Cases Need a dust filter for Fractal Design R2

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Salty Wagyu, 28 Oct 2010.

1. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Hi,

As I use a Corsair H50, the fan at the back is intake to blow cold air inside. Yesterday I went to switch out the noisy Corsair fan for a more quiet Noctua and found that the radiator had collected heavy amounts of dust in only 8 months.

Figured this is because the case had no included dust filter for the back, so I'm wondering what some of you have used as a dust filter for this particular case. I'm worried about the radiator screws not being long enough to fit a dust filter in addition with the fan and radiator. But there's also the magnetic dust filter that I could just attach on the outside, but have no idea if this case is magnetic.

What are your recommendations? Thanks in advance :)

2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Only 8 months?! I have to clean out my dust filters every few weeks.

To be honest though, I'd just flip it around and have it as an exhaust. It won't make that much difference, especially if you have plenty of cool air coming in through the front two fans.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

4. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Ah yeah, I do have to clean out the filters regularly too :)

I'm quite happy with the case fan setup as it is at the moment though. 2 intakes, one at the front and back, and one exhaust at the top, and I don't want to add any more noise to it with another fan at the front.

Will the radiator screws that came with the H50 be able to fit that in too? It doesn't say how thick it is so I'm not sure how much of the screw length it would occupy. Probably not worth the risk if the tips of the screw can't reach my radiator in the end after going through a fan and filter.

--

I may as well try the magnetic dust filter, I borrowed a magnetic screwdriver and it sticks to the metal at the back of my case, plus it'd be easy to remove to wash the dust off.

Thanks for the replies :)

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

If push comes to shove you can use stockings.