1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MSI defends GTX 1080, 1070 review sample BIOS hack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Jun 2016.

1. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Doesn't Nvidia's last couple of versions of GPU Boost make any advertised stock clocks kinda redundant, anyways?

Also, most reputable reviewers would dedicated a section to clocks and over clocking - if you can't figure out (and make it known to the readers) that a card is going above it's base specification (that you should have made notes of at the beginning of a review) at that point, you're either not paying enough attention, or know full well but keeping it quiet...

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

It would be nice if GPUs, motherboards or whatever could just be picked at random from batches designated to go to retail outlets.

How practical that is I don't know.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

But then how do you show it off at its best possible state???? :lol:

adidan likes this.
  4. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This has sort of happened before in a few very odd and specific circumstances. It's not very practical due to stock control apparently.

And this. I don't know much about the politics of reviews as I tend to be too blunt with company reps and it's not part of my job but
    *Checks with lawyers :geek:
    purely from an officially uninformed but logical thinking person it wouldn't surprise me if reviewers get the best of the best.

TheMadDutchDude and adidan like this.
  5. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They don’t always receive the best... I can assure you of that. However, the companies do sometimes try to make sure you get a good sample.

On the other hand... a vendor has asked me to pull a review before because it got smashed by another product from another vendor, and then wanted me to retest with a new BIOS that wasn’t even ready yet. Nope!!

MLyons likes this.