Down bike (1150GS) ). It was actually really awesome to see those bikes in the flesh. if anyone's watched it, you could see the bit in LWR (or was it LWD?) when his frame snapped near the back and how it'd been welded up!
    [​IMG]

This'll be me on a KTM 990 SMR :brrr::brrr::brrr:
    [​IMG]

New BMW F800R which is really, really nice:
    [​IMG]

More here

Last edited: 27 Feb 2009
  9. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

That's a beautiful looking bike Moriquendi, I'm quite jealous, how much did it set you back? (if you don't mind me asking).

Wish I could have made it to that bike show, they're all so pretty...a friend of mine has one of the new Kawasaki z750s, it's an amazing bike, the 1000cc one looks even better though, as it has dual pipes so looks a lot more balanced from behind.

The new Yamaha R1 launches today, my local shop is having a big launch party tonight with a chance to win one, I've got every possible digit crossed :D Although to be honest if I won I'd sell it any way, not a huge fan of supersport bikes, and a brand new R1 is definitely overkill for a first bike, especially when you're restricted :sigh:

10. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Hawg Heaven made Charley Boormans one I think.

11. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

omg i want that ktm 990 smr

12. Moriquendi

Sorry it's taken me a few days to reply, took the bike home for the weekend. The bike cost £2700 with the panniers and top box, which is pretty reasonable I reckon for an 18,000 mile bike. It's very comfortable indeed, only problem is the wind in the chest at 70-80mph, I have a wind shield for it but it wasn't on the bike when I bought it and I haven't got round to fitting it yet.

Moriquendi

13. Shuriken

That's a damn good price if you ask me, nicely done! I've just remebered that my car's tax, insurance and MOT are due in April, so it might be a bit longer before I get a new bike :waah:

14. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

Charley Boorman's custom chopper looks the sex. It's like a steampunk motorbike of awesomeness.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I love KTM's too - I think I'd give my left leg for an 1100 RC8 or SuperDuke.

16. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

seems you guys have it tough for getting a motorcycle. im looking at a Ninja 250 for my learner bike. heard good reviews about them and they look awesome imo. am a bit of a KTM fan myself

17. Shuriken

We do indeed, and 'da man' is constantly trying to make it tougher as well, hence the new 2 part test they're bringing in.

I heard whispers among bikers that the government want to ban motorcycles out right in the UK, no idea if there's any truth in that, but to be honest it wouldn't surprise me.

18. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

From what i have heard about motorcycles bans is that there have been a few talks between officials. The one thing i have heard is that it's not aiming for an outright ban of bikes but rather for off road bikes. The ban would supposedly leave road bikes rules as they are.

After talking to my parents i have managed to get them to agree to letting me get a bike. Sadly the only part is that i am getting allowed to do the DAS so have to wait till I'm 21 aka another like 3 years.

Chris

19. Shuriken

In the nicest possible way dude, you're 18, legally an adult, if you want a bike go get one!

20. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

This old chestnut. The best places for information on bike related legal stuff is either the MAG (Motorcycle Action Group) or BMF (British Motorcyclists Federation) websites.

Anyhoo, 1984 Honda CX650. The head gasket's just gone, so it's making smoke like a Hollywood special effect. I have a choice, either spend £400 to fix it, or save my monies and get something like a Triumph Tiger 955i. Or make the switch to the dark side and get a Smart Roadster.

It's going to take a few months of saving either way.

[​IMG]