1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks My VAIO is not booting!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by psychoti, 17 Nov 2011.

1. psychoti

psychoti What's a Dremel?

I need some experience here guys!

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NW20ZF (i wish sony had easier model names!xD)
    It was working ok all day, i left it on in teh room i went out and when i came back it had a black screen was saying something like 'CANNOT FIND OPERATING SUSTEM'

ive tried f5 f8 f10 and it still shows me the same message 'CANNOT FIND OPERATING SYSTEM'

i used the recovery disks and i did the vaio hardware diagnostics cpu and memory tests ok but when it went to test hardrive the test stopped. i went to check for bad sectors through teh same software and i didnt have the option to choose a partition or any hardrive, the list was empty.

i have very important files that i need to save. im thinking of removing teh hardware and put it in and external case and connect it with usb to my desktop, do you think this is a good idea?

any help will be really appreciated!

thanks

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Yup, connect the drive to another computer and make sure everything is backed up before trying anything else. Fingers crossed for you that the drive isn't fubared.

3. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

Sounds like the drive has died on you. Get it out and in a caddy to see if you can get off what you need. Sometime you still can even though it's on its last legs. I've done this many times. Has it been running slowly lately or loading but being really slow doing certain things??

4. this-IT-guy

this-IT-guy What's a Dremel?

Yup

That's what I would do.