1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Need For Speed: The Run Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 23 Nov 2011.

1. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Glad to see someone else feel's the same.

The thing I liked about Most Wanted was the fact it had a decent story in that you had to win your car back from the person who stole it effectively.

The track's are really good fun and were in some greatly imagined areas.

I liked the lack of vehicle damage as well, within the games until the Need For Speed Hot Pursuit because if I wanted realism I would play a realistic driving game like Need For Speed Shift and Pro Street etc.

I liked Need For Speed Underground and Underground 2, because of the night time racing because I like them in the dark because of the glare from the sunlight you get in the games.

Think I might have to throw a small hdd in my pc as there is not enough space left on my SSD and install the older NFS games, and try to get them to run at a higher resolution to fill my screen rather than have the black bars on the side.

2. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

After buying a controller halfway through playing GRiD, I found it horrible and went back to keyboard controls... Keyboard controls can be OK if you get used to them :thumb:

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Fair enough, just seems like a very un-modulated way to steer / accelerate!

4. gabe777

gabe777 What's a Dremel?

Unbelievable.

No ockpit view and 30 FPS stutteration... 9/10 ?

WTF.

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Interesting review, surprised to see it score so high but that's not a bad thing.....I'll pick this up on Xbox

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I would give this game a 5/10 at the most due to some of the issues that I have with it but they are my issues with it and not everyone will have the same or even any of them.

7. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

An update on gamepad support: we previously said that The Run doesn't support gamepads, but what it actually doesn't support is our Raptor Gaming M3 Platinum mouse (most of the time). It incorrectly identifies this as a steering wheel, and ignores your request to use the keyboard or gamepad instead. Apologies for any confusion caused by this bizarre issue and our previous comments.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Most certainly no.

There is that thing called Wheel...

9. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

The last arcade racer I played which was any good with a steering wheel was NFS Porsche 2000, games like the Race Driver series and NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 are hidious with a wheel, even Shift 2 is a bit iffy with one imo.

10. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Because I can only afford a shitty gamepad, and I don't play enough racing games to justify getting a wheel.
    k?
    k.

11. Sutura

Sutura What's a Dremel?

Well, yeah 90% is a little bit high. Even Gamespot that are very generous gave it around 7 point something. Dunno haven't played it yet can't really tell. I am glad other people like NFS Most Wanted too. I thought I was the last person to think this is one of the best NFS games.

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: My room is already cluttered enough without a big bulky game controller, would be nice to have the space & money to make a kickass cockpit, in fact if I was loaded I'd have a gaming room with different setups for different game types but I'm not so I'll stick with a pad which is also clutter :hehe:.

Does it force Origin on you? this is the to buy or not to buy question for me.

13. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

Just got this and love the gameplay- yes the plot is painful, as are any bits not involving racing, but the actual racing is fantastic.

It's not for people who want a realistic racing game like Forza 4, but it really is great fun.

14. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

30 fps, no keyboard controls and a 2-3 hour campaign does not sound like my idea of a great PC game.

15. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Well all these things shout console port to me, frankly I'd only buy this sort of game on a console as A you use a gamepad from the offset and B can sell it on for near what I paid easily, without it being locked to something like Origin etc.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

When was the last PC steering wheel shootout?

I remember the Microsoft Sidewinder FF wheel beeing good value for money, then the Logitech Momo FF (the momo had metal gears?) then a lot of plastic crap, then the really, really expensive ones start.

Neither the Sidewinder nor the momo are produced anymore though.
    So what now?
    An el-cheapo rumble PS3 wheel? naaaah!

17. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

I use keyboard for arcade racing games.
    I use a PS3 controller for online racing games such as Dirt3.
    I'd use a wheel & pedal if I had them for racing simulators such as Race 07 and Richard Burns Rally.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Oh please. My logitech wheel and pedals cost 35 on ebay second hand 12 years ago and they still work today.

19. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Need 4 Speed: The Runs: Gaming diarrhea edition.

20. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Hehe, it's an unfortunate name...

Not really sure whether this deserves 90%, seems a little too high for an arcade racer that brings nothing new to the scene, is ported (and obviously so), and has laggy steering wheel control. Then again I thought much the same of Shift 2 which was also reviewed highly, I think I might have to get a more general consensus with racing games, rather than just BT.

Tags: Add Tags