1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors New Camaro is on the streets - SS on HOLD!

Discussion in 'General' started by jhanlon303, 3 Jul 2009.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Marilyn and I just saw our first NEW Camaro on the street. By the date on the temporary tags it was bought today!

Silver.

Impressions:
    Marilyn says "It looks old" - that's a positive because it's suppose to.

My impression having owned a new 1968:

Too tall, too heavy looking, rear fascia is all wrong, grill sux, wheels belong on something else but totally wrong here.

The only thing I can see they got right is the rear seat side window shape - really got the look of a 1969.

This is not Bumblebee.

2 votes against buying one - Marilyn and I both pronounce it horrid and this is suppose to save GM?

I will try to get pics this weekend.

john

/edit
    Sample pic from the web. Looks just like this. Compare that to the same siver 1969 Camaro and there will be tears, honestly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Jul 2009
  2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I've seen one at my local Chevy dealer. I love the look of them, granted the 1969 is my favorite but the new ones come in a close second

I'd buy one in a second if I had the money

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The real question everyone wants to know is, will it transform into a robot?

4. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

For 30 grand, I think I'd rather get an older Elise... Much like the new Challenger (saw one on the road the other day), the Camaro looks large and heavy, and the short windows makes it look like the interior would be a cave.

5. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I saw a bright yellow one on a flatbed truck a week or so ago. It has a lot more character than many of the vehicles out right now. However, it seems more "steroid-influenced" than the graceful muscle of the original Camaro. That said, I wouldn't turn it down if someone wanted to give me one. ;P

6. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Graceful muscle? Its a camaro, not a maserati. I think it looks great and is a modern take on the 60's original.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

hey, i kinda like it. perhaps they're trying to break the european market? not many people go in for the whole muscle look here.

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I like it, it's what a muscle car should be (imo) - big, brash and lumpy.

9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm presuming it's the second image because the silver one makes me want to puke. Second one looks pretty good, a bit more modern but still very classic.

10. jhanlon303

The second pic is a restomod real 1969 Camaro. The silver one in the 'new' one. I don't like it at all. Too much body, windows are too small, rear quarters are too pronounced and bulgy. For the price of the new one you could get into a pretty decent original Camaro.

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I don't think that silver colour suits it really, it's much nicer in Red/yellow (online at least, I've yet to see one in the real world).

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

well you see john, it is totally normal and expected that you don't love it because you already owned one before and to you the 69 model is what a Camaro MUST be (damn you must have been sad back in 97 then)

It's pretty much the same thing as if they were going to make a 3D remake of Mega Man III or even worse, Mega Man X. I wouln't care if it won game of the year, it would still suck balls to me because that would NOT be the original game I played in the past

They don't really expect former owners to buy this thing,they want new young customers and they will get them. The car does nothing to me but I can understand why some people would like it.

Also, there is nothing wrong with the wheels, we're in 2009 now, that's how things are done. If I were to buy a 69 Camaro, I would still install wheels "kinda like" I have on my car now. I have to say however that the example you showed of the 69 is very, very nice :)

edit : I also agree about the color. Silver is so damn generic and cheap there's no way you'll sell a sports car if you show it around in this damn color. I think either black, red or yellow could be cool :)

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Front is fugly, wheels are too large.. Not my style.

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Whole car is fugly, and the tail lights piss me off.

It looks like a toy car, and this is coming from someone who drives this:

[​IMG]

I would take a new Mustang or Challenger over the Camaro any day.

15. jhanlon303

I was trained as a GM mechanic in 1968. Yeah, when the original Camaro was new. You keep the new Camaro - I want this!

[​IMG]

Just like that. No changes allowed.

john

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

No matter how many Abarth-badges you slap on a 500, it's still a Fiat. I'd much rather have something.. ANYTHING German than Italian/French. I know it's stupid now that all cars are coming from the same factories, but that's the mindset for just about any sensible person living in Northern Europe.

17. Mithyx

Mithyx There is no Dremel

It looks like Chevy saw what Ford did with the new Mustangs and copied them. That being said I like them both and if I had the money I'd buy the new Camaro.

Perhaps I just have horrible taste :D

18. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

I really like the new cameros, theirs been a yellow one here for a while, just saw a red one yesterday cruising threw town wish i could get one, and all the company's are "bringing back" the classics more or less, dodge with the charger, mustang, camero. I wont complain tho!

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I lve the Abarth and I know so little about it. The 500 is nice on it's own but somehow the Abarth is even sexier.

20. Jelle46

Jelle46 Belgium

Abarth's are just amazing, the growl that comes out of them are amazing!
    I also like the camaro, but I still prefer the old muscles to the new.
    And for the french-car-hater, my favourite car is still a ...... Renault Clio Sport V6 phase II:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Jul 2009