1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress My Project - The Rise Of The Triad.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 13 Jul 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well all that came today was the tape. The most expensive part of the paint booth at £5.50 lol. I could have gotten cheaper tape but I wanted it clear. Not because it makes it look better than using gray but because I need to be able to see what is going on inside the filter when I test it. I need to make sure that no actual paint is getting past the filter.

So being air tight is quite important, so I set about sealing what I could. First up there was a large crack in the bottom. By the time I had done this I was getting quite tired and began to rush. Typical though, last hole I pushed the drill through hard and it split. I tried to weld it but it seems whatever these tubs are made out of doesn't weld.

[​IMG]

You can see the power socket there too. I will run this from an external PSU as 1. It means I don't need to sacrifice a PSU just for this and 2. the unit will be much lighter. It also stops me from having to seal up the PSU to stop paint getting in. So I just put a run of tape down both sides, problem solved.

[​IMG]

And then I sealed the fan to the adapter.

[​IMG]

Replaced a missing piece with tape (it was curved and stopped the fans going on properly.)

[​IMG]

And then sealed up any holes on the two intake fans :)

[​IMG]

I've now packed it away. There's no point putting in the rear fan without the hose as I would only need to remove it again.

Hopefully some more stuff will come tomorrow :)

2. Vault-Tec

Of course I just had to do this :D

[​IMG]

3. Vault-Tec

The paint booth is finished :D Firstly the hose came.

[​IMG]

I then fitted it. Note you will need scissors and a pair of clippers for this (so you can cut through the wire support)

[​IMG]

And then sealed it all down.

[​IMG]

Then fitted the fan.

[​IMG]

Test :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwHxchFPv1Q

Yup that works alright :D I then fitted the front intake filter.

[​IMG]

Secondary internal filter.

[​IMG]

Tested it again with all of the fans and lights running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4aDZ2BJ2MA

And then sealed it all up

[​IMG]

Noting that I had to remove some of the internal filter as it was too dense and blocking airflow. I then did the "vape test" where I use vape to test air flow (I do this in my rig as well with my fans) and it is doing what it should :) the goggles and mask arrived today but sadly the goggle lens is broken :(

4. Vault-Tec

OK so the serious crap has begun.

Here are all of the primed parts except one.

[​IMG]

There are three errors. Two where I accidentally touched them whilst laying down other parts and one where I didn't use the tack cloth (across the top of the masking tape).

That's OK though, because it's on the masking tape which will be coming off.

Here is the last part, the nose cone.

[​IMG]

The booth is kinda dirty now but man, it's exceptional. I mean obs it stinks of paint in the kitchen because the parts are drying in there but if you look at the sunlight it's completely clear. All paint that would be floating around has been extracted :)

If you look at the back filter you can see how much crud it has removed.

[​IMG]

It will need a good clean with alcohol before I paint in it again but yeah, don't know how I lived without this thing tbh. I now need to let the parts fully harden for a few days before I can repair any bad areas and wet sand them with P1000. I reckon I may be putting on finish coat this time next week :D

5. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Mod in a mod :D

Great painting cabinet :clap:

6. Vault-Tec

Thanks ! I was hoping I hadn't bored every one away by making the paint booth :D

Best mod ever. I can see this thing getting serious use over the next couple of years. Somewhere I have an Omaura Karma HTPC case that badly needs repainting :D

7. Vault-Tec

Ah the pains of being human. So I messed it all up pretty much. I went out to check the panels were dry today and they were so I started off wet sanding with P800. That went really well and it didn't take long before they were ready to be painted. However, it's hot today and I probably should have just left it but I decided to paint on any way.

Mistake 1. Not making sure that the booth had been completely cleaned out so the first part is now covered in bits /facepalm. Not too much of a problem, because mistake 2 would have seen that part needing more paint any way. It seems that Montana Gold is not the same finish as Montana black (not the colours they are the range names). So Montana gold is a really nasty shiny satin which I really don't like.

And then I went on to make the same three mistakes I made before, on exactly the same bloody parts. It seems the board I was laying them out on was not big enough and I was clumsy and touched two of the sodding panels, so they'll need repainting too.

Ah well, the joys of PC modding I guess. I did take a pic but all of the parts are still very wet and this paint is weird because when it's wet it looks like you have the worst orange peel ever, yet when it dries after about an hour (well, dry to the touch) it seems to have smoothed out. Odd !

[​IMG]

And I even made a video :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqrrQUWMyi4

What's annoying is this paint takes about two weeks to fully cure.

8. Vault-Tec

OK so after basically throwing a strop yesterday I decided to look at my options.

Option 1. Wait for the paint to full harden so I can smooth it down and repaint. Thing is, this paint takes about two to three weeks to fully harden so that option would have been painful.

Option 2. Make the panels again. This is all well and good but the side panel was a PITA and took me about three days to finalise the design and get it done.

