1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No HDTV For me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by :: kna ::, 6 Jan 2006.

1. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I really doubt Microsoft is going to die because of Vista.

We're talking about one of the world's largest corporations here. Even if Vista totally fails, they still have Office, developer tools, their Macintosh front, and their server solutions, as well as peripherals.

2. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

How in gods name would a version of windows ever "fail"

3. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I know what your saying, when watching a football game(american style) when switching from cable to antenna broadcast there was a quality increase going to the antenna, all the cable company does is recieves it on its antennas and charges you for it because it came in on their lines. I see the artifacts too sometimes, it looks like when i used my p2 400mhz to encode video, while running HL.

4. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Steve Jobs finally rips off his black turtleneck to unveil a pentacle, and finally reveal that he is the son of Satan, and then damn Microsoft and its users to Hell?

Anyways, HDTV is kind of difficult to get anyways. Most televisions who claim they are HDTV don't support the true 1080/720 standards. It also seems that any widescreen TV is labeled HDTV now, hoping that the "HDTV compadible" will be looked over, while true HDTVs cost a good fortune.

5. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

i can find in panama hdtv 42" plasma tv for 1500$ that is cheap

yesterday i watched in my 2405fpw a videoclip 1080p and everytime i see something in the SDTV is like going back ten years ago ....

HDTV is the future why negate to it, this remind me ppl complaining about CS Source cuz it wasnt the same as CS omg get over it and just wait for the future

6. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

CHEAP! ~£850 for a TV is NOT cheap. Especially when you can get a good quality 28"-32" for £250-350

7. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

can you really compare it???? have you seen 42" not talk something bigger than that is just superb colors image quality 720p or 1080i SDTV wont do the trick for me anymore they just look like old tv from the 80 and i have good crt in my house but for me HDTV and any content in more than 720p is the future resistence is futile xD

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

if i were to buy a 1500$ tv every time a new technology came out i would go bankrupt.

i would not buy M$ office and every one i know either use a copy of office or uses a open source office like open office, no one i know can buy office here because it sells at about 400€. as for other stuff i have found that a lot of linux based OS have more power than any windows based OS.

their Macintosh front???? they have a Macintosh front? i did not know i thought they were rivals :rolleyes:

remember sinclair? he had a BIG company he went bankrupt because off a tricicle he invented LOL

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

DXR 12KE, your certainty is intresting, but I think misplaced.

Microsoft, today, right now, could stop selling anything, stop making a single cent, and they could continue doing exactly what they're doing today, making all the same thing, developing all the same new pieces of software, hiring all those tens of thousands of people with massive sallerys, for 5 years. They have stated this before, that they do actually have a contingency fund that big, and believe me Microsoft are into a lot more then providing OS's and office suites to home users. Enterprise level software from them will cost hundreds or thousands per lisence per year. Office lisences for large companies will bring in hundreds of thousands per year, per company, then you've got the fact that nearly every OEM in the world, and they are the number one source for PC's for the masses, use Microsoft Windows XP home edition™

Microsofts decline will never be quick, it would take a long time for them to become even a moderate company, as oppose to a large monopoly, and I think the best hope anyone has for that right now is google, but like I said, Microsoft have the money to last 5 years exactly as is, without making a cent, they're big and they won't fail just because of one OS.

10. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I disagree with some points of this well written, condesending article.

I think the Time for HDTV's is obviosly now, because buying an SDTV to a consumer would be like buying a socket 478 mobo with X8 agp to me. Everyone wants to be a little "future proof"...

And besides, if the X-crotch is driving sales up 70% on HDTV's, that will further be propelled by the PS3, Nintendo Revolution, HD/Blu-ray media and so on.

Even if I buy a new top-O-the line Pc, why in the fork would I even buy a CRT or LCD? I'd get a 42' inch HD ready Plasma screen to play FEAR on...

Clams

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Can an article even be condecending, when its not aimed at a specific person? Hmm.

I disagree with you though Nature, I think a high quality SDTV is fine for most consumers, considering that most people buy the cheapest piece of crap they can find in Comet(or your electrical retailer of choice), if people were to actually buy high quality SDTV's they probably be alot happier then if they just buy another low quality tv but this time in HDTV.

