1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi No Man's Sky

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by iancowell, 9 Aug 2016.

1. Toka

Toka Minimodder

Hey Folks :)

Was well aware of the TotalBiscuit panning that this (PC port of the) game got, along with the reviews on steam etc. Decided to purchase anyway as it cant possibly be more masochistic than j space in EVE, and i wanted a 'dip in' kind of chill out game.

First impressions are good from me, it plays a lot like you would think having watched some streams. Do some exploring, gather some stuff, swear at the ship flight controls and manage your inventory. Nothing here is very difficult, everything is very pretty and it appeals to me in a sandboxy roaming around type of way.

Ive been a bit proactive with settings, software updates and .xml file changes. The port of this game is obviously a bit **** but with a beer in hand and the Olympics on the other screen all is well, aside from the ship flight controls... Im playing on a GTX 670, 3770k, 16GB Ram, Windows 10, SSD and the settings mentioned by the OP in this thread work fine for me. Everything is very pretty, everything is very sandboxy, everything is very enjoyable in a relaxing kind of a way. (Did you ever try the beta of Cube World? sort of like that.)

tldr: deffo avoid if you want something structured, fast paced, or not a **** port. If your after a relaxed game maybe update your drivers and give it a go for an hour (remember steam refund policy)

edit: beer happened

Last edited: 13 Aug 2016
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I think my spidey sense saved me on this occasion. I'll pick this up when it's 50-75% off as I have quite a few other games I want to get around to playing.

3. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198021551803/recommended/275850/

"No man's exploration

When I see the words "Procedural Generation" listed on any game description box that is generally enough reason for me to click the "not interested" button and move on. While the idea is a sound one - that no two adventures or playthroughs will ever be the same thanks to randomization - the reality is far from that, however, thanks to the continued limited assets and textures that seem to ship with these kinds of games that make them a lot more alike and "samey" than the promise of "awesome randomization" and "an endless toy box of possibilities" would have you believe. The size of the games Steam download was already a dead giveaway at 2.5GB. If developers spent half as much time developing textures and assets in these randomized types of games in much the same way that those that actually develop fully realized digital worlds would then maybe it wouldn't be such a problem.

Yet here we are again with a single asset being fobbed off as something "new" simply because it's been resized or reskinned. While I was not certainly expecting a small team to handcraft 18 000 000 000 000 planets (I am not unreasonable or crazy here) but just looking at several streams of the game, friends screenshots and my own time spent in the game - it's amazing how similar everything looks for everyone despite us all starting on different planets with different biomes. The only real differences are the stark contrasts in color with a lot of it bordering on the point of oversaturation. "

Read link for more.

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Can't say I agree with all the points raised in that review tbh.

I've not had any issues when attacked by multiple sentries at the same time even when I started. I've killed off 30 'drones' and 3 sentry ships in the time I've been playing. If you use the more efficient energy sources for your suit/tools you spend less time mining them and more time exploring/mining the valuable resources.

A lot of the planets do feel a little samey though, but to me at least it doesn't really take anything away from the game so far, some have been rich in valuable resources, some have had almost nothing worth staying around for, some have been such a pita (weather, radiation etc..) that I've left them even alone. This may change in another 10/20 hours but so far there has been enough variation across the planets I've visited to stop me from thinking this is exactly the same as planet 'X' was

I can't say that I've had to 'grind' any more than any other game tbh, the inventory system isn't perfect but not difficult to use, and as you get ship/exosuit upgrades to increase your inventory sizes life becomes quite easy.

If you take it for what it is, and not what the hype suggested it is worth playing, is it worth £40 probably not for most people, would I buy it again at £40........Yes.

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

It's bizarre to complain the game is a 'mere 2.3 GB', when the original Elite managed to cram into well under 1MB.

It seems a lot of peoples' complaints boil down to them having no idea what a procedurally generated space exploration game actually is, then being surprised at it being a procedurally generated space game.
    Before buying a game, it's generally a good idea to consult what the game is actually like, rather than what people hyping themselves into a frenzy on the internet imagine it might be.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I don't get why people actually care about install size. Plenty of crap games use up 10s of GB after all.

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I wonder if star citizen doubled its staff count would it bring a better game sooner or would the balance of efforts vs staff count not realize any faster progression in development.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd imagine that once you go above a certain level, the project becomes harder to manage, and efficiency per employee goes down.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

game install size does not determain how good a game is lol. Minecraft anybody it's like a 1gb download. I'll be honest I have not read a single video game review in years. I watch the odd stream of somebody playing it and if I like what I see I will buy it.

Reviews are such personal things, you will find someone that loves it and someone that hates it.

I did used to check for any performance issues a game may have, do not even bother with that anymore as was always the case in PC gaming chuck more hardware at the problem works 99% of the time.

10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I did plenty of research before pulling the trigger. I love space games, always have, so I knew it was my sort of game from the outset. If it does get boring I'll stick it on eBay but so far so good. I fired it up at 10pm last night and the next thing I knew it was 3am :)

11. Stanley Tweedle

Last edited: 14 Aug 2016
  12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

No DirectInput, just Xinput, so map your HOTAS to a virtual Xinput device as with most other games nowadays.

13. Stanley Tweedle

Eh? You're not talking about using a 3rd party joystick app are you?

14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

No Man's Sky certainly seems to polarise opinions, definitely a love it or hate it game. Seems to me it might be best to wait for the price to get discounted.

15. Stanley Tweedle

See you this time next year.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Fine by me, will probably have VR support by then.

17. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Me too.

18. oscy

oscy Modder

Well done, you've written a review after 1.2 hours of gameplay.

The creepy thing is how it's affecting everyone except those that are enjoying it, even the people who haven't even played it. People are actually pushing a conspiracy theory that everyone who is having a fine time is in denial.

I guess we now know what happens when a niche nerd game gets AAA backing, and it's scary.

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Err, unless I'm getting the wrong end of the stick, he's actually played more - that's just the time on that particular Steam account.

20. oscy

oscy Modder

He has more than one account?

And has the game on more than one?

o_O