1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking New pc and new OC challenge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antonyand, 5 May 2010.

1. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Generally speaking, my advice (for a big OC) would be to turn all the dynamic stuff off. That's:
    - C1E
    - Speedstep
    - Turbo Mode
    - C-state tech

The dynamic toys are only ever worth it if you use them all, and they are REALLY fiddly to get working well without too much voltage.

So, you just set your target clock. you want 3.8GHz, that should be doable with a very low voltage. You want to set it in absolute values though, not in offset. If the motherboard doesn't allow you to select absolute values, put it in offset mode with 0 offset and hit F10 to see what voltage it wil set it to, and work from there.

Another tip for 1156: VTT (or IMC for Asus) helps a big OC a lot, and allows you to run with much lower vCore. Also, make sure the RAM voltage isn't set too high, my Gene set it to 1.8 by default, which caused instability.

2. antonyand

antonyand mmm Jaffa Cakes

I spent another hour or so tweaking the voltage settings last niight. I tried with it at auto and that resulted with a 1.4v all the time(even when the power saving settings kicked in and the multiu was at 9x). I also tried setting the voltage, but again it didn't drop at lower multi.

Now i'm running it on Offset with the offset at 0 (like you said) I'm getting the same volts as when i had the offset at 0.15

So i'm now running at 3.8Ghz with some of the power saving features on. Ram is a little underclocked, but thats no biggie.

I left my pc on till this morning and it ran prime95 for 8 houirs withought error. :D

I think i'll leave my OC here for now. Not a massive OC but i'm super happy with the power savin modes on.

Thanks for the help Xtrafresh and i did find your two video's helpfull. :clap:

Also i did a bit more DIY on my case today, as i thought the fanless cooler on the mobo was a little crap. So i cut a 120mm fan hole on the bottom of the case, planted a fan in there and boom more cool air :D
    My next build will require a new case tho. As i think i've maxed out this one.

Cheers once again peeps for all your help, and fingers crossed this is my very last input in this thread:eek: