1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V New Amplifier and Sub woofer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azzybish, 27 Apr 2012.

1. azzybish

azzybish What's a Dremel?

I've recently been given some Mordaunt Short MS-302 speakers from a neighbour, because they were moving and didin't need them. I want to purchase an amplifier and a sub-woofer to pair up with them, but am at a loss of what are the best options.

Here are the specifications of the speakers:

Frequency Response at 3dB
    100Hz to 20kHz
    In room frequency bandwidth
    -6dB at 62Hz / 28kHz
    Sensitivity SPL/m/2.83V
    86dB
    Cross Over Frequency
    -
    Effective Volume
    -
    Nominal impedance
    4-8 Ohms
    Amplifier Power Range
    15 to 75 watts
    Dimensions (HxWxD) in mm
    180x112x130

I have a budget of around £350. If knowing my music taste is useful, then i mostly listen to bass-heavy music like drum and bass and dubstep. For this reason i'd like to weight the money a bit more towards an awesome sub. One more reason is that the speakers are fairly small, obviously bookshelve ones, and probably lack a bit of low end oomph. They are both passive.

The current amp i'm looking at is this http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/dta-100a-class-t-digital-amplifier-50-wpc.html for around £100 which looks like exactly what im looking for, although i think it is an 8 ohm amplifier and i'm not sure if my speakers are compatible. The only problem is how i am meant to integrate a sub woofer into this set up, whilst still using passive speakers. Someone mentioned running the cables from the amp into the sub, and then from the sub to the speakers but i don't know if that requires active ones instead of passive.

Input-wise it doesn't need anything flashy like ipod docks, im fine with a 2xphono to a 3.5mm.

Thanks for reading and please offer any suggestions!

2. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

I've got slightly more powerful speakers than that and my Cambridge Audio Topaz AM1 is perfect for them, in budget too.

Subwoofer-wise, I picked up an LTC SW100 which is 100W, 10" and active (which means it's got an amp built in). Total will put you back about £190 but you won't regret it if, like me, you enjoy making your whole house shake.

3. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

The LTC SW100 is £80 on amazon is that a good price?

4. ninjaplease

ninjaplease I don't know what I'm doing

I got mine for £70 on ebay, £80 isn't extortionate. Before I got mine I did a lot of looking at different options and it was a good choice, I should stress though that the volume level gets very violent very quickly and a particularly bassy song on full volume will be audible in neighbouring houses...