News MS: Xbox 360 to continue for five more years, at least

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jun 2010.

1. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

thats a good point actually, the thing is tho, what are the specs of the PS4 / Xbox3 going to be as i cannot see the standard resolution (1080p) for consoles increasing so as long as you can deliver dx11 (dx12) at that resolution you should be okay i..e if they where to build this console today (or in 3 years when it is likely the hardware will be put together) i could not see them using much more than a 5770

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Another 5 years is great news, means I got plenty more use out of my 360 to come. The games look great and im not ready to buy new hardware for the sake of a GPU upgrade.

I think I have invested almost £2k on my 360 with over 100 games and accessories and do not want to give it up yet.

4. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

What they mean is, as graphics really haven't changed/improved that much in the last 3 years they don't need to start developing another console. They have no goal to reach. Not like it used to be. We need Dx11 to be embraced by PC game developers and really moved on. Dunno about you, but I'm starting to get a little tired of the Unreal 3 engine. Sure it looks nice but it could look better.

5. Nowell @ CCL

Nowell @ CCL CCL Customer Services

Exactly... the hardware used in console is well behind what a PC can achieve... i hope this means devs will concentrate on moving forward with PC again.. i hate the crap excuse we get for a pc game nowadays.

6. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

OMG... My Q6600 will last forever with my HD5870... :'( Stupid consoles are stagnating evolution

7. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

As an (almost) ex-pc gamer I can see a slow down in hardware development as a good thing for pc gaming in general. The reason I stopped bothering with pc gaming is because it was far too expensive to keep up with requirements for the latest games, the frustration with this is compounded by the fact that my PC is more than adequate for every other use I have for it. The most cost effective solution to being able to play the latest games is to buy a console and in addition to that, the PS3 is so versatile that my parents have one that has never had a game in it!

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

QFT.
    Give us some flexibility. Take a break from pushing gimmicky motion-sensitive controllers targeted solely at casual gamers, and start providing support for the controllers that gamers already have, already know how to use, and already prefer - keyboard and mouse. TBH I was a little shocked that despite coming out with USB ports, none of these consoles could take a keyboard and mouse.

One of the biggest reasons I don't have a current gen console is because of no keyboard/mouse support. The only games I can stand to play with thumbsticks are racing games. You have so much more precision by being able to move your mouse across a 12" mousepad than you do by trying to tilt a thumbstick across 0.5" of motion. I don't want to wave my hands in front of a TV like a loony person, I just want to be able to accurately move my cursor across the screen.

They go through so much trouble to make these touch-sensitive and motion-sensitive controllers, but they put zero effort into improving their old controller designs, which would go a lot farther towards serious and intermediate gamers. Sony is maybe the worst, with a controller fundamentally unchanged from the original Playstation DualShock controller from the late 90s. Why don't they improve those, or at least come up with some different designs for variety? Incorporate more buttons, allow macros and hotkeys to be programmed, provide bigger thumbsticks or another technology to replace thumbsticks. Give us something that has an appeal beyond that of novelty. I've played on Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, PS3, 360, and Wii and the only game that I actually liked motion sensitive controlling for was Wii Frisbee Golf, which is the epitome of a casual game, and which I only ever play as the LAN party winds down at 4am and the SSBB players have abandoned the Wii to go sleep, and I've just finished a few hours of TF2, and I want to have a laugh.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

thats the way of life lol

10. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

the computer I had at the time produced better graphics than the 360 when it came out... and that was hardly an expensive system....

having said that my (2nd) xbox is going strong in the living room so it certainly has its place in the home and for what it does (xbla games mainly) it does it well and I cant see a need to upgrade it to be honest... heck the wii is fine for most games that I'd play in the living room.

kinect will be a fine addition as I hate losing controlers - it is to expensive though.

--- I dont think pc gaming is very expensive to be honest - but you do have to buy one gen back top of the range gear....

Id say the 4890's, gtx275's, 9800 gx2's and gtx295's are looking esp good value at the moment.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2010
  11. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Bloody hell, console games look crap compared to PC games now, never mind in another 5 years of PC developments!

This is truly bad news. :(

12. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

well honestly that seems fair, ps2 still have some market as far as I can tell (in my country that is), and besides, for a better console we dont need better hardware, we need better games (content-wise). deliver more fun games please. (for example braid was a really interesting game, and I doubt graphics/console power had that much to with it)

13. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

My E6600 will last forever with my GTX280... lol

Or maybe just another 5 years.

Anyway, yes this will mean that GPU makers may get lazy as there are not going to be many titles pushing the hardware.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

dout we will see alot of gpu development in the next few years douted it anyway

the 5xxx series is just a rehash really and the performance is poor

will the 6xxx series double the old 5 series performance wise i dout it

less said about fermi the better

15. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Incorrect. PS3 works fine with USB keyboard and mouse and I use mine with my old logitech dinovo (bluetooth). The problem is that games very rarely support them (I can't think of any) but the facility is there. Im hopeful that valve will include it as an optional control method for Portal 2.

Personally I really like the playstation controller and I can't think of any part of it that I would want to change. I never got along with the orginal xbox or 360 controllers.

16. Mik3yB @ CCL

Mik3yB @ CCL Everything is not going to be OK

I don't see why everyone is so pissed off to be honest..

If a new super powerful games console (or gpu for that matter), was released tomorrow what benefits would they bring? I think we'd see a higher resolution and maybe some new physics than the current games but that's all... They'd still play the same, so what's the rush for the new tech? Come on, it's all about gameplay... :D

17. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Wow, more blind hatred for consoles. Why am I not surprised?

I tell you what guys, make more people buy PC games and then you can dictate what hardware games are designed around.

Current gen consoles and the average gaming PC are both capable of presenting gorgeous visuals, but that doesn't necessarily mean the studios have the millions it requires to produce these visuals.

If the PS4 and XboxWhatever were released tomorrow, I guarantee we wouldn't even see a massive jump in graphical fidelity for years. Just look at how many games are released each month that don't even come close to maxing out the abilities of current consoles. The money just isn't there to hire all the designers and artists required to do it.

18. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Can you imagine how many 360's your average 360 owner will have gone through by the time the next 5 years have passed? I know people who are on their sixth already.

Still, looks like Nvidia were right...the future of GPU's isn't in gaming, not when an 8800GTX will still hold its own.

19. sharpethunder

sharpethunder Minimodder

The problem with the consoles market is that its going to hinder game development ie
    1.No improvement in game ai (take up use of cpu)
    2. If people want better looking graphic the maps or area of play will have to be smaller like on mw2
    3. The future of gaming as a whole will be on the pc as they will move from the office to where you have your tv in you home so in that time
    4 i have 2 of my friends work in the game industy and they have been told that to plan of the end of the console market in the next 10 years

20. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

when Microsoft sells software the shelf life is 2-3 years, when it comes to hardware we're looking at like 5-10.

Tags: Add Tags