Modding Need Help Quick! External Drive Question!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Bradish, 7 Jul 2005.

1. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I was about to get started on a new Quad storage external drive case, by using the guts of 2 crappy external drives that I recently got, and then using a IDE Gender changer to allow me to hook the IDE cable that are on the board now to a 3 headed IDE cable (1 head to go to the gender changer and then 2 to connect to 2 drives), (I would do this for both of the controller boards so I could hook up 3 HDDs and 1 DVD+-RW between the guts of both drives). I was about to start the project but then my friend called to my attention that he thought that the USB wouldn't be able to see both of the drives if I just split them with the gender changer as I was planning to. Does anyone have any thoughts or documentation on this? I couldnt find any. Thanks for your help everyone!

-Brad

BTW: if anyone finds me documentation within an hour that completly answers my question I'll Paypal you $5 for your time.

2. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

I don't think IDE cables support more than 2 Devices. I also doubt that the circutry inside your crappy external drives that you ripped apart would support even a second drive, you will need 4 external drive cases and 4 usb/firewire ports. That is unless someone proves me wrong :D

3. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

www.span.com sell bridge boards for usb to both pata and sata drives they can control up to 4 drives from 1 controller