1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors My Car is dead and I need a new one!

Discussion in 'General' started by Bogomip, 30 Apr 2012.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Micra = K11, no newer as they have french parts that are incredibly unreliable.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Designed in Japan, assembled in Sunderland. But the people who care what my car looks like aren't me - so I have very little to worry about. It's big, safe, comfortable, and has enough space to cart around the epic amount of stuff required for a small child!

My other car is a Kia Cee'd. Go figure :D

Both 1 owner from new, both very uncool, both built to last.

3. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Due to the renault - nissan aliance many new cars share design/parts also.

It was also prbably designed all around the world

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Focus 1.6 LX 5Door I am getting :) It has alot of miles on but its very cheap, and my borther has had the engine checked and its fine apparantly, so that will do me for a while - and for £665 its not really too bad - brother rates and all :p

Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate the time you have put in to it :)

5. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

You will love it my dad has 1 with no problems what so ever my dads is an 05 plate...

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

My K12 Micra is indestructible! It's done 69K now, it's serviced of course, but other than that, abused. So far, the most reliable car I've ever had. The worst problem was a broken door handle, and a sticky ignition switch (apparently a common fault).

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Can't really go wrong with Ford.

Apparently the Toyota Yaris is getting pretty popular. Pity they're souless.

8. Puk

Puk (A shrewd and knavish sprite)

Lots of Ford love. They are a decent motor, suggest treading careful if you look at anything 06 diesel onwards with a DPF filter, ie the 1.6tdci Focus. Stay clear.

9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

The invention of the DPF ruined the diesel engine.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Surely it depends on how it's been driven though? Little old lady running down to the shops and back will ruin it, someone doing decent miles with good runs on the motorway etc will keep it cleaned up and decent?

If it does go wrong it can't be that hard to remove and have the ECU programmed to ignore it surely?

Every time I've read someone's account about DPF failure it's been because they drive like a minicabber for the vehicle's life, never letting the revs get up high on longer runs to let the regeneration cycle complete.

Last edited: 2 May 2012
  11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

qft

adds nothing but expense for the owner with no rewards other than reduced tax due to the stupid tax system they have in place now.

When the Mrs was looking for a car to buy, she was actively told by salesmen that unless you go 70 down the motorway on a semi regular basis a small modern diesel was more trouble than its worth with dpf issues.

A salesman for both Vauxhaull and Ford said this!

12. Krikkit

So why is this a surprise? Have we become so lazy and blinded by mpg figures and 18" alloy wheels that we can't pick a car to suit our purpose anymore?

More shocking news coming from car manufacturers today; a pickup truck doesn't make the best city car. Nissan have also confirmed that their new electric car, the Note, isn't the best choice for a 200 mile daily commute.

13. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

QFT. The engines that used to be built like tanks are now fragile little things. I really feel for those who bought a car with a DPF that only do city driving.

14. kenco_uk

My K12 is destructible. I had to mod a new bootswitch, replace the thermostat and I still have a fault with very lumpy idling and cutting out when the revs drop too low (it doesn't stall, it just coasts). It usually only happens when pulling up to a junction and changing down gear - I've never had this problem before on any other car I've driven (and I've driven a few, mind). The trouble is, it could be the idle control valve, which means a new throttle body. It could be the idle control solenoid that's sticking, it could be the fuel injector fuse. It also squeals while braking. Sometimes when the car 'boots up' it works brill, it feels responsive. Mainly when it starts up it doesn't seem to have that extra bit of hoof, and then sometimes you can feel the extra bit of hoof kick in, going up a hill for example in third sometimes you can feel it kick in (it's not like nitro, this is a 1.2 petrol remember!)

Other than that though, when it's working, it's great :D

15. Krikkit

The ICV is an integral part of the TB? That sounds a bit mad. I'd give the solenoid a clean up with some carb cleaner and see if that helps, then change that fuse.

The Mrs' Focus has a couple of interesting quirks - one is an occasionally faulty ICV/ICV connection, the other is a yet-undetermined cause of it randomly not wanting to start after cold nights. No-one's sure whether it's a sticky valve or what, and it's a pretty rare issue.

16. kenco_uk

Unfortunately, when it comes to the noisy bit under the bonnet regarding which bit performs whatever function, I am absolutely clueless. The most technical things I've done are to fill up the screenwash reservoir and change a tyre - and I chipped a bone doing that as the wheel brace flew off and hit my thumb.

And yes, the icv is built into the throttle body, it is crazy. I only know that much from reading other forums, if someone handed me the part and said what it was, I'd have to believe them.

17. Yeoo

Yeoo Minimodder

I drive a 2001 BMW 330Ci .. cost me 3k got every toy going and ges 30mpg. win

18. bagman

bagman Minimodder

Well I can speak up for audi's, parents got 2 both are bomb proof. Got a A6 99' which I drive, done 200K miles tight as a drum, and only changed clucth (after 3 new drivers) and turbo in that time. Mum drives a 08' A6 and no issues. Dad drives mercedes 05' and well yeah many issues. I peronally would go audi, VW, ford, honda or toyota.