1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nerf Gun Modding

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Jun 2010.

1. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

i love that bill hicks joke about aliens visiting small towns and all the morons take guns to check it out , if it happened for real near NERF-town all the NERF-NECKS would take thier NERF guns too . modded or not . LOL

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Shimming will indeed increase the force available.

The potential energy held by the spring is half of the spring constant, times the displacement squared. This is the displacement from fully uncompressed.

If you compress a spring from fully uncompressed to being compressed by three inches, your energy is one half of the spring constant times 3^2 - 0^2 = 9 - 0 = 9
    If you compress a spring from being compressed by two inches to being compressed by five inches, your energy is one half of the spring constant times 5^2 - 2^2 = 25 - 4 = 21.

That same 3" displacement now has over twice as much potential energy, because it is pre-loaded.

The change in force is the same, but the absolute force is higher, so the change in energy is higher.

3. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Wow, defintion of nerd.

But nevertheless, mod-lust!

4. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

I never knew we had Snoop Dogg on the tha forums.

Word up, D-oh-double g.

5. kingjohn

kingjohn mod this sucker

just telling it like it is was back then . and i love snoop d but more into P E . is bit-tech still doing hat deal with scan on free del if you post 20 x . sifter3000

6. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Yup, just check the Scan forum...

7. Chombo

Chombo What's a Dremel?

I always wondered exactly how accurate the "sniper rifle" nerf guns are.

I have long since donated my nerf arsenal to my assorted nephews who have abused them to the point of inoperability. I do find myself tempted to buy another one so I can dominate them but I would hardly use it to make the purchase worth it.

I am really impressed with the level of the mods, I especially like the steampunk ones. Though at this point I am more into modifying my real firearms over nerf ones. But they are still cook nonetheless.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Maybe a slow month, but I liked the article. It might even prompt someone to incorporate one into their next PC mod.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

wow those are awesome, they need to make nerf guns like that, so sick, granted because the orange tips have been painted anyone playing with one can get in trouble with the local law (depending on what your laws are of course). Still neat.

10. Neversoft

Neversoft What's a Dremel?

I can't decide which one is my favorite. The Steampunk Maverick 2 or Nerf WMD...

The Nerf Sniper Rifle is pretty amazing though!

11. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Greeeat. Between these and the Steam sale it's going to be very hard to explain to the other half where all my money is going ~.~ at least it's not term time anymore so I'm not throwing my money away at pool and beer.

I hope Play.com send me my Maverick and dart tags soon ^.^

12. she'shighvoltage!

she'shighvoltage! What's a Dremel?

The clear Maverick is real, a friend of mine got it as a Christmas present two years back ;)

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Hah. SWMBO tells me I should do this for extra cash, since I paint so well. I think I will.

14. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

Having quite a collection of modded nerf guns, this was a nice article to read, also highlighting some mods i haven't seen before.

I don't see why you needed to weigh the cylinder of the maverick, mine moves just fine. it wasn't mentioned in the article, but there's a square block at the rear of the cylinder opening that needs cutting down to let the cylinder flip out fully.

the Longshot was on sale in the UK, but wasn't released by Hasbro UK. Toys R Us imported the longshot in themselves, so you may want to try there. saying this, TRU are at it again importing the LongStrike, the new Sniper rifle.

I'd recommend Acrylic based car paint for a base color, and Tamiya paint for details. not used GW paint, but as long as it's a hardwearing paint (since you'll be holding the gun, and possibly sliding parts on it) it should not flake off

All of the nerf guns have orange tips. i'd recommend people who are painting their guns, even in bright colors, to LEAVE THE TIP ORANGE! also, magazines are also in orange, i tend to leave mine unpainted to highlight them as a toy.

