1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress My Glass & Steel Orange Graphite 600T

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dave2010_TA, 28 May 2012.

1. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

The other panel

The panel opposite to that of the hardware side, shown above, will be the one that will house the hooking of the passive radiators.
    Between each radiator there will be a window, consisting of a steel frame, with fixed behind the glass orange, accordingly illuminated. The thickness of the frame will be 1 mm and that of the glass 4 mm.
    To guess the size of the windows I redesigned one side of the cabinet in Autocad and I extruded, trying to simplify, since all of the particular case I did not need.

[​IMG]

I identified with the dashed line orange the hypothetical position of radiators and with blue, the size of the frame of the window.
    In the three following photos you can see the two pieces that will form the window and their assembly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To conclude, an overview with the radiators completely redesigned from scratch.
    Note that I put the radiators on the door: in fact I will leave at least 2 cm between the radiator and the panel, using the spacers on the screws of the radiator support panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

I'm trying to buy the glass alredy cutted by waterjet, with my design. In this days, I was talking with a factory that can provide me the glass with the particul forms that I designed, using waterjet. the glass that I'm thinking of use, is very particular, because I don't want classic painted glass: I want particular glasses...like this...emm I'll show you later :D

3. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Backplate VGA

With regard to the backplate of the vga, I found on the web measures a GTX680 and surf a little, 'I saw the standard form they have.
    As you can see in the photo, there are no holes and grooves on both the glass in the steel. During the development of the mod decide how to carve the steel and where to drill the glass.
    The thickness for the steel is always 1 mm and 4 mm glass.

[​IMG]

4. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Back of the case

Now I show you what I have planned for the rear of the case, the one that houses the slot for a 120mm fan, the covers for the vga and power supply.
    I devised a completely revised coverage, leaving the bay of vga and housing supply, that will not change.
    I renounce the use of the 120 mm fan on the rear case. The steel plate will have a thickness of 1 mm and the glass the usual 4 mm.
    The steel panels, as you can see, there will be two, one internal and one external to the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Motherboard's frame

Now it's up to the frame of the motherboard.
    In any case that has a minimum of management rear cabling incur in many of those rubber gaskets installed on the holes that allow the passage of cables from the rear of the case, the hardware area. I state my deep hatred for this aesthetic solution (the functionality is very obviously not doubt it), as in previous mod on the 800D, I want to completely mask the area obtaining only the steps that I need.
    The thickness is the usual millimeter and in this panel will install not glasses. The three holes, respectively from top to bottom need to pass the 24 cables on the motherboard, the cables for sata hdd and cd-dvd and the lower one for the large amount of cables that will leave power to all devices .

[​IMG]

6. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Internal structure

I am going to describe the internal structure.
    For the inside I created the following components, shown below.
    From left to right in the order noted: the L-shaped support for the two pumps, the door panel trays, the front panel and related glasses.
    The first glass, which is the fourth model from the left, will the glass for the front panel, while the last glass, perforated to facilitate the air intake for the radiator 200 mm, will be mounted on the door panel water tanks.
    All steel panels have a thickness of 1 mm and 4 mm glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The support of the pumps will be fix to the glass of the water tanks panel. The water tanks will be place on it.
    For the right panel, a simple "L form" glass, and the steel panel to fix the glass.

[​IMG]

Final assembling.
    The protrusions of the panel water tanks will be bent from one side to engage on the other panel and the other side they will instead be bent from the opposite side in order to attach to the frame of the motherboard shown previously.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Internal bottom of the cabinet

Now it's the last panel combination glass / steel.
    The fund was conceived in terms of aesthetics for the mod is for when it concerns the radiator of 200 mm in the immediate vicinity.
    The panel will cover almost the entire bottom of the case: we find on the right side instead of the slots, in order to allow the radiator placed nearby, fresh air from under the cabinet.
    Thickness 1 mm to 4 mm for steel and glass.
    The panels in L described above, it shall anchor in this bottom panel exactly barycentrically, between the shape of glass and the cracks on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Steel panels

The steel panels are ready...watch them!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

10. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Hello guys, in the afternoon I proceeded to check that all panels produced were measured well and so it was. They are all accurate to the millimeter.
    Therefore, I have started to fix the radiators on the rear panel, and then cut off and the windows stay between the radiator and the other.
    For the cuts I had to postpone till later, time is running out (and is not weather).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The situation is yet to be determined, I have to put shims in the two anchor points of each radiator, for at least half a centimeter distance it from the panel of the cabinet.
    Subsequently, the painting. Big question, I make them orange or blacks?
    I incline for blacks ... you say? I'm going to repaint the whole house, on the outside, opaque orange and leave the black interior, then the radiators blacks are fine.

11. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Yesterday afternoon I went to a little glass factory near my office in Milan, because my two glass tubes were ready. This two tubes allow me to build the two water tanks that I designed. A big thanks to Vincenzo, a very big friends on TechArena and also in real life. Thank you man! :clap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Proceed with the five slots of the side plates to position the windows.
    I used the tape paper path and the two profiles of windows, top and bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, I drilled the windows to anchor the wall. The other holes that you see already, references to laser, will serve to secure the glass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, with the help of the vertical support and my trusty dremel, I started to cut the bulkhead to get the openings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These days I should be able to finish all the openings (since it is a scary noise, I make a few at a time, otherwise the neighbors kill me).

13. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

C'mon, c'mon ... four pictures for you to see that you are working here in August, not grilling.
    I finished the first vertical cuts going to the beach with my parents last Thursday and returned yesterday. Today I completed a complete cut of a window, but it's too hot and the desire is scarce.
    But do not leave you high and dry if not tell me that I put too much time (in fact ...).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

This morning I finished the openings on the bulkhead, after sweating a couple of shirts. I was a bit 'of adhesive tape attached paper, and deposited a little' dust due to the cuts, but I soon clean with thinner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

I decided to build me a craft table to keep in the garage, now in the house I was bothering my parents and dog hihi, I had parts everywhere. You can not imagine what satisfaction, not to the table, but for the fact that all my boxes for me and us to all my work. Move slightly out of the car and left all that space in front to work smoothly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Good Start, all the water cooling bits look swish.

17. Epiales74

Epiales74 What's a Dremel?

This is looking amazing keep it up :jawdrop:

18. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Thank you guys, I hope to make better in this mod, better than now!! :thumb:

19. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

20. Dave2010_TA

Dave2010_TA Minimodder

Mmm, I think that you like it...:D