So I think, yes HDTV is usefull, but not because it looks fantastic, but because the price of high quality SDTV's, that were aimed at large budget people, is going to plummet as the people with large budgets buy high quality HDTV's, thus, us poorer folk can buy a great TV for a brilliant price.

12. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

For the people saying to me OMG WHY WOULDN'T YOU BUY AN HDTV NOW? Please re-read the article.

The whole point is that people are banging on about how much those of us who don't have HDTV capable sets suck, when in reality the market penetration is still quite small and there will be two whole consoles which support HD this year.

There is still no incentive to upgrade.

So yes, I would buy an HDTV, IF I WAS GOING TO BUY A TV THIS OR EVEN NEXT YEAR, but as it stands my current set is perfectly acceptable.

13. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Hey swine, I make 300$ USD a month in friggin' Jinan: I'm broke too. But other uneducated, unprofessional, consumers like myself looking to buy a new living room set are not gonna wanna buy another one in three years ( like what dude was talking about in this article about his).

Usually when people make a big buy, they do a little research in that field (unless they're a drug dealer, stupid rich, or both), and those people who count they're change (or in my case mao) really want the best bang for they're buck in the long run. Buy a HUGE sdtv now (yeah that looks so cooL!), or wait 4 months and get somthin' ye can lookith at with pride for years to come.

I've the same delima now with buying a pentium M lappy with a 7800 Go or saving even longer (without great games and stuck playing CS 1.5 for what seems like eternity) for a Yonah that will undenibly be a smarter buy. I know I should wait and will, because patients in all things is "golden".

Back on my hippie commune in California, I would never be advocating for buying a TV... I need to be slapped...

14. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Watching Laker games in High Definition is incentive enough for me :D

And I'd much rather a 42 inch plasma screen be my computer moniter than something smaller at equal price like that Dell thing..

Clams

15. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

This article seems more like an entire rant against the xbox 360 instead of actually a rant against HDTV's but eh. I guess its different for you guys in Europe. Over here in america HDtv is florishing quite well, most sports games are broadcasted in High Definition Television and more channels are opening up each month.

But i do agree that people should wait to buy an HDtv unless they watch a hellalot of sports games or movies. Dvd's may not be in a HD resolution but they look a hellalot better on an HDtv than on a normal television. So does my trust old ps2, gamecube, and i'm pretty sure the x360 looks better on an HDtv.

Have you even thought about using an HDtv for computer use? I know a few people who have medium sized plasma televisions mounted on there desks to be used as a computer monitor. Or people who just run a line from there computer to the HDtv in another room/in the same room and output a movie to it anytime they want too.

16. Nature

Nature Minimodder

What did Me's just post....?!!>!!?

Clams

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Did you even read KNA's reply? The whole point is that HDTV is all well and good if you actually want a new TV set, his point was that he doesn't need a new one, and since few other people are using them, theres no limitation based on having an SDTV.

If your reply was aimed at me, then I wasn't talking about buying an expensive SDTV over an equally expensive HDTV, I was talking about HDTV being supurb for people who can't afford it(not in a, oh if only I had £10 more way, but in a "I'd buy an HDTV if I had £800 more way), because its driven the price of high quality SDTV's down, so that instead of getting a crappy SDTV you can get a decent SDTV.

On a side note, I heard a theory that the reason us europeans aren't so keen on HDTV is that we used PAL which had a higher level of quality then NTSC, whether the 50 or so extra lines make much of a difference I'm not sure, but its a theory nonetheless.

18. Nature

Nature Minimodder

As I wrote: "Buy a HUGE sdtv now (yeah that looks so cooL!), or wait 4 months and get somthin' ye can lookith at with pride for years to come." You can get a killer deal on a big-ass sdtv, but I'm just saying you could save for four more months (depending on ye income) and buy an HD. AND THEY DO NOT COST 800 QUID MORE...

All I was saying is that even if ye don't need a new set now, the next one you buy next will/should be HD ready for your comsuming concience! Hence, the HD era is born and growning like young pig... no pun..

Clams

19. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

What's sad about HDTV sets is that they offer lower picture quality than newer projectors in the same price range. Nevermind the fact that here in the states there's next-to-nothing being broadcast in HDTV that would make a person want to switch.

I'm getting a projector. I have yet to see an impressive HDTV unit that I could justify spending any money on.

20. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

o_O You have a dedicated room where you can control the light levels to use a projector to watch tv?

Tags: Add Tags