Havoc Fire (AKA Vulcan in the US) is a fun gun, currently modifying mine into a TF2 Heavy's Sasha. it does tend to chew through cheap batteries, a decent brand last longer.
    also, sad news for anyone wanting the 100 round belt. you can only join 2 belts together, making a 50 round belt, with a dud between the 2, 25 round belts.

the Longshot sniper rifle is an absolute PIG to fire accurately. the breach system leaks so much air at times that the major modification done is a complete rebuild of the breech system. the most common one is known as a 'Angel Breech' so you should start there. after that, custom built rounds, new springs (yes, multiple springs) and a bit of strengthening up some of the internals and you'll get a longshot to 75-100 feet range

As for quick domination, the Raider is the one you should be looking for. a 35 round drum magazine gives you more shots than the Havoc fire, and once you nail the slamfire technique, you can fire them faster than the havoc fire.

couple of quick tips to leave on:

want more magazines, a drum mag or havoc fire belts? contact Hasbro UK's customer service and ask for them. they're considered 'spare parts' for Nerf and are quite cheap. you'll need to buy ammo for them though.

speaking of ammo, there's 3 main types. Whistler, Streamline and Dart tag.
    -Whistlers have a large rubber head that makes a whistle sound as they fly through the air. they work best with de-restricted, direct plunger type guns (nerf nitefinder)
    -Dart tag rounds are the same as whistlers, but their heads are covered in velcro. not much use unless you're wearing dart tag armor or a wooley jumper. best avoided.
    both of these types of ammo will NOT work with any of the clip system guns
    -Streamlines have smaller heads which allow them to fit inside the magazines of the clip system guns. these darts work with ALL guns, however their smaller head causes them to fishtail out of control when you de-restrict the gun.

most of the clip system guns (longshot/strike, recon, raider) use a reverse plunger type of firing mechanism, where the piston is fixed to the barrel and a outer cylinder moves over the top of it. there's a quick and easy way to gain some more power, especially if you're a watercooler.
    when your gun is disasembled, load a dart in the end of the barrel. then from the plunger head to the end of the dart, measure a length of 3/8"ID tubing (13-14mm) and wrap some tape rings on the ends and some in the middle, then push it inside the barrel from the plunger end. make sure the tape rings make a good airtight seal.
    the narrower ID of the tubing reduces the amount of 'deadspace' in the plunger tube, thus forcing more air behind the dart, giving it more force

15. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Doesn't that calculation assume that the spring will be able to fully extend though? The finite space available in the gun obviously prevents full extension

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

No, im my example it ends at 2" compression.

Energy is the square of compression. So uncompressed is zero energy, 1 unit of compression is 1 unit of energy, 2 units of compression is 4 units of energy, 3 units of compression is 9 units of energy, etc.

The total change in energy is the energy at the maximum compression minus the energy at the minimum compression.

Releasing from a 2" compression to zero compression is 4 - 0 = 4 units of energy from 2" of compression on an unloaded spring (factory)
    Releasing from a 4" compression to zero compression is 16 - 0 = 16 units of energy on 4" of compression on an unloaded spring. (not possible due to size constraints)
    Releasing from a 4" compression to a 2" compression is 16 - 4 = 12 units of energy of energy from 2" of compression on a pre-loaded spring (modded)

Make sense? Pre-loading the spring doesn't change the distance it is compressed, but since it is MORE compressed, the force is greater.

17. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Well, I have exhausted my physics knowledge so I shall just have to believe you but it sounds like you have solved the worlds energy problems if you can get more energy out of the extension of a spring than you put into compressing it

18. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

I'll try to explain it without fancy math then, although you were the one brought in the physics formulas in the first place. The unmodded gun has a spring in it that isn't fully compressed when the gun is ready to be fired. The pennies create less space in the chamber, and cocking the modded gun compresses the spring as far as it can go. Greater compression equals greater power.

19. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I love the bit-tech community. I bring you a galley of painted toy guns. You turn it into a high-level physics discussion about the energy potential of springs.

20. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

well, maybe a high-school level physics discussion...

Tags: Add Tags