1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nintendo: 'Hardcore gamers will accept Wii U'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jun 2011.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Tbh in my experience there's no such thing as hardcore gamers. There are people who like to play games and there are douchebags. That's basically it right there. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader for them to decide where they lie.

supermonkey likes this.
  2. Xir

Xir Modder

[​IMG]

3. human_error

human_error What's a Dremel?

I spend most my free time playing games, so I'm probably the kind of person they're aiming for. I prefer gaming on my PC but have all the current colsoles as I enjoy playing console games as well.

I will not be buying a wii u. I had a wii and never really played on it. I'm not a big fan of Nintendo titles so what does the wii u give me that my PS3 and xbox 360 don't? Of the 3 the wii has the worse motion controls and the worst gamepads. A stupid big (yes it is big, I don't care what nintendo say - it's bigger than any other controller I hold in my hands by a good margin) controller is not going to make me buy a wii u as it doesn't enhance my games at all. They say I can look at the controller screen for some content to save space on my TV - I can only look at one at a time, so why not pop-up the content on the controller to the TV?

I, like many gamers, was burned with the Wii and the Wii U has nothing compelling to make me buy one. It has no USP other than a big controller that will annoy me more than anything else - and I would have to have one if I got a Wii U. The controller will be a waste of money when buying the console, and I don't think will be used well by any games, and if it is used well it means I may be *forced* to use the stupid thing when gaming in single player.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

You say different, I hear inferior.

5. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

A mate of mine plays games pretty much every second of free time he gets. On a 360.

I play games on my PC every 2-3 days or so. I'd say he's more of a hardcore gamer tbh.

6. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well I have a momo steering wheel with Forcefeedback and pedals and its awesome top play on PC like that So you have to add:

Racing PC > Console

And do not forget:
    Flight sim PC > Console

Console controlers suck , i will never ever buy a console I had one in 1977 it was called Pong and later I had a Atari 2600 console.

But once I got a computer with a mouse and keyboard (Atari ST) I never looked back...

7. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Quoted for emphasis, and rep added for one of the most accurate comments in this thread.

8. uz1_l0v3r

uz1_l0v3r What's a Dremel?

I'd be too embarrassed to call myself a "hardcore" or "core" gamer, but I play a lot of games, too many in fact, and I've been playing for years and years. I bought the Wii for the same reason a lot of people bought it - they wanted a novel experience not offered by the other consoles. Ultimately for me, the Wii's paltry library of decent games was what led to me selling it, after leaving it to gather dust for over a year. Super Mario Galaxy aside, the most enjoyment I got out of it was from playing old gamecube games.

9. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

Yknow. There's a lot of judgement over a console that has not even been shown playing a full game. All we've seen was a CONCEPT demo.

Everyone laughed when Nintendo brought out the Wii and everyone said they would go under like Sega. Then they freaking dominated the console sales. I don't think people should be dismissing the Wii U at this early a stage. In all honesty, the concept demo still leaves me wondering what the heck they will do with the Umote, but I'll reserve judgement until I see something thats actually reviewable.

I will fully admit, the Wii's main downfall has been lack of games. After everyone got tired of Wii sports, and then the Hardcore Nintendo Gamers completed Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess for the second time, there wasn't a lot left, besides a little Mario Kart and Smash Bros. The last Wii game I bought was Mario Galaxy, almost two years ago. That is a major fail, BUT: the Wii U stands to rectify that. How? Cross platform ports. Provided its not unusually difficult to port, since Wii U supports superior hardware and full HD, they will be able to port all the best games that the other consoles have had exclusive use of for the last 5 years. No longer will Nintendo fans have to buy another console to get the larger, shinier games. Will my father-in-law be trading in his Wii for a Wii U? NO. He got it for Wii sports and the balance board and thats all he, or many, wanted it for; he never intended to buy any other games. So the Wii U will not sell as much, I'll guarantee that, but it will still dominate, and when the 720 or ps4 comes they will sell LESS because Nintendo gamers no longer will need a second console.

Note, there is something called the Hardcore Nintendo Gamer. We just don't like the other consoles. When the Wii ran out of new games worth buying and the 360 dropped to 100$ at walmart, I grabbed a 360. I played it a couple times, then it sat there. I realized all the good games were already available on pc. Bioshock, Portal, Orange Box, etc. all those I already had on the PC, so what did I need the 360 for? As far as 360 exclusive titles... they just weren't meant for Nintendo Gamers. We're a different breed and those consoles just don't do it for us. My 360 got donated to the local childrens hospital, hopefully they can get a Kinect for it and play the new Sesame street game previewed at E3 *rolls eyes*

So, I don't think there is such a thing as a Hardcore Gamer. There's Hardcore Nintendo Gamers, Hardcore PC Gamers, Hardcore Xbox Gamers, and they are all very different types of people.

10. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

11. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Well racing I have a good steering wheel, so I'd rather be playing something like Shift 2 Unleashed on my PC than anything else. And then platforms, I played Trine on the PC and it was a LOT better on PC than it was on the ps3, so include racers and platformers on the PC too.

Dancing games yeah whatever ;p But tbh, I have a 360 controller on my PC so I get the best of both worlds anyway, consoles don't. Consoles are entry level gaming on the cheap. They are great for that, but it's not for hardcore gaming.

12. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

This! I'd say this is probably the truest representation of what a "hardcore" gamer is.
    Hardcore is more a measure of how often you play, and wether you play a title for more than 5 hours before moving on to the next one.

/rant.start
    To further clarify, I feel PC and the xbox are the primary "hardcore" platforms, with PS3 being enthusiast, and nintendo being for the casual.

This all comes down to the type of games available to each platform as well as how the controllers are optimised for certain styles of play. Imagine WoW on the wii... That would be interesting..

It also is related to the size of the community generated by it. Xbox is huge when it comes to YouTube stuff (mostly cod yes, but still). PC has a large community across a lot of games. You'll find that there's a lot of 'clans/guilds' on the PC. Again mainly on the FPS and MMORPG genres.

Someone who dedicates a lot of time to gaming, and bases part/all of their social life through games is hardcore. The kid who sits at home and plays Mario/Zelda 24/7 on his own isnt hardcore, he's just sad.. Lol..

The fact that nintendo are trying to dub the Wii U as a hardcore platform is a bit flimsy, how many games are going to be as community oriented as cod/battlefield or various mmorpgs? TBH it's the ONLINE multiplayer that makes a game/platform hardcore.

/rant.end

13. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Oh and to quote the article title:
    "Hardcore gamers will accept the WiiU" as a casual platform :D

14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I am a HARDCORE GAMER and im sorry but i wont accept WII,i think its crap compared to OLDER/GOOD games from the 80s!!

Ms. PACMAN,Frogger,Pacmania,Donkey Kong,Dig dug,etc... NOW THOSE ARE GOOD GAMES!!

Tags: Add Tags