Other Multi Tool / Swiss Army Knife

Discussion in 'General' started by will_123, 3 Mar 2014.

1. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Im looking to buy myself a decent swiss army knife/multi tool for my work. Im a sys admin but moved into a role where there is a much larger data centre. Doing a lot more maintenance than before. Always cutting stuff and lifting gratings, I feel a nice well made mutli tool would be very useful.

Anybody got a good one? Wirecutters, knife and plyers would be a good start. Durability would be good so its well made and solid :)

Cheers for advice.

William

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I've a leatherman Skeletool CX here next to me, sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the bigger leathermans but I don't need them plus it weighs next to nothing.

[​IMG]

comfy as **** to use as well.

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I have a Leatherman Wave in my work-briefcase. I've owned this particular wave for over 8 years and it still works flawlessly. They can take a beaten.

For serious daily use, I would suggest a decent wirecutter (Knipex), plyers (Knipex), some screwdrivers (Facom?) and your choice of knife though. The Leatherman is fine for the occasional use, but it's not the most easy to use tool for every day use.

good luck

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Leatherman all the way.
    I personally don't use multi tools, but mates of mine do, and they swear by Leatherman simply for the hassle free service (including exchanging the blades, locks, etc if necessary) at any reputable Leatherman store.

Mind - that's like that in South Africa and Namibia. Not sure about the rest of the world.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

6. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Victorinox too - I have two of them and one of them is a good 5 years old, used regularly, still very strong.

The steel that Victorinox use puts any other knife I have to shame - gets very sharp and stays sharp.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've had a lightly customised Leatherman Charge Ti on my belt for a number of years now. Well, except when I'm washing my trousers. Y'know what I mean. It's been absolutely smashing throughout. Never even needed to touch the lifetime warranty. Anecdotally, I know a friend who used to get a brand-new Leatherman every single year under warranty, 'cos he kept snapping the jaws owing to using it to prise out fencing staples with a twisting technique day-in, day-out. Never had an issue with getting replacements.

[​IMG]

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ooo whered you get that done? id love to get something custom on my skeletool.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Did it myself, using a pouch of orange Sugru. The finish is a bit messier than I'd have liked - it was only the second time I'd used the stuff, and I was still learning how to work it - but it'll do. Surprisingly hard-wearing, too: I did that when Sugru first came out, which was a few years ago now, and it hasn't shown any real signs of wear yet. I had a bit left over, too, so I rubbed it into the logo plate on the pouch to match. Pimp My Leatherman!

10. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I have a victorinox multitool, I have had it about 13 years and it's great. I have the swiss champ as well, which is also ace, I have a keyring size victorinox that I use for opening boxes and is also great and I have a new-ish (bought last year I think) gerber suspension multitool. I mostly use my little keyring and suspension day to day, but mainly as I retired the victorinox as someone gave it to me and I don't want to lose it - it was however also, an amazing multitool.

I haven't ever owned a leatherman, always bought victorinox and got the gerber as it was cheap and I needed something cheap to stick in my bag.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Ooh like the look of that Sugru stuff,

12. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Cheers guys going to opt for a Leather man Ti or Skeletool I reckon!