Graphics No system sounds after Catalyst 13.4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 3Dbuild, 28 Apr 2013.

1. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hi,

Please can you help me fix my system sounds?

Everything was working fine until I updated my graphics card drivers to AMD Catalyst 13.4. After installation my PC took ages to re-boot and seemed to get stuck on the Windows 7 logo screen. After booting my desktop icons took some time to refresh themselves to how they should be. I also noticed that the speaker icon in the task bar briefly showed itself as muted? As a result I now have no Windows system sounds.

Thus I rolled back the drivers to version 13.1, boot time and desktop icon refresh seems to be back to normal. But the speaker icon still briefly shows it is muted and I still have no system sounds?

Note:

All other sounds are ok, I can listen to media player and internet radio fine.
    There are no device manager errors for any of my hardware.

ATI HD 6870 (Catalyst 13.1)
    Asus P6X58D-E
    Realtek High Definition Audio (on board)
    No additional soundcard

Thanks in advance

2. 3Dbuild

3Dbuild Minimodder

Hmm, very strange;

After looking at the volume mixer nothing was showing as muted. So i double clicked the system sounds icon to mute / un-mute and now the sounds are working again??? I hope this has fixed it for good rather than a temporary fix?

I havent re-booted yet to see if it stays this way...

After re-booting the sounds are back - what do you think has caused this and have i fixed it for good?

Last edited: 28 Apr 2013