I wanted to wait for the paint to harden but I remembered that if you then try and sand it it's still quite soft underneath. Fully removing it would probably destroy the panel. Ugh.

Any way, I looked at the parts that did come out properly...

[​IMG]

And it reminded me just how much I love this paint. When it goes off properly after a couple of weeks the finish is just incredible. It's like touching an egg shell and is rock hard.

So I decided to make the two effed panels.

[​IMG]

And the back which took the longest.

[​IMG]

And clean :)

[​IMG]

I will melt the screw holes in later today and then prep them. Shouldn't take long, they're a lot better than the originals.

9. Hunterbait

Hunterbait That's how you change it!

It's coming along really well.
    The flip side to remaking parts is that you already know what to do!
    Could you use a small heater to help cure the paint faster?
    I use rustoleum rattle cans and put a small space heater in front of my paint booth (which is a cardboard box with a paint encrusted 80mm fan blowing out the side)

10. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

You won't get as much use as you think... you'll mod it and rebuild it better before long. Once you start making your own tools, it is a whole other path of modding.

As for your mistakes, remember patience.

11. Vault-Tec

The only heater I have is like a false wood burning stove fan heater. Thankfully it's been very hot for the past four days down here on the south coast, but I learned with this paint before that nothing seemed to make it cure faster it just takes a long time but it's worth the wait :)

Yeah, making the new panels took me about an hour all in. That's not bad given that one of them took me nearly three days before (though I will admit I had to work it out as I went and wait for ideas :D )

The last time I made a mini paint oven (hairdryer and shoe box) I melted a very expensive model I had spent over a week building lmao.

Sometimes I am OTT patient other times I get into a flap and just rush. Thankfully I only have a few parts to paint and they're all pretty small so with any luck I can get that over and done with in a couple of days (not today I really don't feel like it so I won't force myself as that's when mistakes happen) and can then just set it all aside and wait for the day/2 days it will take me to fit everything and run all of the wiring :)

Once the paint on the good parts sets up I have plenty to do like fitting graphics, light diffusers, lights, SSDs etc. So there will be more than enough to keep me busy :)

12. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:eeek: :worried:

Have you already considered to paint your keyboard ? :D:lol:

13. Vault-Tec

Best keyboard of ever that is mate.

OK so having woken up slowly and properly this morning I decided to paint. I had three parts to do, so gave them a good clean with alcohol and a tack cloth and just decided to blow the paint straight on. The biggest culprit during this painting has been the primer, which dried into dust.

And yeah, they seem to have come out really well :)

In other news the other painted parts now feel hard to the touch. The sides still feel faintly sticky but it seems the paint has finally started to really harden up.

That means I could (not today maybe another two days) start building up the parts with other parts on them (if that makes any sense at all).

Will get a pic later :)

14. Vault-Tec

If at first you don't succeed, kick him in the nuts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Vault-Tec

Awww fudge :D I forgot something lol.

[​IMG]

It's the front/bottom intake panel. This is the panel the fan with the nose cone will go in and I forgot that I hacked it around when I got the rig. It had a 2mm deep channel around the fan and because the fans I switched to had rubber gaskets they wouldn't fit. So as you can see, I did a sterling job of modding it :D I didn't think you would see it but it was visible and looks like poo.

So today I will prep and try and get that done. I also forgot to paint the mobo heatsink cover, so that can go in the booth with it.

Here are all the painted parts happily drying :)

[​IMG]

I have also removed the masking on the bottom panel so it's ready to have the strip covers fitted and the cathodes.

16. Vault-Tec

Well that didn't go as I thought it would :D it turned out that in my impatience when removing the lip over a year ago I broke into the surface, so it wasn't just a case of sanding it flush. I had to do some bodywork on it.

[​IMG]

And it's masked up ready for cleaning and painting :)

[​IMG]

17. Hunterbait

Hunterbait That's how you change it!

Yay body work!
    I love body filler, it fixes all hack jobs we make haha

18. Vault-Tec

Hehe. I've used a bit along the way, that's for sure :D

I just painted it a minute ago and it looks OK. Can see the filler in places but it's good enough. Once the fan goes on and some graphics it should look pretty good :)

19. Vault-Tec

It's now been over a week since I painted the first run of panels and as such I haven't really had that much to do apart from sitting around twiddling my thumbs and thinking about future projects.

I made up some GPU extension cables but the blue Cable Mod ones (I made the black ones) are thin and don't hold in the combs I have properly. I may end up not using them, but it saved me from terminal boredom yesterday so that's good, I guess.

[​IMG]

However the paint seems to be nice and hard now so I can present this, the first almost completed part, hurrah !*

[​IMG]

*This is the panel that needed bodywork and it's come out splendidly :) it's not complete yet because I have not assembled the nose cone but I think it looks awesome.

I will start work on the nose cone later tonight :)

20. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

:rock: